Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2006, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 25,665 times

Advertisements

Hey all, great little forum you have here. I am glad I stumbled across this site. Well, like most info seekers here I am looking to retire and move to Florida from Bklyn. I will be down in two weeks to look at homes in both Hillsbourough and Pasco. In Hillsbourough, I will be looking at homes in Westchase and Waterchase Communities. In Pasco I will be looking at homes in Wilderness Lake Preserve.

I am looking for quiet AND safe locations in both counties. I have spent the last 14 years working in the crappiest neighborhoods in Bklyn as a cop. I have dealt with all sorts of miscreants of this world and would like to avoid them when I take up my permanent retirement residence.

I know I have mentioned two locations, but if there are some other locations that you may know I would be more than happy to listen. As a single male, with an active social life I do prefer to hear about locations in the Tampa area. At least I will be able to get to Legends Field every spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 05:19 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,713 times
Well, the Tampa area can be crappy too. You have to just make sure you look in the right areas. Hudson is nice, Spring Hill has alot of New Yorkers,
Go Yankees!!!!!
If you don't want all the congestion though, you can also try Charlotte County which is about an 1 1/2 hours from Tampa, 2 hours of Orlando...
and near just about anything. The prices are good too!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:43 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,088 times
Done-

The areas you mentioned have both been mentioned on this forum before. They are both supposed to be nice. I suggest you read through old forum post, if you haven't already done so. There is a wealth of info on the Tampa area. This may answer some of your questions. If you still have some when you are finished, ask them at that time.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:56 AM

28 posts, read 205,886 times
Retired and moved to the Tampa area 2 years ago. The areas you mentioned are quite nice. However, be prepared to live next to yards full of Fisher Price playhouses, trampolines etc and watch everybody go to work every day and leave the place deserted except for young moms with kids. If that's what you want, great, but it can be awful boring.

Hard to meet people since when the residents aren't working they are busy with their kids, yard work etc. Frankly, we've "been there done that". There isn't anything wrong with that but retirement is a different phase of life.

We are moving to an over 55 community in the near future. Plenty of activities all day long and the age of the retirees keeps getting younger. The recently developed communities have the most recent retirees most of whom are less than 60.

Look at Glenn Lakes in Weeki Wachee. It's not age restricted but the majority of residents are retired. Has it's own golf course and recreation facilities. Great place. Easy access to Sun Coast Parkway which is a direct route to the Tampa airport and even Legends Field.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:08 AM

Hey I have no problem looking at young Moms with kids ;o)...Although, I am single I hope to settle down and have a family of my own someday. I would prefer to live in a younger community. My concern is that I dont live near any miscreants or predators of this world. Like I originally posted, I have dealt with them long enough and would like to avoid them like the plague once I am retired!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
you may want to check out palm harbor{Pinellas co.] I think its the hottest area on the gulf coast, especially for anyone[male or female] who likes the night life. I moved from bklyn years ago and I've been all over the tampa bay area....nothing beats Palm Harbor.
Tony

Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks Tony!! I will be sure to look into Palm Harbor!! Where in Bklyn??

Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 PM

96 posts, read 457,774 times
With home prices falling like rocks from the sky, I would look in Wesley Chapel, and New Tampa, with mostly yuppy type homes/condos. But with the taxes and insurance skyrocketting, homeowners there are looking elsewhere for a more affordable lifestyle and less commuting. You may find a bargain there.

The FDLE website has all kinds of info about the locations throughout most counties in Fl of the offenders you mention. Living near Tampa offers job opportunities with the state police, county sheriff and TPD, as well as Temple Terrace (another nice community nearby). Hope this is helpful.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:23 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Westchase is pretty expensive, but a very nice area. Very much the yuppie types with a stay at home soccer mom and the suburban assault vehicle (SUV) in the driveway next to the BMW. If you have kids there are some issues regarding school redistricting in that area, so be careful.

If you don't want to live so close to the city and want the amenities, you might also consider Fish Hawk, which is east of I-75 and a very nice area similar to Westchase.

If you want a slightly older, yet well established area, Bloomingdale East is another good choice in the area east of I-75. Good access to the city via the Crosstown freeway and easy access to major highways such as I-75 and I-4.

I would avoid New Tampa unless you work in the immediate area. I spend time in Wesley Chapel weekly, and the traffic around the New Tampa area is just awful during rush hours.

Now is a good time for buyers, as the market has gotten really soft. Builders and existing home sellers are cutting some nice deals because of market conditions.

RM

Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithBklyn View Post
Hey all, great little forum you have here. I am glad I stumbled across this site. Well, like most info seekers here I am looking to retire and move to Florida from Bklyn. I will be down in two weeks to look at homes in both Hillsbourough and Pasco. In Hillsbourough, I will be looking at homes in Westchase and Waterchase Communities. In Pasco I will be looking at homes in Wilderness Lake Preserve.

I am looking for quiet AND safe locations in both counties. I have spent the last 14 years working in the crappiest neighborhoods in Bklyn as a cop. I have dealt with all sorts of miscreants of this world and would like to avoid them when I take up my permanent retirement residence.

I know I have mentioned two locations, but if there are some other locations that you may know I would be more than happy to listen. As a single male, with an active social life I do prefer to hear about locations in the Tampa area. At least I will be able to get to Legends Field every spring.
check out in pasco seven oaks, and quail hollow, lexington oaks is o k also

judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida