Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

Trees and other greenery absorb excess heat in the summer and will keep the house relatively cool. If the trees are deciduous they will lose their leaves in the fall and not block out the desirable winter sun. Leaves can make great garden compost if you buy a shredder (not too expensive unless you want one that is a chipper and shredder). If the trees are evergreen they will shield the house from the bitter cold, winter winds.

Just a few thoughts on trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,122 times
I had all pines removed from my little property because:
1- they tend to break and fall on expensive stuff during storms (like cars, fences, and houses).
2- they make a mess of the yard, almost impossible to grow anything under a pine.

Cost can vary depending on the number of trees and how much equipment is needed to remove them. Depends on the company and how "hungry" they are too. A crane was needed to remove mine at a cost of roughly $1000 per big pine.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Having a wooded lot gives you privacy. And if it's only 15 skinny trees, then think about cutting a few down, especially if the branches are touching the house. Skinny trees aren't expensive to remove.

Otherwise, as someone pointed out in another thread, no open areas means less lawn to have to mow and maintain.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairshiba View Post
After a lot of struggle and waiting, we finally found a home in the area that we wanted. The home looks nice and beautiful, though it needs some minor repairs and maintenance. But now the problem is the home is in a wooded lot... There are around 15 skinny trees on both the sides in the front yard and there is one big tree on the backyard. My agent asked if we liked the home and we said yes. She said if it was her, she would'nt buy the home as she hates a wooded lot.
What a totally bizarre thing for your agent to say. Who CARES that she wouldn't buy the house? (I am wondering if the commission on this house is lower than on another that she would prefer you buy ... otherwise I just can't figure out why she'd make such an odd statement.)

I bought my current house just over a year ago BECAUSE it was on 1.29 acres with lots of trees all around the perimeter (and some INSIDE the perimeter). At some point I will likely have some of the "inner" trees cut down, especially if I decide to get solar panels, but one of the most important reasons I bought the house was all those perimeter trees. It feels very, very, very private and peaceful.

And yes, you can have trees cut down. Prices vary tremendously. I had one GIGANTIC oak tree cut down at my last house and it cost $1,400 for that one tree. I was horrified at the cost but I put money aside for a year or so so I didn't "feel" it as much. My neighbor was also able to take the wood for firewood, and he "paid" me back by doing lawn work etc.

I know of other people who had SEVERAL trees removed for $1,000. It depends on the tree of course.

RE: the basement: lots of people use basements only for storage etc. Previous owners finished part of mine, but "finish" seems like a misnomer to me as the ceilings are only about 6-3/4' high. I use it as a storage area/workshop.

Did you put the offer in yesterday? (although I'm not sure why you would "have to" put in an offer on a certain day ... did your agent tell you that too? )

Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Seems like the agent is taking a lot of flack here, and I have to say that I'm not reading that the agent said not to buy--she said SHE wouldn't buy the home, as she hates a wooded lot. Sometimes when clients/customers ask MY opinion, it's important say out loud that MY opinion may not mesh with THEIR opinion--they may LIKE and PREFER a wooded lot. Should the agent have lied and said she loved it? Sounds like she was speaking candidly on HER opinion...

Speaking for myself, I don't like trees near the house because they can damage septic drain fields and water systems, even public water lines coming into the house. Those big willows that we sometimes see, those roots are always seeking a water source, and can sense water even when it is enclosed in pipes...

15 skinny trees really isn't considered a 'wooded lot' in this area. Not even in Nashua, unless you are in a neighborhood that has been clear-cut (like many new subdivisions are). Skinny trees are probably pines, which will kill any lawn beneath, and have a high chance of toppling over (their root systems spread OUT, instead of DOWN, making them very unstable in high winds, saturated ground and/or ice/wet snow covered branches. If the trees are close enough to put your house at risk, it could be a problem getting a home-owner's insurance policy (having an insurance binder is required by your lender). If they are NOT pines, but have any overhanging boughs that could drop onto your roof, that will also be a problem for homeowners insurance.

We took down 25 huge pine trees about 5 years after buying our house-just got tired of having the entire yard look like a forest, and the pine sap got all over everything--cars, picnic table, grill, our clothes, hair and shoes, in the dog's fur and in between their toes... you get the idea. It didn't cost a dime--the tree company was happy to come in and fell them for free-they took the timber and left us the branches to clean up. Now we have raised bed veggie gardens, blueberry bushes, and lawn The trees didn't give any privacy, as they were 100 foot pines with no lower branches.

You can certainly finish a basement, but take care not to over-improve the home for 1) the neighborhood and 2) the house itself. Though it may make your house more attractive to the next buyer, it will not add to the appraised value.

Although my clients usually ask my opinion, it's been my experience that when it's the right house, the client knows it almost immediately. Sometimes we look at 10 houses, other times 100 (seriously). When it's the right one, the doubt won't be there--you'll just be counting down the days till it's yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairshiba View Post
Hi All

After a lot of struggle and waiting, we finally found a home in the area that we wanted. The home looks nice and beautiful, though it needs some minor repairs and maintenance. But now the problem is the home is in a wooded lot... There are around 15 skinny trees on both the sides in the front yard and there is one big tree on the backyard. My agent asked if we liked the home and we said yes. She said if it was her, she would'nt buy the home as she hates a wooded lot. We will have to give an offer today but we are bit skeptical about it... What if we are plannin to sell it off after a few years and somebody just like my agent comes to buy it and backs off because she doesnt like the wooded lot... I am thinking about that... Is it ok to buy a home like that?? Also my agent says that if its a wooded lot, the dampness would be more... What does that mean?? Does that mean the house cant be maintained in a good condition?? Is there a chance that the house can be affected by termites and bugs?? Also the home has an unfinished basement... Even if we finish the basement, nothing can be done there because the basement is in an L shape and there are motors and pipes in it... We cant make it a family room.. Will people be ok in buying a home with an unfinished basement that has no much space also. Can we cut the trees in the yard if we dont want them?? How much does it cost?? Please help...

Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Although my clients usually ask my opinion, it's been my experience that when it's the right house, the client knows it almost immediately. Sometimes we look at 10 houses, other times 100 (seriously). When it's the right one, the doubt won't be there--you'll just be counting down the days till it's yours!
^^^ This!!! I looked at many houses before finding my Newton house. I think that if the OP is not totally in love with the house, she shouldn't buy it. And btw if she truly loved it, she wouldn't be bothered by negative comments about it.

Actually, my bf and I have been house shopping in NH since spring, and we've finally found out perfect home. Will post about it once it's finalized. Don't want to jinx anything. But as soon as we starting walking around the property, we knew that we'd found our forever home. The property taxes are a little scary, but I think we'll be okay as the place has a lot of potential for extra income also (farming, bed & breakfast, and automotive businesses).

Old 07-27-2013, 11:31 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
You'd be excluding a lot of great houses if you avoid wooded lots; New Hampshire is over 80% forest.

I probably take down 15 trees a year, for aesthetics and firewood, but since I've got about a thousand mature trees on my lot, I don't see running out anytime soon. Aside from the ones which will eventually interfere with utilities or are close enough to actually hit the house in a windstorm, I wouldn't worry about them, unless you don't like having flying squirrels swooping out of the treeline and invading your soffits (true story).

I did see a few houses with extremely mossy, damp exteriors, but these weren't just in a heavily wooded lot, they were also at the bottom of a "bowl" and naturally wet. If you have good afternoon sunlight and drainage, a few extra trees aren't going to cause damp problems.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
I had all pines removed from my little property because:
1- they tend to break and fall on expensive stuff during storms (like cars, fences, and houses).
2- they make a mess of the yard, almost impossible to grow anything under a pine.

Cost can vary depending on the number of trees and how much equipment is needed to remove them. Depends on the company and how "hungry" they are too. A crane was needed to remove mine at a cost of roughly $1000 per big pine.
1) Pines are a softwood tree and that is why if pruned often they won't have as many branches come down during storms. Pine trees and hemlocks also provide good privacy on a lot so that you can't see into a neighbors lot as easily, providing greenery all year long. Most people prefer that. I would not have large pine trees right on top of the house, that is why I tend to have deciduous trees as well as spruce and fir with less extensive root systems and branch coverage.

2) I would NEVER consider a property that did not have coniferous trees of some type on the lot.

3) If I want to grow things I will have a dedicated vegetable garden or orchard area as lawns are a waste of time, money, and energy as they produce nothing of edible value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire