Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM

26 posts, read 67,754 times

Advertisements

We currently reside in Maryland and will be moving back North. Jobs are not an issue. Mother in Law lives in Columbus and we are looking in Riverton, Moorestown, and Cinnaminson. Looked around Moorestown and liked it.

SOME QUESTIONS:

Riverton - because of its close proximity to the river is there a problem with flooding?

Moorestown - I noticed that some of the houses were right up on the train tracks. How often does the train go through? I am assuming it goes through slowly. Do most people send their kids to public school? I noticed a Catholic school and a Friends school (Quaker right?).

I would like to live in a neighborhood where my kids and I can hop on our bikes and ride. Moorestown seemed to have a park next to 38 that had a path we could ride. Does Riverton or Cinnaminson have any trails? I also would like a good Main Street where we can walk to and establish relationships with the mom and pop stores. I don't want to hop in my car every time I need something.

I would like to stay around my mother in law so she can see the kids often. Our budget tops out at $300. Schools are important too.

Any help would be great...Thanks

Brigid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
This is our area... All three areas are excellent.. No flooding in Riverton.. Great elementary school in Riverton but there is no high school so kids go to Pamlyma HS. Its ok but not as good as Moorestown or Cinnaminson HS. Yes, there are parks and trails in Cinnaminson. We ride our mountain bikes from Cinnamnson to Moorestown. Its a *wonderful* area to raise a family.. You won't be sorry

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Given your budget and desire for schools, I would have to say Cinnaminson is the best choice.

Riverton - No flooding and like frank said, great elementary, but the kids go to Palmyra HS which isn't as good as the others. It is a very charming town though.

Moorestown - One of the premier communities in South Jersey with prices to match. One of the best school districts and a nice downtown, but it is pricey. As for the train, I used to live about a block from the train tracks and it comes through once or twice a day. It runs very slowly and the trains are usually short. To be honest, we stopped noticing it after a couple weeks of living there.

Cinnaminson - To me it strikes the balance between Riverton and Moorestown. It has a great school system and youth programs, lots of amenities and is still affordable. Frank will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the more desirably areas are the ones to the east of Route 130.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Yeah, if you go with Riverton you'd want to have a private or Catholic school plan for HS from what I understand. Moorestown would be the top pick.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Thank you - a few more questions

Thank you all for your quick responses. Just a few more questions---

My family currently owns a deli in the DC area and are preparing to sell. We may consider doing the same in New Jersery. I saw on Craigslist that Cioci's Deli in Riverton is for sale.

Is the location of the deli a good area?
Are there many delis in the area?
Are there any bagel shops nearby? I saw a pizza shop Milanese, I believe.

Does Cinnaminson have a Main Street that has mom and pop shops?

Brigid

Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
t,

Cinnaminson - To me it strikes the balance between Riverton and Moorestown. It has a great school system and youth programs, lots of amenities and is still affordable. Frank will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the more desirably areas are the ones to the east of Route 130.
correct.. Plus this puts us near downtown Morestown which is a fantastic area..

Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Cioci's is in Riverton in an excellent area.. There are no other delis in the area.. We def need a good Italian deli here!! No bagel shops nearby either.. You have a perfect market right there.. Cinnaminson does not have a main street. Moorestown does and it right down the street. Here is a street level at the deli now. Its the building on the left..

riverton nj - Google Maps

and the park across the street from the deli. Wonderful area..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rivert...,0.009645&z=17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigid68 View Post
Thank you all for your quick responses. Just a few more questions---

My family currently owns a deli in the DC area and are preparing to sell. We may consider doing the same in New Jersery. I saw on Craigslist that Cioci's Deli in Riverton is for sale.

Is the location of the deli a good area?
Are there many delis in the area?
Are there any bagel shops nearby? I saw a pizza shop Milanese, I believe.

Does Cinnaminson have a Main Street that has mom and pop shops?

Brigid

Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,314 times
I can answer your questions about Moorestown. I grew up in this town, then moved to Manhattan and the New York suburbs after college. Once I got married and we decided to raise a family, I knew Moorestown was where we wanted to be. It is the perfect place to raise a family. It is safe, the neighborhoods are close-knit and friendly, and the public schools rank among the top schools in the state. The real estate prices can be very high, but there are some affordable homes.

The train (an old freight train) goes through town twice day - once around 3pm and once around 8pm. It goes VERY slow (you could practically walk next to it), so it doesn't rattle windows or anything. It does blow a loud whistle at every interesection, but it doesn't really seem to bother anyone.

Most people send their kids to public school because the schools are so good, but there are a few who send their kids to Moorestown Friends, Westfield Friends, OLGC (the Catholic School), or other private schools in the area. Many of the students who attend Friends and OLGC are from out of town. If you have very young kids, there are more than a dozen preschools to choose from.

You can hop on bikes and ride just about anywhere. We live a few blocks from Main Street, and I walk or ride bikes or scooters with my kids on most nice days. We always run into people we know, which is part of the fun. We like to visit the pretzel store and get 3 big, fresh, soft pretzels for $1.50. My kids also love the Happy Hippo toy store and the ice cream shop. You can get almost anything you need on Main Street or at the awesome hardware store a block off Main, on Mill St. The only thing we don't have anymore is a grocery store downtown. It closed about 3 years ago.

Taxes are a little high, but 67% of the taxes go to the public schools, so you will get bang for your buck if you have school-aged children.

There are plenty of homes available in the 300 range, especially if you're willing to put a little work into the house.

Good luck with your house hunt and your move! Hope this helped.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Thank you all and we can't wait to move...

Will keep you posted

Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM

excellent post.. All true too. I just discovered the hardware store in Moorestown this winter. What a wonderful place.. Westfield friends is in Cinnamison though.. About 2.5 miles from Moorestown. Another great school too too.. How about that famous sledding hill off main street? Its where the flexible flyer sled was made and tested. Had a great time there this winter ... Ya know brigid68, you can ask us about any homes you guys are interesed in and we wil give you an honest opinion on that particular area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoxhay View Post
I can answer your questions about Moorestown. I grew up in this town, then moved to Manhattan and the New York suburbs after college. Once I got married and we decided to raise a family, I knew Moorestown was where we wanted to be. It is the perfect place to raise a family. It is safe, the neighborhoods are close-knit and friendly, and the public schools rank among the top schools in the state. The real estate prices can be very high, but there are some affordable homes.

The train (an old freight train) goes through town twice day - once around 3pm and once around 8pm. It goes VERY slow (you could practically walk next to it), so it doesn't rattle windows or anything. It does blow a loud whistle at every interesection, but it doesn't really seem to bother anyone.

Most people send their kids to public school because the schools are so good, but there are a few who send their kids to Moorestown Friends, Westfield Friends, OLGC (the Catholic School), or other private schools in the area. Many of the students who attend Friends and OLGC are from out of town. If you have very young kids, there are more than a dozen preschools to choose from.

You can hop on bikes and ride just about anywhere. We live a few blocks from Main Street, and I walk or ride bikes or scooters with my kids on most nice days. We always run into people we know, which is part of the fun. We like to visit the pretzel store and get 3 big, fresh, soft pretzels for $1.50. My kids also love the Happy Hippo toy store and the ice cream shop. You can get almost anything you need on Main Street or at the awesome hardware store a block off Main, on Mill St. The only thing we don't have anymore is a grocery store downtown. It closed about 3 years ago.

Taxes are a little high, but 67% of the taxes go to the public schools, so you will get bang for your buck if you have school-aged children.

There are plenty of homes available in the 300 range, especially if you're willing to put a little work into the house.

Good luck with your house hunt and your move! Hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia