Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 PM

164 posts, read 398,458 times

Advertisements

Well, after a year and a half of planning, researching and waiting, we are finally moving to Murfreesboro on July 7th of 2010.

We have an apartment lined up in Murfreesboro and we are going to hit the house hunting. Our choices are Smyrna/La Vergne/Murfreesboro and surrounding Rutherford County.

We have seen lots of property for sale in La Vergne and I wonder why.

How did these areas do with the recent flooding?

My husband is set with his job and we don't need to worry about school systems. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2-car garage up to appx. $130k.

Thanks for any help or insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,851 times
I would skip Lavergne entirely. Not a very attractive place. You might want to check out the Evergreen Farms neighborhood in the boro. You can actually get a 3/2 in that price range. It won't be very big though.

Welcome to Murfreesboro.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Thanks Kim. Actually, when we were down there in Feb. we saw Evergreen. It is a nice area. So different from my dirt road, two acres of woods in New Hampshire.

Can't wait to get warm.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:10 PM

36 posts, read 63,667 times
in terms of the rest of middle tennessee, the murf area didnt get hit bad by the flooding. the worst of it was around south nashville and west of it. i live in lebanon and we got 9 inches, but the square and the area surrounding it was flooded. murf got less

id agree about lavergne. smyrna isnt terrible, but wouldnt be my first choice either. im in murfreesboro a lot (i go to school at MTSU), and its pretty decent. i cant really recommend anywhere to live since i dont notice those things, but id say you can get what youre looking for and live in a decent neighborhood.

also, yes youll certainly get warm once you arrive, will be square in the middle of summer. should be around 90 or a bit more and quite humid

Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,087 times
Yes, please skip LaVergne.

I live near Evergreen Farms and we didn't have any major flooding problems in this area. Other parts of Murfreesboro didn't fare as well. They got more rain in LaVergne and parts of Smyrna than we did here, so of course the flooding was worse in those areas. I wouldn't rule out Smyrna either. Take your time and get to know the area so you can pick out what fits you best. Welcome and I wish you the best!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,453 times
Choose Smyrna...less people (and thusly crime) that Murfreesboro home in the price range you are looking for. And not all parts of LaVergne are "bad" anything west of Murfreesboro road is "ok".

Old 05-31-2010, 11:41 AM

694 posts, read 745,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
Well, after a year and a half of planning, researching and waiting, we are finally moving to Murfreesboro on July 7th of 2010.

We have an apartment lined up in Murfreesboro and we are going to hit the house hunting. Our choices are Smyrna/La Vergne/Murfreesboro and surrounding Rutherford County.

We have seen lots of property for sale in La Vergne and I wonder why.

How did these areas do with the recent flooding?

My husband is set with his job and we don't need to worry about school systems. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2-car garage up to appx. $130k.

Thanks for any help or insight.
I live in the County (Rutherford) just outside the town of Smyrna, although my address is Murfreesboro, or the 'boro as many people refer to it. I like the Smyrna because it is big enough (38 k) to have much of what you might want, it is very close to Murfreesboro which has the same things as Smyrna and much more. Smyrna puts you much closer to Nashville that it would seem by looking at a map if you need to go to Nashville (which is ALL of Davidson County).

Rutherford Co. is interesting because it has several cities but also has a tremendous amount of "country" and farmland at the same time.
Expect summer highs in the '80s and '90s with high humidity and winter highs in the '30 and '40s with not much snow over all. It normally doesn't snow here until at least the end of January most years, and it will be only a couple of inches and lasts only a couple of days if that. Welcome!

Charles

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM

thanks all, for the replies.

God willing we close on our NH home tomorrow and our e.t.a. in the 'boro is July 8.

I did like Smyrna, the size and the amenities. The 'boro would be o.k. too. Christiana seems nice too.

Again, thanks and anything else you can think to share would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 AM

72 posts, read 389,347 times
buddyjo143, how'd your closing go?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM

46 posts, read 152,619 times
Do you guys have fire ants in TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville