Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 AM

101 posts, read 383,552 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
FYI, certain breeds of them are found in Florida (they live in some of the Palm trees). A friend of mine owns a construction company and they do lots of Florida work and frequently find them on job sites. We also have small "wood scorpions" here in parts of Georgia that are typical found in wood piles, etc. They are small and the sting/venom is about the same as a bad bee sting.QUOTE]

When I made the comment about them being an AZ thing, I meant between AZ and NM. The poster was concerned about them and plans on moving to the southwest. Just letting her know they're more commonly found in AZ vs NM. I'm sure there are all different kinds of funky little scorpions all over the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:02 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,835,075 times
I can go to sleep anytime. If we have a bad storm with tornado warnings. So what? Why stay up all night? If sometime I do wake up and the house is coming down around me. Well I guess I'll quickly think about it then. We don't have a cellar or shelter. But I do get to sleep.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,479 times
Default Safest place ? HA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I was in the Ramer Building, hiding under a desk

I still get a little jumpy when huge storms come through, but just like you, I get over it. There's no place in the country that doesn't have some kind of weather risk.
I lived in Fresno California.... In land- NO Qakes- NO Fires - NO Tornadic activiety NO hurricanes. Safe right? NOT !!!! It's like living in DETROIT ! (where I was born and raised) Nevermind the tornadoes and live your life ! You should go out and buy a nice Motorcycle and have FUN!!! This is not a dress rehearsal folks ! You only get one chance to live.... Smile and enjoy it When you number comes up. Do you really think that if you choose to "HIDE UNDER A DESK", tha it will stop it ?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
I lived in Fresno California.... In land- NO Qakes- NO Fires - NO Tornadic activiety NO hurricanes. Safe right? NOT !!!! It's like living in DETROIT ! (where I was born and raised) Nevermind the tornadoes and live your life ! You should go out and buy a nice Motorcycle and have FUN!!! This is not a dress rehearsal folks ! You only get one chance to live.... Smile and enjoy it When you number comes up. Do you really think that if you choose to "HIDE UNDER A DESK", tha it will stop it ?
Not sure why you're replying to my post. I didn't say it would stop it. I was in a building that was directly hit by an F4 tornado. Hiding under a desk is about all I could do to keep from getting hit by debris.

Seemed a lot smarter than standing outside to see what a tornado looks like.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,467,482 times
all this tornado talk has my GF worried!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM

957 posts, read 3,701,463 times
Statistically, you're chances of being hit my a tornado are about the same as being hit by lightning.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,633,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Statistically, you're chances of being hit my a tornado are about the same as being hit by lightning.
Unless you live in Nashville.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM

957 posts, read 3,701,463 times
The last one hit near Murfreesboro. With the number of thunderstorms we get, I'd be more worried about lightning.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 PM

97 posts, read 272,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
Fresno California.... In land- NO Qakes- NO Fires - NO Tornadic activiety NO hurricanes.
Perhaps no quakes recently. When I was in Fresno in 1983 and 1984, there was a large construction project at the hospital to repair damage caused by the Coalinga earthquake that killed two and injured 100 just 50 miles away.

I love signs in California. Instead of "Low Bridge", they say "Impaired Vertical Clearance".

Part of the hospital grounds were fenced off to keep the public out of the construction area. The sign on the fence didn't say "Earthquake damage repair", it said "Remediation of seismic activity damage". Anything to use more syllables.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM

940 posts, read 1,903,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingz View Post
Perhaps no quakes recently. When I was in Fresno in 1983 and 1984, there was a large construction project at the hospital to repair damage caused by the Coalinga earthquake that killed two and injured 100 just 50 miles away.
Wow a coincidence to read this. At that time, '83, I was living in Austin, and as Lockheed Missles and Space was setting up operations there, they hired me and flew me to Sunnyvale, CA where I lived for a couple of months. I was sitting at my desk that day at about 5:30, and felt the rocking from that quake, about 3 HZ in frequency. Everyone sitting or standing still felt it and yelled "earthquake", people walking, running or riding didn't feel it. I think Sunnyvale is 200 miles away from the epicenter on that one.

Last edited by groovamos; 09-21-2009 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville