Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,422 times

Advertisements

My dh has been offered a job in Salem NH. We are a family of 6(4 kids under 10). We are in Boulder CO now and will miss CO but I am glad to leave the dry, dry winters.

I have been researching the areas and still am not sure.
My top picks

Windham
Londonderry
Salem

I am thinking to rent for 1 year and get to know the areas and then buy a house. Which areas will you guys recommend? I want an excellent school district. My oldest has been in the TAG(Talented and Gifted programme) since 1st grade. Do NH schools have this kind of a pullout programme?

And then the cost, Ideally we would like to keep it under $375K for a 4 bedroom house with a huge yard.

TIA
Sharon

We fly there in 2 weeks to check out the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Yes Does gifted education legislation exist?
The New Hampshire Gifted and Talented Curriculum Frameworks Addendum
No Does the legislation mandate that gifted students be served?
Unknown Was there funding for gifted programs for the 2006 - 2007 school year?
No Is identification of gifted students required by state law?
No Does legislation provide for an education program matched to the student's abilities?
No Is there legislation that mandates specialized training in gifted education for teachers of gifted students?

Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
you should be able to find a home in that price range - don't know much about rentals

I think Londonderry might be your best bet.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Congrats to DH on getting a job offer in Salem. You are certainly moving here from a beautiful city... I've seen pictures of the Pearl Street (?) Mall, and it's a city I'd love to visit someday.

I live in Londonderry, and while I don't believe they have a pullout program in the schools at this time, I can tell you that they are one of the highest rated schools in the state. Here is a list of their elementary programs: Londonderry School District | Assistant Superintendent's Office | Special Curriculum | Elementary Programs (http://www.londonderry.org/specCurr/elementary.cfm - broken link)

This
(http://www.londonderry.org/assets/do...hs_profile.pdf) may also help with some of your questions.

Not sure if it's important to you, but Londonderry also has an excellent music program (Home - Londonderry NH Friends of Music - FOM - Home of the Londonderry High School Marching Lancers), and instruction in the strings program (viola, etc) begins in elementary school. Also, there is a public kindergarten (Moose Hill School | General Information (http://www.londonderry.org/moose/general.cfm - broken link)), garden (Moose Hill School | General Information (http://www.londonderry.org/moose/general.cfm - broken link))

I'll get and post some more info on schools, and get back to you, certainly before your trip. My daughter participated in the JET (Journeys in Expanded Thinking) program when we lived in the St. Louis, MO area from 2nd through 4th grade, then was selected for the Academic Bowl when we came back to New England. However, she was "over it" by middle school. My youngest is a different story, and is one who struggles to make passing grades. And the nice thing about Londonderry is that they are balanced in their educational programs--AP classes at one end of the spectrum, and various services for the other end.

It's a good idea to rent awhile, to get the general feeling of the area. Each town has its own "vibe" that is well-known to area residents, and it will be interesting to see what you think of Southern NH, especially coming from a place like Boulder with that great downtown... However 4-bedroom rentals are not easily available, and that search should begin quickly.

While not "urban" by any stretch of the imagination, Salem is much more congested with condominiums that resemble big boxes, lots (LOTS) of big-box stores along the main shopping strip, and a more diverse population in general. A high population means there are several elementary schools in town, some are more highly regarded than others. A roadmap of Salem's educational programs can be found here: 2006 Salem School District Curriculum Maps -Math (http://www.salemschooldistrictnh.com/curriculum/ - broken link) I personally know at least 1 Londonderry resident who has chosen to send their children to Salem High School because of the "block-style classes" (4 class periods per day vs 8 <including lunch> at Londonderry). This worked best for their children's particular learning style.

Windham is considered to be a somewhat more "exclusive" town. Of the three towns, Windham probably has the most number of million-dollar properties and very high-end neighborhoods. Windham high school students were bussed to Salem High School until this past year. Being a brand new school, I've heard that they're not quite up to snuff, but I'm sure as the years go by, more and better programs will be added, as the residents will accept nothing less...

Hope this is helpful

Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,422 times
Thanks Valerie C. I sent you a DM as well
Those sites were very helpful.

I'm surprised at how cheap lunch is, My girls pay $2.50 for their school lunches..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire