Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 PM

76 posts, read 193,363 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a parcel of land, and i'm not sure how this current use assessment stuff works.
I've found the FAQ page, but i'm still not sure how it all works.
http://www.nhspace.org/downloads/2006_cu_handbook.pdf
SPACE: New Hampshire's Current Use Coalition

I'm looking at plots above 10 acres that currently have no dwellings on it. I will eventually build a basic 1 room w/bunks style hunting cabin on the grounds, off grid (solar, wood heat, no grid electric)

If the land is 'in current use' what does that mean?

How significant is the discount? Some of the taxes i'm looking at on large 25+ acre parcels are only a few hundred dollars a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Your link has the 2006 booklet. Here's the 2011 booklet:

http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/...11-booklet.pdf

I don't know all of the details yet... I know you have to have at least 10 acres in current use, open to the public without a fee and you can't have any buildings of any kind on it (not even an outhouse was my impression). I'm wondering if we would be allowed to park an RV on it just during deer season, but haven't found out yet. There's different kinds of current use and not all of them require that you allow hunting.

I'm not sure about the discount. I've seen 20% mentioned, but it doesn't seem like 20% would inspire people to put over 1/2 the land in the state into current use.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Here's a thread where Val C. explained how the discount works:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...rrent-use.html

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
you pretty much can't have any 'improvements' at all - or that will take it out of current use. We have 10 acres in current use in New Ipswich. The tax rate is $17.99/1000 and we paid under $40 for the year I think. not much. But if we so much as put in a shed, driveway or septic system before we even build the house... we pay 10% penalty for taking it out of current use and then full taxes from then on.

We were hoping that if we bought the 45 acres adjoining and combined them, then take out 1.5 for our house lot it would save money in the long run. but unfortunately running the numbers it didn't work. :/

Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 AM

And here's some more details:

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/f...76_Rep1099.pdf

The different kinds of current use are explained there and some examples of assessment values with and without current use.

As Wanna said, your driveway, septic, etc. can't be on the current use portion of the land. The part that's tricky is that it stays in current use forever, no matter who owns it, unless the land use is changed. Then only that portion of the land is removed from current use, so long as there's still at least 10 acres unchanged.

Wanna - is your land a forestry plan or open to the public use?

Last edited by Be Free; 12-22-2011 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Just because

Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Wanna - is your land a forestry plan or open to the public use?
well... we're not there to see who is walking around, and it's not posted. it's not maintained in any way - unless DH goes walking and moves branches/trees off the path but it's not terribly desirable for much. there's a narrow, paved class VI road that goes up about as far as where we'll put in our driveway, and then it turns into a goat path that you need a snow mobile or a beater truck to drive (we once went almost to the end of our property and i was petrified that we'd blow a tire or rip off something underneath! and then trying to turn around ). The land adjacent gets used for the guy's firewood, and across the goat path someone has a camp deep in the woods. The road technically goes all the way across the hill (Barrett Hill) and there's a tower up there with an access road - I think from the Greenville side.

I've heard that at least long ago there was decent hunting on the hill. if you go exploring, just be careful since Mascenic high and the new elementary school are at the bottom on the west side of the hill.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:45 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Better check local building codes. Some jurisdictions now require all structures meet all building codes. For some, no such thing as a hunting cabin anymore.

Although, I read someplace that NH still allows out houses. Go figure.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 PM

76 posts, read 193,363 times
From what i've been able to gather, the town i'm looking in shows

Quote:
203.6c
Any dwelling that is occupied less than 9 months from March 1st to November 30th in any calendar year without all of the following shall be deemed a seasonal use dwelling and any dwelling occupied 3 consecutive months December 1st through February 28th shall be deemed year round use and shall meet all the following; Indoor Plumbing with a NHDES approved septic system, Portable year-round water supply, Kitchen with stove, sink and refrigerator, adequate heating system, adequate wall and ceiling insulation, frost-proof foundation.
I won't be living there and won't have full appliances (maybe a gas/coleman style stove and a few 12v solar lights/etc) so I think i can get away with a 'cabin' of some sort.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
No, buildings or structures of any kind are not allowed on current use land. Neither is the groomed area around the structure (yard), driveways, septic systems or sewer lines, wells or above or underground utility lines that are for the landowner’s own use.
SPACE: New Hampshire's Current Use Coalition

Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
From what i've been able to gather, the town i'm looking in shows

I won't be living there and won't have full appliances (maybe a gas/coleman style stove and a few 12v solar lights/etc) so I think i can get away with a 'cabin' of some sort.
you know, the people who work at town hall are usually just general people from town, and often nice. You could simply call your tax assessor and ask them if it would affect the status to put up what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire