Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 04:23 PM

155 posts, read 136,178 times

Advertisements

What are people's current thoughts on Hillsborough today? I read some spotty reviews in these threads. It looks like there are some decent restaurants in town, a river walking trail, and lots of nice nature. One thing that I especially appreciate is that there does not appear to be an airport around. Most rural towns seem to have them but I am looking to get away from mechanical noises.

The low cost of the property is appealing to me. I have a nice job in Manchester and I want a low-cost home which would give me the opportunity to retire early.

One of the commenters said that people are cliquey. I would like to know more about this. I am leaving a place described as "cliquey", but that is not the right descriptor. People here glare at outsiders and the contempt for them can ooze (that is not why I am leaving and there are lots of friends here because they aren't from here either). I don't mind the former but the latter does not sound great.

Anything else I should know?

Thank you in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 04:37 PM

I also like the tax rate and the availability of city sewer and water

Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 PM

199 posts, read 180,960 times
I'm always skeptical of posts on CD that claim that people in New Hampshire, or from certain areas of NH, do not like outsiders. Reasons being that I put 30k a year on my car in NH driving to all parts of the state on a regular basis, and I've never seen this; and secondly, because two-thirds of adults in New Hampshire are not even from the state. Odds are that wherever you move to in NH, that well over half the adults are not even from there.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:32 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post Is Hillsboro on any MHT flight paths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysky View Post
One thing that I especially appreciate is that there does not appear to be an airport around. Most rural towns seem to have them but I am looking to get away from mechanical noises.
It is possible that Hillsboro is on a flight path despite the distance from an airport.

What about mechanical noise from generators, snowmobiles, and engine braking?

Quote:
One of the commenters said that people are cliquey. I would like to know more about this. I am leaving a place described as "cliquey", but that is not the right descriptor. People here glare at outsiders and the contempt for them can ooze (that is not why I am leaving and there are lots of friends here because they aren't from here either). I don't mind the former but the latter does not sound great.
That does sound bad.

What you'll hear people say about Northern New Englanders in general is that they tend to be appear cold and distant, not overly welcoming to newcomers. There's also the attitude that it's not worth getting too close to a newcomer from points south until after they've weathered a couple of winters here, just to see if they're really going to stick it out.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 02-24-2020 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-24-2020, 01:30 PM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Quote:
<snip>

A lot of people are from elsewhere. But they left "elsewhere" for a reason and want to be sure that others coming from "elsewhere" aren't looking to change rural NH into what "elsewhere" is. There's been enough of that already. So if you are self-sufficient, don't want to change where you're moving to, are willing to jump in and get involved, and give as much as you expect to get from people, you will find New Hampshire to be a very welcoming place. I've been here coming up on 3 years now and feel like I've been here forever, and have made some very good friends. Everyone has been very welcoming. (And yes, Nonesuch is right about people being a little leery of southerners moving here; many decide it's not for them after all and soon leave. I faced that as well, coming from Florida. Many thought I'd never stick it out.)

Old 02-24-2020, 01:47 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Northern New Englanders are very respectful of other people's privacy. That's one reason we get called cold or aloof. It also means we won't be poking our noses in your business either.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Northern New Englanders are very respectful of other people's privacy. That's one reason we get called cold or aloof. It also means we won't be poking our noses in your business either.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I hope so. A commenter elsewhere on here went on about how the cliquey people in Hillsborough are extremely nosy and get all up in people's business. I am a New Englander from Mass and have been considered cold and aloof myself. I lived in Western ME as a kid for five years.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:49 PM

[quote=Nonesuch;57411731]It is possible that Hillsboro is on a flight path despite the distance from an airport.

What about mechanical noise from generators, snowmobiles, and engine braking?

thank you for that great map link!

Other types of mechanical noises are predictable. Airports are expanding like mad and they have no curfews.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
[quote=baysky;57423114]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Other types of mechanical noises are predictable. Airports are expanding like mad and they have no curfews.
MHT stops operations around midnight, doubt the small local airports even go that late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire