Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 PM

27 posts, read 36,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You are worrying about something that won't occur for what, 14 or more years???
Trying to avoid multiple moves, we would like to buy the house we raise our children. Plus I see high ranked schools impact resale value and places us around more families for our kids to socialize with.

Here is the rough search area we are looking? How does this look?

https://imgur.com/CbLwPKc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 12:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRob View Post
Trying to avoid multiple moves, we would like to buy the house we raise our children. Plus I see high ranked schools impact resale value and places us around more families for our kids to socialize with.

Here is the rough search area we are looking? How does this look?

https://imgur.com/CbLwPKc
Looks fine. You can use the Middle TN MLS site also:

https://www.realtracs.com/

Use the Advanced Search tab for more specific results.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:54 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,495,533 times
Quote:
There seems to be a-lot of disagreement ... I have one person telling me 2-3 hours, and others saying 30-40 minutes.

Problem with the Green Hills Area is poor high schools (3/10), would like to be in 5+ range (preferably 8+). I guess we could always consider private school, just not sure how much that runs? Any ideas?
You can do a magnet school - Hume-Fogg, MLK Jr., or Nashville School for the Arts. Hume-Fogg is actually only a half block off Commerce. Also, Hillsboro High is an IB school, so kids in the IB program probably have a different experience than those who aren't. And they're essentially rebuilding the school.

Private school cost vary a decent amount. The legacy schools (MBA, Harpeth Hall, Ensworth, USN, ect) are between $20K - $30K, with primary school being a bit cheaper, but they all have financial aid programs and scholarships that you may qualify for. There are some cheaper options like Lipscomb Academy ($15K-$17K) and Davidson Academy ($13K-$14K). I will say Davidson's facilities aren't as nice as the others and its located in the northern part of the county.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:19 PM

142 posts, read 93,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You are worrying about something that won't occur for what, 14 or more years???
Exactly -- impossible to predict what the world looks like in 14 years, but two likely assumptions are:

1. Green Hills and other desirable in-town neighborhoods will to see improvement in schools.
2. Traffic will get worse.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGentle View Post
Exactly -- impossible to predict what the world looks like in 14 years, but two likely assumptions are:

1. Green Hills and other desirable in-town neighborhoods will to see improvement in schools.
2. Traffic will get worse.
Very true.. one other thought.. you get more for your $ near Franklin. We would like a 4bd 2+bath ~4000sq/ft which seems possible down south but much harder up north.

Also, looking for a house with nice interior/trim options (e.g. high end appliances, nice outside area). I would need to sacrifice some of those things to reduce my commute 10 minutes, that does not seem like a very worthwhile trade-off..

Rob

Old 04-06-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Farr View Post
You’re definitely going to get more bang for your buck the further south you go. From Brentwood to Franklin seems ideal for you family.
I think I am arriving to the same answer, thanks so much for your help! I think we will need to see the area as well, everything is virtual until this darn virus thing gets under control.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,553,727 times
Quote:
There seems to be a-lot of disagreement ... I have one person telling me 2-3 hours, and others saying 30-40 minutes.

Problem with the Green Hills Area is poor high schools (3/10), would like to be in 5+ range (preferably 8+). I guess we could always consider private school, just not sure how much that runs? Any ideas?
Those ratings are useless. Go talk to the people in the school.

I used to live in Williamson. I moved to town because the commute gets old really fast. A commute that was 25 minutes when we first moved here 13 years ago was easily taking 45-60 min when we finally moved 3 years ago. I've had kids in public in both districts. Metro was better for my kids, especially JT Moore (the zoned middle school for Green Hills). I have one son that has ASD (asperger's), dyslexia and gifted. Our school in Wilco only wanted to focus on his weaknesses and not his strengths. He was able to get the dyslexia interventions he needed + walk up a grade for math. My younger son loved the extras at Julia Green like Mandarin and theater. He has blossomed at JTMoore with good extracurriculars and strong academics. Hands down JTMoore is a better experience than we had at our zoned middle school in WCS which is part of what drove us to move as we put our oldest in private school. FWIW I haven't seen any of my JTMoore friends complaining about the school's response to distance learning because of Covid19. All I hear from my WCS friends is complaints. They are not at all happy with the district's response and lack of materials to keep kids learning.

The zoned high school is Hillsboro. Hillsboro is currently under going a massive renovation/rebuild and will so be a beautiful physical space. Hillsboro sends kids to the top colleges in the country every year. The science program and IB program are highly regarded. In addition to Hillsboro you also have choice in MNPS so you could apply to Hume-Fogg or MLk which are usually ranked in the top 100 if not 50 high schools in the country.

Only you can decide what is important to you but sitting in a car and missing family time is something we got tired of.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Only you can decide what is important to you but sitting in a car and missing family time is something we got tired of.
What I cant determine is commute times, I have heard 1-3 hours from Franklin and I have heard 30-40 minutes since I can adjust my work day (I can leave at 615 or 9 for example).

I agree I dont want to be sitting in a car for an hour each way.

Rob

Old 04-06-2020, 07:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:

What I cant determine is commute times, I have heard 1-3 hours from Franklin...
Again, this is not accurate, especially the 3 hour part That person started off talking about the commute on 1-24 from Murfreesboro, which is the worst commute in Middle TN, and somehow (erroneously) extrapolated it to Franklin.

Quote:

... and I have heard 30-40 minutes
This is more realistic, depending on how close to the interstate you are. There are parts of Franklin, which itself is about 42 square miles, where it will take 30 minutes just to get to I-65.

Prioritize your wants, then organize your search according to those priorities.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:31 PM

142 posts, read 93,966 times
I do think seeing the different neighborhoods will give you a good feel for what is the best fit for you and your family. Basically Franklin, Brentwood and Green Hills (as well as others in the area) are all incredibly nice but may have different pros and cons depending on your taste. You can't really go wrong with these spots, it's more about fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville