Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,976 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated from florida to new jersey due to my husband's job. we are wanting to a house in an area that is safe and family friendly. does anyone know anything about cinnaminson? it looks very quaint and the houses are beautiful, but i have been able to find very little about the town itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeladd View Post
We are being relocated from florida to new jersey due to my husband's job. we are wanting to a house in an area that is safe and family friendly. does anyone know anything about cinnaminson? it looks very quaint and the houses are beautiful, but i have been able to find very little about the town itself.
i have family there. i'm no expert, but from what i've seen, it's a lovely town with good schools. they are very happy there.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Cinnaminson's a tricky dance. The positive aspect of it is that it is in Burlington County, not Camden County. In fact, it's the last town on the 130 corridor, before you hit Pennsauken, which is in Camden County. Of all the towns in Burlington County on the 130 corridor, I'd rank Cinnaminson the most desirable to live in. That's not saying much however. Cinnaminson is what an urban planner would consider to be an 'inner ring' suburb of Philadelphia, which is to say, it was developed in the second half of the 20th century, as the car began to influence where and how people live. To that end, it's your older flavor suburb, with plenty of 1960s-70s split level/bi-level housing area. It's pretty generic in that sense, but it serves as a transition between some poor areas in closer proximity to Philly (Think Pennsauken, Magnolia and Gloucester City) but also abuts some of the most desirable towns in South Jersey (Think Moorestown). The rule of thumb in this area is that you want to live east of rt 130, where the housing is a little more desirable. The closer you can live in Cinnaminson to Moorestown, the better the neighborhood will be. As Tahiti said, the school system is certainly better than almost any school system in Florida (I think only Coral Springs, Naples and Mount Dora in Florida are ranked higher) but is merely a little above average in comparison to the rest of Burlington County. However, it is Burlington County, which is key. In terms of location, you can be in Center City Philly for entertainment inside of 20 minutes.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,663 times
I think there are better choices in Burlington County. The Lenape district is a good one. Try towns that feed into it.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM

51 posts, read 169,707 times
My family and I are also relocating to the South Jersey area. My husband will be working in Salem, NJ. We are not sure if we are going to be living in South Jersey or PA. I know that the taxes are extremely high in NJ. We have three children (two of which are attending elementary school). We want an area that has excellent schools and is a safe, family community. Please let me know what you decide.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellys3angels View Post
My family and I are also relocating to the South Jersey area. My husband will be working in Salem, NJ. We are not sure if we are going to be living in South Jersey or PA. I know that the taxes are extremely high in NJ. We have three children (two of which are attending elementary school). We want an area that has excellent schools and is a safe, family community. Please let me know what you decide.
If your husband is working in Salem, and you want good schools with a safe family community, definitely do NOT consider Salem. As is the case with most county seats, Salem has high crime, and is generally run down and undesirable. In fact, for a semi-rural county, Salem as the county seat of Salem County, is one of the most undesirable county seats in the entire state. Good alternatives within 30 minutes include Mullica Hill (my favorite, with a quaint downtown) Mantua, Woolwich, and East Greenwich. All these towns afford your husband easy access to Exit 2 on the Turnpike, which is important, because it's only about 10-12 miles to exit 1 and Rt 49, which is very bad, traffic wise, going into Salem that time of morning. In fact, it's almost a reverse commute of sorts.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 48,892 times
What about Moorestown versus Cherry Hill? Any big pros or cons between those two? Commuting isn't an issue, the job is in Cherry Hill. I'm thinking more from the perspective of schools, crime, shopping and neighbourhoods. Any significant differences?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellys3angels View Post
My family and I are also relocating to the South Jersey area. My husband will be working in Salem, NJ. We are not sure if we are going to be living in South Jersey or PA. I know that the taxes are extremely high in NJ.
You could even live in Delaware. It's closer to Salem than PA and most likely has the lowest taxes out of them all.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkmuffin View Post
What about Moorestown versus Cherry Hill? Any big pros or cons between those two? Commuting isn't an issue, the job is in Cherry Hill. I'm thinking more from the perspective of schools, crime, shopping and neighbourhoods. Any significant differences?
Moorestown would be your best bet as far as your perspectives are concerned,but it can be very expensive. There are still some nice areas of Cherry Hill but from what I am seeing it is getting very built up and more of a 'mix' of people now.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 48,892 times
Thanks StuckPA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia