Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 31,635 times

Advertisements

I'm in So. Cali n have been looking to relocate to Ely...can someone tell me what the cost of living is there n if theres any work out there (or surrounding area) any help would be appreciated..Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,446,655 times
Not much work, no industry aside from the Prison. Many Many hours from the nearest store of any size.

A great place to be if you are an outdoors person, not much for townies there.

there is no "surrounding area" other than Magoo,, MaGill,, not much happens there, there is a bar..

Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM

r u saying that theres not even a grocery store there?...i havw the Ely web site n have emailed someone from the site and am waiting for a reply...in the mean time i thought i'd post here an get some input from NV ppl..all i want is a nice place to live, i've been here inSo.Cali nearly 40 yrs n its time i left, my son and i r both total hermits, all we want is a quiet place to live n work..

Old 02-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Sure there is a grocery store, but there is no Walmart, or Costco,, no chain stores Ely is one of the most isolated towns in America. Now, if you want to be a hermit you will need land, check carefully, you will want water. Remember too, the prison has changed the characteristics of the town. The familys of the inmates are moving in bringing a change,, crime for instance.

Jobs other than service work or the prison are in short supply.

Again, if you are a hunter/fisherman/jeeper, redneck tobacco chewer or Mormon, it is a great town. I have known a lot of Elyites, they left for jobs. One old guy I know, his grandaddy was a polygamist.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM

WoW!! their web site doesn't say anything like that!..me thinks i need to rethink this LOL, ty

Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 PM

I think Ely is a great place. But, like most of Nevada, you take it on its own terms.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 16,811 times
I lived in SoCal for 28 years, recently retired, and moved to Elko, NV. Ely is a nice town in the high mountains and I visit there from time to time. I settled on Elko because it is a bit larger, has an airport with commercial flights, and also has a few larger stores (WalMart, K-Mart, Home Depot). Employment is strong here; so strong, in fact, that housing is a bit of a problem. In any case Elko, which is about 100 miles from Ely, is worth a look also.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM

47 posts, read 231,807 times
Haven't been to Ely for 2 or 3 years, but liked it when I visited....stayed in the KOA south of town several times. Was not even aware of prison in Ely...is it a new thing? Lots of good outdoor recreational opportunities there. Elko a nice town as well....love the Rubys!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM

83 posts, read 523,834 times
Ely is a great place. We have family there who live, work, play and thrive. It's worth checking out.
I think the Elko area is much prettier though. I like Clover Valley, Elburz, etc. All out of the way places where you can be a hermit. We are country folk and like places like that.
We hope to move there in the next few years. Don't mind the commute to Elko for work as long as we can have our little homestead.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:42 PM

402 posts, read 1,530,223 times
As far as work, the mine in Ruth is hiring like crazy right now! All time high metals prices mean incresed production, not only here but in other mining towns. Housing seems to be a bit overpriced right now. REntals seem to be in short supply as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada