Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,812,910 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of "cheap" mobile homes available for sale. Are these trailer parks as bad in NH as they are down here in FL? Just wondering if this could be an option for us. ($20,000 cash, then $1,800 property taxes and $400/month co-op/ lot fees for example) One of these has a woodstove, so that certainly would be cheap heating for the winter.

What about the age 18-45 demographic? (for our business idea) Are males of this age most likely to be found in Concord and south, even towards the MA border? (that's my theory) My husband wants to start a business that caters to this age group/ demographic almost excusively, so we have to be near that kind of population center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM

124 posts, read 313,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I see a lot of "cheap" mobile homes available for sale. Are these trailer parks as bad in NH as they are down here in FL? Just wondering if this could be an option for us. ($20,000 cash, then $1,800 property taxes and $400/month co-op/ lot fees for example) One of these has a woodstove, so that certainly would be cheap heating for the winter.
I think you would freeze your ass off.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,036,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gully Foyle View Post
I think you would freeze your ass off.
Why is that? Once and only once i rented a 12x40 trailer. It was old and I called it the trailer from Hell, but the location was excellent. Heating with wood was the only option and I kept that place toasty . It had the cheap louvered windows and they went to thick ice inside in winter but the patterns were very pretty , like ice flowers and leaves.
I left there after 3.5 years over a rude argument with the LL. Since then he removed that old trailer and put a new one at the same location and he lives there now, right on my favorite spot in the world to be.

If I could live on that spot for the rest of my days somehow i sure would.

You could litterally step out the door 3 paces and shoot a 30- 06 drunk and blind folded and not worry about what you would hit. That's my kinda place. So far out no one else even hears the shot.

I don't know a thing about trailer parks.

Males of all ages are found all over the state. If the business is out door related the northern half is what you want. if the buis is indoor related then maybe the southern part is best.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 PM

26 posts, read 119,324 times
I can only give you my experience....

February of 2010 we decided to move to FL for 2 reasons 1. Teaching jobs. While counties in FL were having job fairs there were very few positions available in NH 2. Trying to have a baby was NOT working out so we wanted to do something different and fun. We stopped trying and just wanted to enjoy FL.

We sold our house in NH and moved to FL in June of 2010.

I literally applied to over 40 teaching jobs within 45 minutes of our house here. I got a lot of interviews, but the first school I interviewed with offered to hire me on the spot so I took it.

Two months later I was pregnant...oops! Our whole family lives in NH and MA so it is hard being here. I just signed our son up for daycare for the fall and they needed two emergency contacts. Well we don't have ANYONE in the state so we had to list my parents in NH.

Now we're thinking of moving back. I've been looking for jobs in NH (mostly browsing because I just got a new job at a good school 10 minutes from our house). There have been a total of 3 jobs available within 45 minutes of where we would live in NH...3! I had 6 interviews alone at the Osceola County Job Fair this year alone and then got calls for several of them. All 4 counties near us (Lake, Osceola, Orange and Polk) are still hiring for this school year. Plus, oddly enough, if I moved to NH I would be taking a $3,400 pay cut if I worked in my preferential district. It is not until step 12 that this district catches up to Osceola County pay.

We moved here with no jobs because honestly, with the class size amendment, I have found that teaching jobs are plentiful in our area. Just with a quick search there are 22 middle school math openings currently in the 4 counties near me. That is with only 3 weeks left until teachers go back. (where did the summer go?)

Now I know that different subjects and grade levels have different openings, but they are hiring for most things here, while there isn't much in NH.

All that said, if I had a job I'd move back in a second. I LOVE it here, but I really want my son to grow up seeing his grandparents and aunt and uncle on a daily basis.

OP, you asked about car insurance. Ours before we moved was $68/month for a Corolla and a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. This included the best coverage we could get, $100 deductible, top amount for everything else. We pay $174/month here and we now have a $500 deductible and had to take lower limits on everything else. So NH was definitely cheaper.
My sister's homeowner's insurance is $500/year in NH while ours is almost $1200, but here property taxes are more than double ours.

Truth be told FL has not been that much cheaper than NH. We find that some things are cheaper here, while others are more expensive and in the end it comes out about the same.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,812,910 times
Thanks for your story, Molly! I'm in Lake County, and yes, they are still hiring, but they are also still shifting around "tenured" teachers into the best jobs. Believe me, some of the schools around here are pretty rough. Last year, my husband delt with 5th graders who said/did things I cannot begin to write on this family forum. Most of the jobs now are in rough schools or "failing schools". The teaching environment here can only be described as a "pressure cooker" and it will be a LOT worse this year. My former co-workers are some of the best teachers I know and they are all ready to quit. The pay in Lake is the lowest in the Central FL area.

We just listed the house for sale and are taking another trip to NH next week. I just want a smaller town feeling, less crime, and more stability for my children. You can bet that the school budgets will get whacked here again next June. Lake already has a $6M deficit from the end of the EduJobs stimulus money in June 2012. Since new teachers are on annual contract forever now, you will be the first to get laid off every year. I can't live like that and I won't sell myself short.

I'm curious as to where in NH you lived before? Was it more of the southern area, where everyone wants to work (Hollis, etc?) We are flexible and will take any teaching job, no matter where.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM

26 posts, read 119,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Thanks for your story, Molly! I'm in Lake County, and yes, they are still hiring, but they are also still shifting around "tenured" teachers into the best jobs. Believe me, some of the schools around here are pretty rough. Last year, my husband delt with 5th graders who said/did things I cannot begin to write on this family forum. Most of the jobs now are in rough schools or "failing schools". The teaching environment here can only be described as a "pressure cooker" and it will be a LOT worse this year. My former co-workers are some of the best teachers I know and they are all ready to quit. The pay in Lake is the lowest in the Central FL area.

We just listed the house for sale and are taking another trip to NH next week. I just want a smaller town feeling, less crime, and more stability for my children. You can bet that the school budgets will get whacked here again next June. Lake already has a $6M deficit from the end of the EduJobs stimulus money in June 2012. Since new teachers are on annual contract forever now, you will be the first to get laid off every year. I can't live like that and I won't sell myself short.

I'm curious as to where in NH you lived before? Was it more of the southern area, where everyone wants to work (Hollis, etc?) We are flexible and will take any teaching job, no matter where.
I don't know where in Lake County you are but Westside K-8 in Osceola has openings for 1st, 3rd and 5th and they're an A school. It's in the Four Corners area.

We lived in Belmont in NH and if we move it will be to Laconia. I grew up in Laconia and my parents and sister live there. We really enjoy the Lakes Region.

Downtown Laconia is shrinking, but as a kid it was nice to ride down there on our bikes Saturday mornings for breakfast.

I really enjoy living in FL and if we didn't have our son there would be no question but I'd like him to grow up with his family nearby.

NH really is great. I won't say that schools are that much better in NH than in FL, but it is a different dynamic. Here is why. In NH, the Lakes Region anyway, you go to public school or you pay to go to private school. There are no charter or magnet schools. So there are more well behaved kids who try hard than there are in FL public schools because they don't have any other option other than paying thousands to go to private school.

ETA: We're headed up there this week for two weeks. I hope their heat wave has ended! It was hotter there than it was here!

Last edited by MollyBailey; 07-24-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 8,896 times
Concord NH-Anyone know of a good plumber that works on a steam radiator heat system? I have a new very old house and the radiators need some work-nothing major, they are in working condition.
Having trouble finding someone who works with steam...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,166,647 times
I only know one person who lives in a trailer park and she can't wait to move. She purchased a brand new mobile home in 2009. It was over $50K. Her park rent is $365. per month. She heats with gas and got soaked her first year at $600 per month for a bill. She switched companies and got it down a little bit, not much.

Her park does not allow wood stoves. Her park does not allow a lot of renovations.

The park management are currently suing another home owner because his trailer is 'obsolete' (built in the '70's) and he refuses to purchase one that is brand new. So bizarre to me..... One would think that a man's home is his castle and once he owns it, he should be allowed to do repairs. He is in the process of replacing the roof with a pitched one and the park objects. He has had to hire an attorney to represent him in the multiple lawsuits filed against him.

I would never purchase a mobile home. They lose their value immediately, just like a new car that has been driven off the lot.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM

885 posts, read 2,668,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
I don't think this is worse but better. In the South people have to drive everywhere and everyone has two cars per family it seems. $50 a week for gas would be a dream. More like $75-100 a wk down here (obviously depending on how far you have to commute). At least you have some options of public transit which is non-existent here.
I visited my folks in England a couple of weeks back. To fill up the rental car with ONE TANK of diesel cost me $160 (95 quid)

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
Default Did you move

Hi,
Im just curious what happened? Did you move to NH? I am in almost the exact situation asking myself these questions you have asked.
Thank you,
Moving in a month to NH wiht no jobs!!! 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire