Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,445,913 times

Advertisements

about two hours by horse west of Cherry Creek, I recollect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 02:16 AM

357 posts, read 1,615,704 times
OK, seeing as how I live in the Eureka area, here's what I can tell you about the three towns:

Ely is the largest of the bunch, population about 4,000. There's at least four gas stations in town, and if you have a credit card, you can get gas at any time of the day or night. The cheapest station for gas/diesel is usually the Sinclair station on the rez that is on US 93 headed south out of Ely.

There's a bunch to see/do around Ely. Rather than duplicate a bunch of information here, just stop in at the White Pine Courthouse and ask for tourist info.

Moving west along US 50 is Ruth, where the copper mine pit is. There is a small town of Ruth, which is a semi-ghost town. Miners still live there. The mine is currently operating, but they no longer smelt copper there; it is shipped to China for smelting.

Next west is Eureka, a town of about 650 people. There is the Ruby Hill gold mining property right next to the town that employs about 110 people. There is a thriving farming area north of Eureka known as Diamond Valley if you happen to like looking at farming areas. For tourist stuff, you can go to the Eureka Courthouse and ask, or just go up to the Eureka Sentinel Museum behind the Chevron station and ask. There are two gas stations: the Quick Stop and the Chevron. The Quick Stop is usually a tad cheaper than Chevron, but Chevron has credit card gas pumps if it is after 9:00pm. There is a grocery store (Raines Market) that has quite the collection of big game mounts in the store, as well as having all manner of food and sundries. Open from 9:00am to 7:00pm.

Moving west along 50, we run next into Austin. Austin used to be the county seat of Lander County, but lost out to Battle Mountain awhile back. Austin supports a population of about 300 to 350 people. There's a few things to see in Austin, in particular Stokes Castle up on the hill, and the churches.

The drive from Fallon to Ely is plenty safe, assuming you've checked your car for obvious issues beforehand. All these people telling you to carry a copy of King's "Desperation" are full of nonsense, and likely haven't ever been in any of these towns. Yes, we're very well armed out here in central Nevada, and as a result almost no one locks their doors to their house, their car, or takes the keys out of their cars/farm equipment around here. That's why Stephen King's movie was made in Arizona -- because if he shot the film around here, the locals would have hounded him for the nonsensical representation of how things really are.

Unlike most areas of the US, if your car breaks down on US 50, someone will stop to help you before very long. If you get off into the areas north or south of US 50, tho, you'd better tell someone where you're going, because the cell phone coverage is very spotty and if you're on the wrong road, it might be a week before someone happens by. I've happened by city slickers off on the county dirt roads who had no clue how they got there, even less clue where they thought they were going, they had no maps, no water, no provisions and no survival equipment. In this area of the country, such behavior is not a very suave move.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 47,840 times
Take a peek a the Nevada tourism site. There is a Lonliest Road in America map and also a check-list that is punched out or rubber-stamped or something like that to proove that you actually made the trip. When the trip is done, you send the "ticket" to the state, and they send you a certificate saying you "Survived the Lonliest Road in America." Its lots of fun. Enjoy yourself.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 PM

29 posts, read 92,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Can anybody tell me more about Austin, Eureka and Ely? I am fascinated by the remote location of these towns and I wonder what would be like to live in one of these towns along the Loneliest Road in the USA. Also, I am planning on doing the Loneliest Road soon and I will be probably coming from Reno and making my way to Ely. Any relevant info I need to know? Is the drive pretty safe? Gas stations along this route? Or would you not recommend it? Thanks!
i made the run in october,a bit on the cool side but very nice.good idea to bring a woman,gun and water.the towns are 600 pop. and below,just stopped for lunch when i filled up and i filled up every time i saw a gas station.be sure your vehicle is in good running shape and bring spare parts along that you need to run the car or truck.very desolate,lots of burnt land but i love the desert and after working const. for 20 years i get along with all types and accept people for what they are,keeping a eye on them also.i had a good time you should also just don't break down.oh yes do it when you don't have to worry about weather,hot or cold.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 37,685 times
I'm from Texas, and I did drive the loneliest Road in the USA, which is probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me. Though it was long, I did enjoy the scenery and the solitude I experienced. Well worthwhile!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,748 times
I have drove highway 50 quite a few times....my family lives in reno and i in ely. the drive is fairly safe. just make sure you get gas whenever possible...austin has the highest gas along the way...there is also gas in fallon [of course], austin, eureka, and ely ... there are a lot of straight stretches...for me this is what makes the trip so long...some places of interest along the way are Grimes Point Archaeological Area...sand mountain rec area...the earthquake fault park...the petroglyph park... the shoe tree...the stores and castle in austin...and a few pony express trail areas as well as old buildings and historical markers along the way...its not so lonely anymore...ive seen quite a few cars...even during the week...in and around ely there is liberty pit mine overlook...northern nevada railroad....and ward charcoal ovens ...those are the main ones that come to mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: