Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me more about Austin, Eureka and Ely? I am fascinated by the remote location of these towns and I wonder what would be like to live in one of these towns along the Loneliest Road in the USA. Also, I am planning on doing the Loneliest Road soon and I will be probably coming from Reno and making my way to Ely. Any relevant info I need to know? Is the drive pretty safe? Gas stations along this route? Or would you not recommend it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Bring a woman, you won't find a single woman out there. Bring along something to do... Get to know the Schwan man, or run to Walmart in Fallon once a month for $1,000 worth of shopping. Oh,, bring a job too...

Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Right to the essentials. A well furred women might be even better...gets cold there at night.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,388 times
I'm asuming you'll be well armed. Definitely BYOW (bring your own women),then everyone eklse can spend their time trying to steal her away. Bring plenty of ammo, and if possible: someone to ride shotgun so you can take turns sleeping/sentry duty. Be careful, and circle the trucks at night..

Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM

83 posts, read 523,215 times
My grandmother in law lives in Ely. My husband spent a lot of his childhood there.
I love Ely. It's nice and quiet. Very peaceful and friendly.
I assume the other posters are joking because I've seen quite a few women there. LOL
There aren't many high paying jobs. We looked into that when we were considering moving there. Most jobs seemed to be "service" jobs.
My husband is a front end alignment tech so he would at least have a chance.
We still may settle there one day but we like the Elko/Wells area better.
It's much prettier than Ely, I think.
That road is very long and lonely. Make sure you fill up everytime you stop. If I remember correctly there are a couple of signs telling you how many miles to the next station.
It is very beautiful though. We drive out there every year or two and I am always excited to go.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:26 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
Prison in Ely. Kind of a small Elko but more out-of-the-way. Austin & Eureka are a step back in time ... say, the "Gunsmoke" years and most of what previous posters have said is true - bring your own everything. Suspect it might be quite a trip to Fallon (Fallon is kind of nice) - Elko is probably your closest thing to a "gear-up" town. But part of living in outback-Nevada involves getting around to a lot of places as something to do - so go plenty of places, take your full wallet and gear up every chance you get.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
lukeache,
Don't forget to read "Desperation" by Stephen King first before driving up there.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:49 PM

402 posts, read 1,527,812 times
Austin to Fallon is the longest strech of that road without gas, and its only about 150 miles or so. Austin and Eureka are about 75 miles apart, and Eureka to Ely is about 80. Ive never done the drive in winter, but is a good drive in the spring or fall.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
If you're going to do all of Hwy 50, be sure to top off the gas tank when you can (gas is expensive out there!!). Also carry some water if you're going to do this trip in the summer. It gets up in the 90's most days.

Austin is an interesting little town. There are some old and historical buildings. You can probably see all of it in less than an hour. Ely is a bigger town. Check out the railroad museum and take a ride on a old steam train while in Ely. Nevada Northern Railway

Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 AM

3 posts, read 12,619 times
If you think Ely is remote, try to find my former home in Pony Springs, NV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: