Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 PM

43 posts, read 119,703 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to TN and though I have a cousin in Knoxville, am anxious about not moving to where my sibbling resides in another State. Has anyone done this & have any remorse? We are empty nestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
Two years ago we moved to another state where we had no family and knew no one. Frankly, it was the best thing we ever did for ourselves. We also are empty nesters and found that our parents and siblings (both husband's and wife's)wanted more control in our lives than we were willing to allow.

Once we got the last child in college, we were ready for some "us" time and they were constantly demanding command performances from us. It was mostly a problem with our siblings. My husband was already working out of state from time to time so we decided to move and make his job there more permanent.

Our decision to move went over with the families like a lead balloon. There were threats to cut us out of wills and my mother didn't speak to us for months. But, I have to say moving was one the the greatest things we have ever done for us. We now have our life, not everyone else's life.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
In 1994 I moved to Nashville from NJ. I moved all allone and knew absolutely nobody and hardly knew my way around. My nearest realtive was 900 miles away. It had to have been the BEST thing I EVER did. Not one bit of remorse at all. I got married in 98 and we moved to Murfreesboro in 2000 and will be here forever!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Two years ago we moved to another state where we had no family and knew no one. Frankly, it was the best thing we ever did for ourselves. We also are empty nesters and found that our parents and siblings (both husband's and wife's)wanted more control in our lives than we were willing to allow.

Once we got the last child in college, we were ready for some "us" time and they were constantly demanding command performances from us. It was mostly a problem with our siblings. My husband was already working out of state from time to time so we decided to move and make his job there more permanent.

Our decision to move went over with the families like a lead balloon. There were threats to cut us out of wills and my mother didn't speak to us for months. But, I have to say moving was one the the greatest things we have ever done for us. We now have our life, not everyone else's life.
You have to live YOUR life and I'm so glad you did!

Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 AM

Thanks to your responses since you both made me less anxious and must live for ourselves's and not other's. Have been to BNA numerous years ago on business but was never able to explore the communities. Will make plans to visit sometime this summer and, if we do decide that BNA is our home to be, am sure will get a bucket of garbage from the family, but unless they pay my bill's, it is our life.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
I just want to echo previous posters. We moved here from CA in 2001 with no jobs, no friends, and no family. Best decision we ever made. We love it, our kids love it, and we can't imagine going back.

I wish you luck!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
I just want to say that in our case, we are still adjusting to not being near family & friends. We moved to TN from CT/NY about 21 months ago and are still missing everyone. I think the important thing is to find what area of TN you really want to live and start a new life. We realize after moving to middle TN that eastern TN may be more of what we are looking for. We're slowly making some friends but it does take time.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM

223 posts, read 583,045 times
I retired last year and my wife and I (empty nesters) moved to Murfreesboro from northern Illinois. Our children live in Connecticut. I did have a friend who retired a couple of years before me that lives in Franklin but otherwise we knew nobody here. It's been great. The people here are very welcoming. I wouldn't hesitate to move where I have no family. The other advantage is that you can avoid 90% of the family drama as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:29 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
I moved here from NJ, 3 years ago from NJ. We moved here with only my daughter then in HS, who is now in college in Murfreessboro. My son did not follow us, but 5 months ago decided he would rather be here. We lives in Murfreesboro, where he found employment.
It worked out well for us.
A number of months after I moved here and found Nashville New Neighbors. Most moved here from Elsewhere, but in August we have ammmesty month, so may get locals who are interested in our activities.

Home - New Neighbors

Diane G

Old 06-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I moved here from NJ, 3 years ago from NJ. We moved here with only my daughter then in HS, who is now in college in Murfreessboro. My son did not follow us, but 5 months ago decided he would rather be here. We lives in Murfreesboro, where he found employment.
It worked out well for us.
A number of months after I moved here and found Nashville New Neighbors. Most moved here from Elsewhere, but in August we have ammmesty month, so may get locals who are interested in our activities.

Home - New Neighbors

Diane G
Thanks for the site; very insightful and welcoming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville