Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM

187 posts, read 611,838 times

Advertisements

Hello all... Just wondering if I could get some opinions on which food store is the more expensive one, or are they pretty much the same? Any opinions on either one?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,594 times
Overall, I don't see much difference, but Publix has much better produce and a great deli. We prefer Publix for those reasons, and because it's employee owned. The people who work there are invariably helpful and cheerful, because they have ownership in the company.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 AM

85 posts, read 285,028 times
Publix does have better produce and some items that are more upscale, however they do not price match other stores. Kroger likes to advertise items then not have them in stock.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM

764 posts, read 2,548,438 times
I find the prices to be about the same, but, as with the previous poster, the specialty departments - deli, bakery, meat, etc -at Publix seem to be superior. The employees are MUCH friendlier and helpful at Publix which a big reason why I shop there. I haven't even been in a Kroger since Publix came to my area.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

85 posts, read 418,462 times
I used to shop more at Krogers because I thought their prices were a little cheaper but I have found that not to be the case lately. I also prefer Publix because of their customer service. However, I don't think they have as good a selection/variety as Krogers - such as produce, toiletries & organic items. So I do most of my bulk shopping at Publix and occasionally go to Krogers if need be.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
Publix is more expensive on pretty much everything.

When I lived in Tampa I almost NEVER went to Publix and often shopped at Albertsons and Winn-Dixie because they were cheaper.

Publix does have a better meat department, deli, bakery, and produce departments though.

Personally, I find myself shopping at Wal-Mart over both because I find it cheaper but really, It just depends on what you buy because somethings are always going to be more expensive/less expensive.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 AM

27 posts, read 77,108 times
Publix is definitely more expensive. We had been shopping solely at Publix and switched to Kroger about 3 weeks ago. We still pick a few things up there each week, but their juice, cereal and baby things are way over priced. If you want to brave Wal-mart, it is the cheapest by far for the same products.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM

187 posts, read 611,838 times
Thanks for all the replies. Seems a bit mixed, guess it really depends on the "shopper"! At this point. Kroger is closer, but there is a Publix opening Fall 09 right around the corner, so... thought I would get some info. Walmart is the cheapest overall, and the one I shop at is very nice. Only thing is, I am not crazy about their deli. I usually end up at Kroger for deli items.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM

215 posts, read 712,673 times
If you do a item to item comparison of your grocery bill, you will spend less at Kroger compared to Publix. However my wife and I both enjoy shopping at Publix more than Kroger. The main reasons are the great employees, the deli, and the bakery! Everytime I go to Publix I always have at least one employee ask me if I am finding everything okay. That never happens in Kroger. Another thing I appreciate is at the Publix deli they put that plastic between each cheese slice so your deli cheese doesn't get stuck together. At Kroger it is hit n miss with that. I also have come to enjoy the penny item that is available on Sunday and Monday. I have found that I like the Publix brand just as much or even better sometimes than the name brand.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM

162 posts, read 550,655 times
For quality, selection, and service I'd vote for Publix (far and away). For price, its seems like Wal Mart Supercenters are typically more competitive than Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville