Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,556 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have JUST started researching states in New England for a possible future move, and just read through a bunch of threads about New Hampshire. Just read the whole "Message to those who wish to move to our state" thread.

So, I get that it's the "Live Free or Die!!!" state, but I'm not getting this---what is the freedom that exists in NH that isn't in other states? From what I understand, you are allowed to carry guns wherever you want and everybody has guns, and you don't have to wear seatbelts or helmets. Is that it? What's the big deal about that stuff? THAT'S the "freedom" people will "die for" in NH?
No sales tax, right? But don't you still pay high property taxes? So you still get screwed like the rest of us, but in a different way, no?

There seems to be some overly aggressive posts on NH on here and I'm just wondering what all the hoopla is about. Yes, your state is GORGEOUS. I definitely see the allure there. But pray tell, what is this freedom you have that the rest of us don't??

Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,554,823 times
Uh yeah that is the freedom we will not only die for but fight for. That is the limited government we want and that the quaint New England states around us don't have.

Sales tax vs property tax? Give me the property taxes any day, a sales tax screws EVERYBODY. A good example of how much that distinction means is the border crosses from Mass and VT that come to our state everyday, not to buy just cheap liquor and cigarettes but just about everything, AND they both have the property tax on top of it!..

You mentioned seal belts and helmet laws. Are you really aware of what goes into keeping those freedoms, it is almost a yearly battle, which WE THE PEOPLE WIN, but have to fight for there is always a lying sniveling safety Nazi running around with false information and scare stories of things that are just not true so they can get their little bill passed in order to collect their kick back.

Unfortunately there will always be those that will try to block freedom, even as they pass laws to give false freedom for special interest groups. Our current governor is good for that, vetoing laws that provide real freedom based on the constitution on one hand, bowing before out of state special interest groups and signing into law, things that are not a right even afer he said he would not..typical of politicians yes I knew, but some fools decided to vote the idiot back in, ( No I really don't think Lynch is an idiot, I actually like the way he has handled some things.. but like a leopard does not change his spots, neither does a liberal democrat )

Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM

6,597 posts, read 6,782,058 times
You left out that NH does not have an income tax, no estate taxes & no capital gains tax & no bottle bill & I could go on.....

We pay our state reps & state senators $100 a year.....that's it. They are local citizens just like the rest of us. I don't know where you come from, but it's not anyway near as good as NH otherewise YOU would not be looking here, riight ?

Also those so-called "aggressive" posts are just the writings of people who are proud of where they live.....you might just not be used to that kind of confidence & pride. Good luck with your search If we are not a fit for you there's always Vermont & Mass, lol And just think: in Massachusetts they force you to have health insurance or you get fined $2000.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 05-11-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,556 times
Well, the $100/year thing is pretty great. I get that.

I can appreciate people's passion and commitment to fighting for freedom in their lives. I respect that. But seat belt laws and helmet laws are that big of a deal, seriously? So nobody wears seat belts in NH?? Or they do, but just don't want to be TOLD that they have to?

I don't really see the aggressive posts as pride and confidence; people come off as really angry to me. What's all the anger for? If you're so free and NH is the greatest state, why so angry?

It's interesting to me, as I read through all New England states' forums, that only NH takes digs at other New England states. In other states' forums I see respectful, kind responses, not this "if you don't like it, go to MA--ha!!" stuff I see a lot on the NH forum.

I think it's awesome to have pride in where you live. But why the negativity along with that pride?? I thought NH is "live and let live"??? Why the digs against other views and other states??

Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM

6,597 posts, read 6,782,058 times
I think you see what you want to see in the NH postings.....it's just your opinion, not fact. If we are not a fit for you.....whatever. It's not just about helmet laws or seat-belt laws.....it's about government taking more & more of everything. I pointed out Mass forces you to get health insurance or fines you. You want to live like that, fine. We don't.

You seem more concerned with how the posters express themselves in the NH forum than you seem interested in living here. Just my opinion

We may be a bit rough around the edges on the NH forum, but you know what......enjoy the "diversity". Thank god we are not like the rest of the New England states. I would spend some more in-depth time explaning to you the philosophy & history of how NH is different from most other states if I thought that's what you were really interested in. I suspect otherwise, but who knows....I've been know to be wrong before

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 05-11-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,554,823 times
Possibly because we don't want NH becoming one of those "other" states, and we want to keep out the view that turned those "other" states into what they are today. take our good neighbors to the south for example.

Now I know enough Massachusetts residents to know most are just regular folk, heck most of them hate their states progressive liberalism, social programs and Draconian anti freedom laws as much as we do ..but, there are just enough that not only do not hat these thoughts, but embrace them, these of course would be the decidedly more rich and powerful, who do not mind excessive taxes because they have both the money and the legal aid to either find ways around them or find ways to make up for them. In their minds keeping the average Joe ( or Jolene as the case may be) on a short leash makes sense.

In their minds an over taxed citizen is a citizen that has too much on their hands with working to pay for everything they are not much of a political or social threat. But, of course they were wrong in their ideology, and the results have come home to roost as it were, so they start looking here, looking to do it all over again, until they destroy this state, just as they did theirs.

Sorry, no thank you. You think we are bitter? Angry? Nope..hardened perhaps, some of us seem stern and frankly judgmental..I can't speak for anyone else but guess what..I am..judgment and discernment are two things that are sorely lacking in the modern populace. We seem to have a bit of it still around here in NH. We are not a red or a blue or even a pink state, we are New Hampshireites. Know why most folks don't want a fake Old Man in the Mountain replacing the real one, because the real one was one of our own.. and a fraud is just that.

Our constitution ( the first in the nation by the way) has a separation clause. Our independence is slipping, I cannot deny that, perhaps one day, those who would like to ride roughshod over NH will do just that..but as I look around at the members of this board, I think to myself, well maybe not while there are people like them alive.

From the Meduim loving woman in Bow, to the gays on the seacoast..The biker at Weirs Beach, the fisherman out on Butterfield pond, they are New Hampshirites, every opinionated judgmenat one of them!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 PM

181 posts, read 306,471 times
I am liking the NH attitude. Can't wait to move.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,721,602 times
I think it is just a few posters that are very frequent that give that message. I feel what you are saying

Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,710,294 times
I will have to re-visit this thread later.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,061,261 times
Quote:
I can appreciate people's passion and commitment to fighting for freedom in their lives. I respect that. But seat belt laws and helmet laws are that big of a deal, seriously? So nobody wears seat belts in NH?? Or they do, but just don't want to be TOLD that they have to?
you're not seeing the forest for the trees, as it were. Yeah, the seatbelt, helmet & gun laws are important, but they are just an aspect of the NH spirit. When you cross into the state borders and see the obligitory seat belt sign, where others states tell you that you must wear seatbelts beause it's the law.. NH signs say 'seat belts require for under 14- common sense for all' (ok, maybe I have the age wrong, but you get the idea). It's that tag line there that really shows what NH is about: it's the not needing or wanting all the nanny laws the other states have, because we prefer to use common sense. Sure, most of us have sense enough to wear seatbelts - and (dare I add) helmets. but some choose not to. It's not that they don't understand the ramifications, it's not that they are rebelling against The Man, they have their reasons and have made a personal and deliberate choice not to. That's their right and that's what we will fight for. The right to make our own decisions (and accept whatever consequences if any).

We don't need our lives micromanaged by laws that are only enforced when someone feels like it (most states don't allow texting or handheld cell phones while driving these days: how many drivers have you seen still doing it? how many of them are getting pulled over?). We were taught how to behave when we were little, we just want to get on with our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire