Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Dem' Lincoln Boyz" music dangerous?
Yes 4 28.57%
No 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 AM

65 posts, read 148,113 times

Advertisements

Hello Lincoln,
I am a father of three and am very concerned over “gangster” rap in our great city. Rap Group “Dem’ Lincoln Boyz” make the type of music which poisons the minds of our youth. Their music is packed with vulgarity, and encourages violent behavior. I hope that as a community we can band together and do something about this vile music even if that means taking the issue to the media.
Concerned parents and good citizens, I urge you to listen to this wretched music and join me in my quest to keep it away from the ears of our youth.
Listen to their music yourself and hear what I feel is a crime against our city. Dem’ Lincoln Boyz on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,657,072 times
But what if, instead, you were a father of three and you were very concerned over "viral marketing" in our great internet? What would you tell your kids about this thread?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,707,245 times
Wink Just a little TIC

And evil creeps in on little cat feet...

Some kids already are listening to gangsta rap. It isn't like it is anything new, or something that they couldn't pick up if they chose to. Other kids hear it and think - "that's disgusting!" and won't have anything to do with it. Banning a group or a song or lyrics will get folks screaming about "free speech!" and trying to make parents look foolish, uneducated, and like book-burning religious nuts. It will also draw more attention to the music, and people who wouldn't or didn't think about it before will listen to it for themselves to find out what it is all about, and either agree - or not. Nice try. But I wouldn't go to the link provided, because, well, um... yeah. Boring. No interest.

Music is a reflection of the times. The times are all about gangsta and wearing one's pants around one's knees and talking ghetto and acting as if drugs are no big deal - as well as ridiculing strong relationships and partnerships, hard work, and personal responsibility. If you have raised your kids in the latter perspectives, they will be as offended as you by that type of music. If, however, your children are easily impressed or swayed by vulgarity, a lack of motivation, or a dearth of emotional commitment, they are already well on their way to that hell.

I am still looking for a record-player that plays backwards so that I can finally hear the demon-worshipping sentiments supposedly inherent in Beatles' records. Guess I'll just have to keep playing them forwards. Does that mean that I am only going to Purgatory?

Good call, tablemtn. And so quick, too!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,082,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
And evil creeps in on little cat feet...

Some kids already are listening to gangsta rap. It isn't like it is anything new, or something that they couldn't pick up if they chose to. Other kids hear it and think - "that's disgusting!" and won't have anything to do with it. Banning a group or a song or lyrics will get folks screaming about "free speech!" and trying to make parents look foolish, uneducated, and like book-burning religious nuts. It will also draw more attention to the music, and people who wouldn't or didn't think about it before will listen to it for themselves to find out what it is all about, and either agree - or not. Nice try. But I wouldn't go to the link provided, because, well, um... yeah. Boring. No interest.

Music is a reflection of the times. The times are all about gangsta and wearing one's pants around one's knees and talking ghetto and acting as if drugs are no big deal - as well as ridiculing strong relationships and partnerships, hard work, and personal responsibility. If you have raised your kids in the latter perspectives, they will be as offended as you by that type of music. If, however, your children are easily impressed or swayed by vulgarity, a lack of motivation, or a dearth of emotional commitment, they are already well on their way to that hell.

I am still looking for a record-player that plays backwards so that I can finally hear the demon-worshipping sentiments supposedly inherent in Beatles' records. Guess I'll just have to keep playing them forwards. Does that mean that I am only going to Purgatory?

Good call, tablemtn. And so quick, too!

Music can also drive culture--not just reflect it.

Many parents who wouldn't dream of letting their kid watch a movie with that kind of language in it, but they let their kid listen to the music.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM

65 posts, read 148,113 times
Default Clear up

I sincerely apologize if anyone thinks this is some type of viral marketing effort. The only reason I posted the link is so people could hear the music which I am truly concerned about. I agree it should not be banned, but I feel like we need to do something and am not quite sure what it is. But once again I really am sorry if anyone thinks I am trying to pull a quick one on them, because that is the last thing I am interested in doing.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,284,523 times
I think the best you could do, is contact the group and encourage them to turn their music in a more positive direction as some artists have done. otherwise its pretty much out of your hands.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 AM

43 posts, read 138,266 times
I just listened to their music... and it does not sound good anyways. It doesn't sound professionally produced either... I wouldn't worry too much about it...

Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,017,307 times
No music should ever be banned. But that doesn't stop a parent from forbidding their children from listening to the music.

While I generally despise "gangsta" rap, I think its probably the least of our youths' worries.

Start with their education, respect for others, and a general sense of empathy and the rest will take care of itself.

When parents look inward and actually put some blame on themselves and their own kids then whether or not some vulgar and offensive material exists is irrelevant. Teach your kids how to deal with it and put it in its proper light...don't just try to shelter them from it.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:44 AM

139 posts, read 471,558 times
Didn't Tipper Gore already beat this issue completely into the ground in the 80's?? While most gangsta rap is a virus that spreads misogynist garbage to the youth of today, attempting another witch hunt won't do anyone any good. There is a lot of music I despise, if I don't like it, I don't listen to it. And if I had kids I would simply forbid it.

And with a name like "dem Lincoln boyz" they can't be destined for greatness, i'm sure in due time the boyz will simply fade away.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,707,245 times
NO NO NO NO NO

NEVER "forbid" ANYthing to your kids!

Instead, indulge them, appreciate them, and don't let them EVER have the chance to sneak around behind your back until such behavior becomes a habit.

Kids "rebel" at many stages in their lives, but mostly at the teen years. A HUGE part of that rebelliousness is doing what is "forbidden". When my kids wanted to listen to that kind of music, I let them know that it was not something that promoted our work ethic nor our attitude toward life - and let them listen to it until they realized that, yes, it WAS garbage, and never bothered with it again. When my daughter 'went Goth" I bought even more outrageous black and blue nailpolish and lipstick, dressed in black (with capes, scarves, lace, etc) and wore the "goth" earrings. Totally frustrated her. When she came home with blue or burgundy hair, I stood her in front of the mirror and showed her what outfits she could (and couldn't) wear with her new hair. When she decided that Madonna was "IT", I sat down at the TV concert with her and exclaimed over her clothes, her grabbing herself, her ridiculous and childish sexual posturing as if it were laudable - and my daughter's reaction was - "I didn't realize how gross she really is." When she finally realized that no matter what sort of rebellion she practiced, I was in full and delighted assent with her, she'd throw it over. Her early and consistent education in style and self-respect finally won out. Now she is a functional working member of society, with a college degree and a long-term employment (just got ANOTHER raise).

When my oldest joined the USAF, and called home six months later, railing at me for being a lousy Mom, I - laughed at him. When he REALLY got mad and asked what I was laughing at, I told him, "It's about time you cut the apron strings!"

He was flabbergasted, and so was she - because they came to the realization that they were loved, and that we had given them more than worldly things - we had given them the right, the education, the full responsibility of and the ABILITY to be themselves, without being swayed by fads or foolishness. Now we are all best friends.

It's true, you know - "raise a child up in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". All I can say is - PAY ATTENTION to your kids, especially their rebellions - because each one is telling you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska