Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
So then, by your logic, if "bignhfamily" had his son killed, then killed the guy (as he said he'd do), he should be "taken out back and die from lead poisoning" as well?
Oh well, then so be it. I'd follow that sick bastard to hell and torture him for eternity.
I try to live as Jesus did, but when it comes to my kids......well, I'm far from perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I don't know everything. Do you?

I'm really lousy on juries. I can see both sides, and my gut feeling tends to be decisive, quick, and harsh. sometimes my brain comes and says, what if.....
Wanna - I see you point and I do understand where you're coming from. But, and it really is a huge BUT, then I go and I put myself in the poor wee lad's mother's shoes. I think "what if it were my son?" And truth be told, I can only go so far because it is just entirely too awful to even contemplate. There are no adequate words.

Let me give you a very, very poor analogy: my cats killing rabbits. Good grief, you ought to see me when the rabbit screams (and they do scream). I have an all too vivid imagination, I know; but it's the thought (or in the case of rabbits, the reality) of the fear, the abject terror, the suffering of fighting to live.

And what is the death for? Pure cruelty? Evil incarnate? No, like you I don't know everything either and I don't have an answer but I do find it hard to see a purpose.

But what I do have an answer to is how I would feel as a mother; a mother who would spend the rest of her life haunted by the fact that the last moments of her son's life were spent in terror or in pain.

As tragic as it is, the wee lad's dead. He can suffer no more. I feel it is his family, especially his parents, to whom we, as a society, have an obligation. And that obligation is best fulfilled by keeping the man who committed the crime behind bars for the rest of his natural life.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:22 AM

263 posts, read 859,593 times
I can totally see your point also WANNA. I had a younger sister (now passed on at only 25 years old) who was disabled physically, not mentally in any way. She was my best friend. She suffered for years with surgery after surgery, painful procedures, being made fun of as a young girl in public school, having to endure her life (most of it in pain) knowing that she probably would not live to see 30 years old. The point of her suffering??? Why would a loving forgiving God put someone through a life like that? What kind of life was that you may ask?? Well, she had a grander purpose in life. She inspired all of us in her family to live better lives, be better people. She never ever complained about any of her pain. She was super smart, always happy, always looking to help someone else in any way she could. She touched the lives of SO many people, people who only knew her very briefly AND those who knew her for her whole life. So.............. is there a reason things happen in the life?? I believe so. I would have taken her pain away if I could have, but we are only human and cannot do things like that. But, she taught me so much in her short life that I KNOW she had a bigger purpose being on this planet.
I'm sure most people who lose a loved on, no matter how they are lost to us, can come out on the other side feeling lucky to have known that person and feel they are better because of that person.

So anyway, of course it is dreadfully painful for the family of the poor little boy. I can totally understand that. But maybe in the end, they can feel as if there was a bigger purpose for his short life. And although I have also been feeling very strongly towards the child killer and what I would like to see done to him, I feel as if no matter what happens to him - in the end it doesn't bring the boy back and maybe we can all try to see that there was something bigger in mind. Something we may not understand right now, but that we will in time.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 AM

10,033 posts, read 15,683,188 times
The victim's mother hasn't forgotten, and it doesn't sound like she's forgiven, either:

Mom fears killer will strike again - BostonHerald.com

I'm amazed this guy made it out of prison alive.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,925 times
Quote:
So then, by your logic, if "bignhfamily" had his son killed, then killed the guy (as he said he'd do), he should be "taken out back and die from lead poisoning" as well?
There is no logic to it. If you MURDER someone you deserve to die. If bignhfamily avenges his son's death by killing the man who murdered his son IMO it would be a good kill and he should be given an award.

Come by my house and try to harm one of my boys and see what happens.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,868 times
Quote:
Difference between murger and killing, justifiable and not justifiable. But it takes an adult to see the diffference.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,854,274 times
I am against capital punishment, but want to see life in prison without parole for cases such as these. If I were the judge, I would have told Raymond Guay that he could get out of jail when John Lindovski rises from the dead and can walk the earth again...
"Found Jesus"? Who can tell whether someone has really repented for their sins? Guay will die some day and he'll get to the next stage where God will look into his soul and judge whether he has truly repented or not. In the mean time, he should be in a concrete cell where he cannot harm anyone. He forfeited his freedom in 1972...

Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM

680 posts, read 2,441,393 times
I agree with Seamush.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM

105 posts, read 208,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
Difference between murger and killing, justifiable and not justifiable. But it takes an adult to see the diffference.
Sorry Charles Bronson, but revenge killing is murder. Now theoretically, there are instances where it would be appropriate. Having a child killed by some sick bastard is clearly one. Unfortunately though, there are necessary laws against such behavior, and I'd say it takes an adult to see that.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,925 times
Quote:
Sorry Charles Bronson, but revenge killing is murder. Now theoretically, there are instances where it would be appropriate. Having a child killed by some sick bastard is clearly one. Unfortunately though, there are necessary laws against such behavior, and I'd say it takes an adult to see that.
Revenge killing of a murderer is appropriate in my book, but then I've carried a rifle in a foreign country so I understand that certain things must be done no matter how horrible you may feel they are.

Your perfect liberal pretend world reminds me of this speech:

Quote:
Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
As the speech implies, I really don't give a damn what you feel is necessary when someone kills a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire