Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 19,651 times

Advertisements

Hi, we currently live in Indianapolis,IN and like it okay. It is diverse, even in some suburbs which we really like. We might be moving for husband's job and didn't know how diverse Nashville might be. Any info would be very helpful! thanks!

sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Diversity isn't just about race. I can't think of any place in or around Nashville where you and your family would not be welcomed, assuming you are good, friendly people who take the time to get to know your neighbors.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 PM

149 posts, read 478,218 times
Trust me, Nashville is diverse. It is the most diverse city in the whole South IMO. Large white population. Large black population. -I have noticed a lot more Ethiopians in Nashville this year than any time in the last 5 years. Largest Iraqi community outside of Iraq. Large hispanic population. Even a descent Asian population in South Nashville.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 PM

112 posts, read 436,758 times
There is more than one Ethiopian restaurant in town so that would make me think there is at least a small community here. I've noticed a few of our patients are from there.

Edit: I see you wanted to know about diversity in general. Yes, there are many different ethnic communities here. From what I've seen they seem to be located more within the city boundaries (maybe in the more residential parts of the city) rather than clustered in the suburbs like other parts of the country. I belong to an ethnic community myself and I've felt fine in the time I've lived here, but I live in the city limits and don't travel outside of the area very much except to Brentwood and Cool Springs. If I visit a Target in Nashville, Brentwood, and Cool Springs, I'd say that the Target in Nashville had the most diverse population shopping there compared to the other two locations.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 PM

180 posts, read 596,785 times
You would be just fine here. Lot's of diversity and different ethnic groups especially here in the last few years. You would be welcomed just like anyone would be. Trust me!!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1ralph2 View Post
Hi, we currently live in Indianapolis,IN and like it okay. It is diverse, even in some suburbs which we really like. We might be moving for husband's job and didn't know how diverse Nashville might be. Any info would be very helpful! thanks!

sarah
According to the US State Department, since 2000 more foreign refugees have chosen to live in Nashville than Indianapolis. I think you'll do just fine.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 PM

160 posts, read 502,634 times
I live in "white conservative" Mount Juliet and my next door neighbors are first generation Ethiopians and across the street from me are 1st generation Indians. I coached a first generation Mexican in soccer last year and one of my daughter's best friend's parents emmigrated (or is it immigrated, I can never remember) from Africa a couple years before she was born.
If it's that diverse where I am, I'm sure other suburbs will be just as diverse, if not more so.
Enjoy!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 PM

43 posts, read 305,375 times
I agree with sent, that you are more likely to find diversity within the metro area as opposed to further out communities. But you may be surprised... Nashville is a pretty diverse place and on par or even more diverse than Indianapolis (IMO).

Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,449 times
I agree with the others, I have lived here my entire life and can't think of an area you would be unwelcome. I am a real estate agent and sell to many diverse families in all different areas. Let me know if you have any questions and I will help you all that I can. Good Luck with your move!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:23 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
There are a lot of internationally adopted (not just from China) in Franklin.

Where are these Ethiopian restaurants others speak of? I miss the little Ethiopian restaurant that was near my old house, and the Afghani one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville