Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times

Advertisements

All we have here in Texas is central heat / AC. I see you guys talking about the price of heating oil, etc. Is there no central heating in NH or what?

I'd imagine heating is more important than cooling, so how exactly do you do it?

Also, what's an average winter bill on 2000 SF or so? I know my summer AC bill in TX is anywhere from $400 to $700, depending on how hot it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:57 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
All we have here in Texas is central heat / AC. I see you guys talking about the price of heating oil, etc. Is there no central heating in NH or what?

I'd imagine heating is more important than cooling, so how exactly do you do it?

Also, what's an average winter bill on 2000 SF or so? I know my summer AC bill in TX is anywhere from $400 to $700, depending on how hot it is.
Most have a furnace with force hot air or water coming from baseboards or even old-fashioned radiators and venting. There are some with central heat/air, but it isn't the "norm". Oil and natural gas (and some propane/kerosene) and wood stoves, pellet stoves etc are normal - electric is common just not in a central heating unit.

How you do it? If you have electric - you turn on / off your thermostat and then the furnace kicks on. If you have oil, you turn on/off the thermostat and it kicks on (if there is oil and such to make it light ) (Yes I'm being humorous but it is truthful).

I don't think you'd see 700/month in heat if you have a good insulation and don't need your heat on 80 all month. I don't own a house so the others will have to give you a more accurate figure - but I believe with the heat on 68 or so you are looking at a $2000 or so WINTER long bill - and remember winter (heat season) starts in November - though at night sometimes Sept/Oct - and lasts through March (April and May being like Sept/Oct). So about 2000 for 5 months is what I'm saying - but I may be way off.

This also depends on what area of the state you live and temps of course.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 PM

So you actually have to add oil to it? Do you have to go buy it or do they bring it to you? Do you keep a reserve at the house?

Of all the things different I am expecting when I am finally able to move, for some odd reason that strikes me as the most different. I've never had anything other than a flick of a switch to make it hotter or colder.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,668 times
If you want to save money on energy, think about constructing an energy-efficient house. Look into earth-sheltered homes. With the right design and proper materials, you could virtually eliminate heating bills.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:01 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
oil is delivered - some people do it as an on call basis, others do it on a regular schedule

a lot of residents are trying alternative methods to heat their homes because oil is very, very expensive

I just got a delivery last week at $3.49 a gallon, down from $4.79 a few weeks ago

oil companies have a minimum delivery of 100 gallons - most people have a 250 gallon tank in the basement or outside.

my home cost $1,500 in oil to heat for the year last year, but an elderly friend that lives in an antique colonial paid $5,000. (she definitely needs more insulation or SOMETHING)

Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the explanations.

It's the little stuff like that which I am looking forward to, for some odd reason. It's just so different than what I am used to. I think in the long run it will be cheaper to heat / cool a house up there. I mean, it's almost 80 here right now, so my electric bill will probably be about $250 - $300 for the next couple months.

As for building a house, no thanks. I actually want an older house. I grew up in one and I miss a house with a personality. I will definitely up the insulation and such in whatever I buy.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
generally electric bills average $100 per month without air conditioning, or a pool running

those two items will jack up the bill another $40 a month

Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Thanks for the explanations.

It's the little stuff like that which I am looking forward to, for some odd reason. It's just so different than what I am used to. I think in the long run it will be cheaper to heat / cool a house up there. I mean, it's almost 80 here right now, so my electric bill will probably be about $250 - $300 for the next couple months.

As for building a house, no thanks. I actually want an older house. I grew up in one and I miss a house with a personality. I will definitely up the insulation and such in whatever I buy.
Annual energy costs for me -oil and electricity - are more than the gas/electric we had in Southern California. Not much more, but more all the same. Then again, our home is almost twice as large. However, lower costs in other areas make up for that. For instance, our homeowners insurances is about a quarter and auto insurance is about half that of SoCal.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:44 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,208 times
of course, as long as you have oil in the tank, you just flip the switch on your thermostat just like with central air...you set the temp you want the house to be and the heat automaticlly comes on/off to maintain that temp. Or, you do it manually (though I can't see where I'd do it that way.)

Jackie

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
of course, as long as you have oil in the tank, you just flip the switch on your thermostat just like with central air...you set the temp you want the house to be and the heat automaticlly comes on/off to maintain that temp. Or, you do it manually (though I can't see where I'd do it that way.)

Jackie
Amen to the programmable thermostats. They're a lifesaver--not to mention much easier on the wallet. Fortunately with a newer home and better insulation, I'm able to keep the oil consumption down to under 500 gallons or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire