Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM

134 posts, read 680,606 times

Advertisements

Well I did it...I packed up my rescue dogs and move to TN!

I found a little log cabin home to rent on 2 acres and just set up a 300 sq ft fence for my dogs outside. All was going well...

(play the violins please)

I just found out the job I was to work at in Brentwood has a hiring freeze! OH NO.

I pay $895 rent plus utilities w/no job and 3 dogs...

Good news
I'm single and can live really cheap if need be...not materialistic at all.

Bad news
1. Just found out I have a ruptured disc in my back
2. Just found out I need a root canal
3. Transmission is about to die in car
4. I take meds for a condition and am running out

No pity party for me...I made the choice to come out here and LOVE it over So Cal.

I just need to either make a min of $2000 a month or look for another place to live.

Here's where I need locals advice or those who are good at real estate (I am not)

I will pay almost $15k this year in rent and all other expenses for housing. What a waste!

I have a six month lease due in June.

I have looked at mobile homes in Hickman County and some start at $15k! I know these are beaters and I will have to deal with some neighbors that might be a pain, but if I can get a couple of acres I can get that fence for my dogs up and possibly rescue more.

People actually leave their poor dogs out all night in the rain and cold out here...blows me away.

Bottom line...I need to live for cheap this next year or two.

I am open to all thoughts here that are practical and/or creative. I'd like to catch 2-3 fish w/one line if I can like working at a place that doesn't pay as much but does offer other advances like food or cheap rent. I cannot do manual labor anymore w/my back or stand for long...so working as a hotel clerk is the compromise I might have to make which is what I mean by working for less if it accommodates and I can get some health insurance out of it.

I have an emergency fund w/about 30k in it and 1/2 will go to rent this year unless I can get work. I cannot afford to waste this money and need to make it work for me.

Ideally, I'd like more rural/isolation for the dogs and am open to moving out of Williamson/Dickson County area.

If I was totally honest I would say I have had it with corporate America. I lived it and love working with my dogs now. Am I escaping? Maybe... I just don't deal with all the image and games people play to keep up appearances.

Of course those living in Brentwood would never feel they are doing so...but all my rich friends live there and I am SO bored around them. I need to break free and am almost glad the hiring freeze is in place or I would NEVER have the guts to do this. Maybe a turn of events is a blessing? Deep down I think I am a minimalist and am at peace with simplicity...why not live where that is a lifestyle?

Not sure this resonates with anyone, but unless you are deeply entrenched in this lifestyle of things, the lastest technologies, being around those who are very successful and tremendously full of themselves, witnessing your friend chew out his son in front of everyone because he dropped the new Blu-ray remote at a party or the guy who can NEVER be wrong and goes on the lecture curcuit telling everyone else how to live but is clueless to what is going on in his own family...yet he makes a lot of money so he THINKS he is always in control.

This scene is not for me anymore...I want to simplify bigtime.

Please...any suggestions.

Last edited by Pocketplayer; 02-28-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville