Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,670,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
About $230 for electric for our house (except during A/C season),
My 2500 sf house uses $115 on the Budget plan and that's with central air and a well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 PM

491 posts, read 1,373,826 times
Correction: my water bill came last night for $100 (I previously posted $61). Most of my summer water consumption is from lawn sprinklers and topping-off the pool.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
We would definately like a wood stove and use that to keep the bills down
Then you will need a truck or some other way to get the wood, split it and store it. Simply getting the stove and buying cords of wood save nothing. Nor is dried cordwood cheap.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 PM

42 posts, read 89,616 times
This post looks like it was from 2008...but if you need info on nursing schools in Florida....I just finished the LPN and RN program down here in Florida. Good luck on your RN journey!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM

235 posts, read 837,920 times
Winter in NH has a lot of expenses that don't exist in the sunbelt:
- heating oil isn't cheap; firewood needs to be dried for months after being corded in order to season it for use; stove pipes and chimneys need to be cleaned once a year (creosote logs won't do the job by themselves)
- winter clothes, boots, coats
- snow blower to clear the driveway and sidewalk; shovels, salt
- snow tires for the vehicles
- if you're in a rural area, you can be snowed in during storms -- highways close during bad storms, and when they're open they will be icy and have drifting and blowing snow
- if you don't live within a sizeable town, you can be a long, treacherous drive from amenities like the grocery store, the pharmacy, hardware store, hospital, etc.

Not to be discouraging, but, it's worth noting that many people have migrated south to the sunbelt to escape these expenses!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,254,314 times
N.H .has a whole lotta things that don't exist in the sunbelt.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,878,581 times
Think it over and make a good plan.....I'm a native to the lakes region and have been in business all of my life.There is not much industry in this area,only service jobs since it is a vacation area.Everybody wants to live here because of the wonderful life style but earning a living is a big concern.Jobs in the $10-$15 range go quickly.
There is not a more beautiful place to live in this country but you have to have enough income.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 AM

623 posts, read 968,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Think it over and make a good plan.....I'm a native to the lakes region and have been in business all of my life.There is not much industry in this area,only service jobs since it is a vacation area.Everybody wants to live here because of the wonderful life style but earning a living is a big concern.Jobs in the $10-$15 range go quickly.
There is not a more beautiful place to live in this country but you have to have enough income.
If your making $15 a hour in the lakes region it would be like hitting the lottery. Where are the $15 jobs????? nowhere

Last edited by boston904; 07-15-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,805,553 times
We had a great situation in GA because our house backed up to the Army Corps property and you could harvest fallen trees as needed. Buying wood negates the savings.

My husband is very interested in the Lakes Region and I tried to tell him that everyone says there are no jobs there. He thinks he could get a job for $10/hr making pizzas and get 70 hours a week. I told him the place probably shuts down in the winter.

Right now, we are trying to get jobs here and just hunker down until we can plan our next move. Going up there in time for winter is not the best idea. Plus we have to sell this house. (will probably list in February and see how that goes).

I might try to come up in December to experience winter.

I'm just happy to think that we will get out of this cesspool at some point and I will undo my epic mistake to move us back here! Now let's just hope that things don't fall apart (currency crisis, civil unrest, etc) before we can get out of here. 100 degree heat index at 7PM last night. Opening the front door feels like a blast furnace. Humidity is unreal here (60%+ right now in the middle of the afternoon)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
told him the place probably shuts down in the winter.
And you would be correct. Many places also close down on the seacoast after the summer months.

Quote:
I might try to come up in December to experience winter.
December is still mild. Mid January or February is the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire