Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

College freshman transferring out of state to University of Nebraska, Southeast Community College, seeking information on Lincoln Nebraska crime rate, conservative or liberal atmosphere

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM

337 posts, read 1,529,199 times

Advertisements

Hello! Freshman at Des Moines Area Community College here - looking to move elsewhere with my education. I am definitely the type of person who believes in doing the first 2 years of gen. ed. at a community college and then transfer to a university.

Recently I decided I want to go to a university out of state, possibly University of Nebraska - but I was thinking about transferring to Southeast Community College next fall so that when I do have to pay out of state for a year - it will be a lot cheaper than doing so at a university. (Kind of complicated, I realize)

I just have a few questions about Lincoln! I've been there a few times, and I think it really suits me! I really like laid back mid-sized cities on the plains/midwest ... I do not like crime, some people deal with it just so they can live somewhere with big-city atmosphere, but not me. Is Lincoln safe like Des Moines? What is crime like there?

Also ... I'm a conservative, and the reason I don't want to go to UI in Iowa City is because it is extremely liberal there ... is Lincoln conservative like the rest of Nebraska? If so, I think I'd love it.

I guess I'm just looking for general information on SCC and Lincoln itself ... any helpful information is much appreciated! Thanks for your time neighbors to the West!!

ALSO - it should just take one year to become a resident right? Anyone had experience with doing this?

Thanks and take care!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,150,653 times
I would check with the university as to what their exact definition of a "resident" is for tution purposes. Southeast would be a good community college and you should have no problem transferring credits from there to UNL. Lincoln is pretty safe and is still a conservative city.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
NT is there any major college campus anywhere that isn't dominated by Liberal professors?

There are a few conservative professors on the UNL campus but most of them are teaching in the Sciences not in the humanities. Among the student population at UNL you have to realize that many of the students grew up in rural areas where conservatism is thriving. However after being brainwashed for two or three years by Liberal thought unless they are really strong minded they "go along to get along".

I am 62 years old and retired. I have taken classes at both UNL and SCC in various subjects and IMHO I really think the instructors at SCC are better. Plus the classes will be a lot smaller. You will save a ton of money by attending classes at SCC and then transferring to UNL for the final two years. I am not sure on the residency requirement for UNL but I think it is 6 months. However if you are a full time student and from out of state I don't know when the clock starts on fulfilling the residency requirements. One of the advisors at SCC could give you that information.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
NT is there any major college campus anywhere that isn't dominated by Liberal professors?

There are a few conservative professors on the UNL campus but most of them are teaching in the Sciences not in the humanities. Among the student population at UNL you have to realize that many of the students grew up in rural areas where conservatism is thriving. However after being brainwashed for two or three years by Liberal thought unless they are really strong minded they "go along to get along".

I am 62 years old and retired. I have taken classes at both UNL and SCC in various subjects and IMHO I really think the instructors at SCC are better. Plus the classes will be a lot smaller. You will save a ton of money by attending classes at SCC and then transferring to UNL for the final two years. I am not sure on the residency requirement for UNL but I think it is 6 months. However if you are a full time student and from out of state I don't know when the clock starts on fulfilling the residency requirements. One of the advisors at SCC could give you that information.
Yes, I think I will be in the clear for residency at UNL because I will do a full year at SCC. I wouldn't imagine it's longer than a year.

You make a good point about public universities being dominated by a liberal teaching base - it is quite frustrating and I'm sure you realize that. I do like the fact UNL has a true-Nebraskan student body.. at the University of Iowa - more than half of the student body is suburban Chicagoites it seems.

Does anyone on this forum have info on Lincoln itself? Are there real areas to avoid or is this a safe-to-go all around city? I will be living in an off-campus apartment and have been looking at apartmentguide.com.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,150,653 times
Traveler, here are some previous threads on Lincoln that might help a little.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/nebra...g-lincoln.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/nebra...ttend-unl.html

What seems to be the worse areas and just south of downtown and just east of the college, but they are not that horrible of areas. Also check out the newspaper for rental listings.
http://www.journalstar.com/

Last edited by tpabes; 10-15-2008 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Traveler I live in Lincoln. I am in one of the better parts of town but I have a sister and brother in law that live in what is considered the worst part of town. They are within walking distance of the UNL main campus. They have been there for 15 years. There have been two drive by shootings within a block of their home in the past year but both of those incidents were gang related. Their house was tagged by graffiti artists over the summer. They have two dogs that they keep in the house and I am positive that is the main reason that their home has not been burglarized or broken into. The UNL is partly responsible for the deterioration of some of the neighborhoods in Lincoln IMHO. Slumlords will buy a house in neighborhoods close to the campus than rent it out to four or more UNL students and collect rents of anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 per month for a dump. They do not spend any more than they have to on upkeep. Even if they did when you have a bunch of rowdy college kids throwing wild parties on a regular basis the chances are pretty good that any niceties will be turned into junk in a short time. Now I am not trying to stereotype ALL UNL students that live off campus as party animals that do not give a damn BUT there is a certain percentage of them that are. Everybody suffers because of this.

You sound like one of the students who can be an asset to the community Northern Traveler. If you need any information feel free to contact me on this board and I will do my best to steer you to a source of information.

Good Luck,

GL2

Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Traveler I live in Lincoln. I am in one of the better parts of town but I have a sister and brother in law that live in what is considered the worst part of town. They are within walking distance of the UNL main campus. They have been there for 15 years. There have been two drive by shootings within a block of their home in the past year but both of those incidents were gang related. Their house was tagged by graffiti artists over the summer. They have two dogs that they keep in the house and I am positive that is the main reason that their home has not been burglarized or broken into. The UNL is partly responsible for the deterioration of some of the neighborhoods in Lincoln IMHO. Slumlords will buy a house in neighborhoods close to the campus than rent it out to four or more UNL students and collect rents of anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 per month for a dump. They do not spend any more than they have to on upkeep. Even if they did when you have a bunch of rowdy college kids throwing wild parties on a regular basis the chances are pretty good that any niceties will be turned into junk in a short time. Now I am not trying to stereotype ALL UNL students that live off campus as party animals that do not give a damn BUT there is a certain percentage of them that are. Everybody suffers because of this.

You sound like one of the students who can be an asset to the community Northern Traveler. If you need any information feel free to contact me on this board and I will do my best to steer you to a source of information.

Good Luck,

GL2
Well I hope I can be an asset to the community. I'm not a big partier .. don't get me wrong, a drink here and there while socializing is a great thing ... but the crazy party scene is why I wouldn't want to live on a campus. I'll probably just pick a nice apartment in a more "suburban" area of town even though that will require a little driving.

Also .. too bad to hear your sister's neighborhood has gotten worse over the years. But sometimes that's just a phase, neighborhoods like that often get renovated and turn back to a great place to live when groups really work hard to change it. I know we had the same thing happening to the neighborhood around Drake University here in Des Moines .. but there are quite a few urban renewal projects happening now. Always a good thing to see.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:23 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,692 times
I was born in Lincoln and have Family there but i havent been there much in..
Years.Cant imagine there is much crime especially for a mid-sized City.
I dont even remember seeing "Bad" Area's but im sure they exist.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 PM

A bad area in Lincoln would be safe compared to the South Bronx or anywhere in Detroit and other places I have visited.. If you are stupid you can get yourself mugged in Lincoln, unlike the aforementioned areas where all you have to do to get mugged is be there.

GL2

Old 02-24-2009, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 19,942 times
Reading this post is definitely deterring me from moving here....Whackos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska