Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 AM

228 posts, read 697,296 times

Advertisements

Hi I’m a graduate student and I’ll be attending TSU in the fall (late august) and I have a lot of questions about moving to Nashville.

I am from Toronto, Canada. Toronto is huge compared to Nashville and it relatively safe here. I heard there’s more crime in Nashville than I’m use to in Toronto.

Since I’ll be living by myself I’m looking for a nice, clean and safe area within the city. I don’t need to live that close to TSU (I heard that the area is not the best in the world), but since I probably won’t have a car I don’t want to live in an area that’s more than 30 mins way by bus. I’m looking to pay around 800-900/mo for rent (1 bedroom), and the area should be close to public transit, shopping, restaurants etc.

What’s the average cost of utilities each month? Where I live everything is included so I don’t know much about paying for utilities. And is it true that you have to pay for trash disposal?

How is the public transit in Nashville? I was looking at some of the schedules and a lot of routes stop running after rush hour. So If I have classes ending at 8:00pm, will I be stranded in the middle of nowhere?

I appreciate all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,245,175 times
That is a tall order. I'll have to think about some of your issues for a bit.

You probably won't have to pay for trash pickup. The city picks up the trash in the urban service district, and most apartment complexes have dumpsters for the residents to use. Utilities are reasonably here for the most part.

The biggest problem I see for you is finding a nice, safe place to live where you can take the bus to TSU and run other errands. And you're right, the TSU area isn't the best part of town. Let me see if I can think of something.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:22 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,040,547 times
Live somewhere on West End, like the Westboro or Blackstone Apartments. You can hop a bus right over to TSU, which indeed is in the ghetto. If you're willing to pay 800-900 a month for a 1br, you can live pretty much anywhere. Rents are not high in Nashville.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 AM

228 posts, read 697,296 times
West end, is that near Vanderblit? I was looking into that area, but I wasn't sure how far it is from TSU.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 15,370 times
I'm in the process of moving to Nashville with similar requests! The apts listed above are in the area I'm looking at, they seem to be close to a lot and near a bus. But I've heard about the West End being somewhat of a ghetto in some parts so be careful. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
West end, is that near Vanderblit? I was looking into that area, but I wasn't sure how far it is from TSU.
Yes, Vanderbilt is off of West End. If you were driving a car, you could get from the Vandy area of West End to the TSU campus in about 15 or 20 minutes; I'm not sure about how long it takes on a bus. It would take even less time if you were living on West End near one of the Interstate on-ramps.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel23 View Post
I'm in the process of moving to Nashville with similar requests! The apts listed above are in the area I'm looking at, they seem to be close to a lot and near a bus. But I've heard about the West End being somewhat of a ghetto in some parts so be careful. Good luck with your move!
No, that's incorrect. No parts of West End are like a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville