Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,007,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The new urban stores are apparently not the same as what’s in St Louis. Theyre talking about stopping building mega big boxes, so basically no more showroom. If they do build a urban one for Nashville, itll be much smaller than what youd think. Apparently no meatballs either.

Memphis has a better location. They were able fill a giant hole in Deep South with the Memphis store.
I was writing about the location not necessarily the store size. The location in St. Louis is in a growing urban area within walking distance of a major university.

Memphis is a phenomenal location for that type of retail and yes they do fill a need in the midsouth.

It would be nice to see Ikea markets become a stand alone bodega type place to spread the joy of the swedish meatball to everyone throughout the land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 11:01 PM

10,115 posts, read 14,530,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Memphis has a better location. They were able fill a giant hole in Deep South with the Memphis store.
Yeah, I get that, but wouldn't they have been able to fill a giant hole in the mid south if going to Nashville first too?
I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the Nashville market is not only larger than the Memphis market, but the households in Nashville have higher disposable income overall, and more households overall, in general. I'm wondering if they just got a good land deal in Memphis they couldn't pass up, and just went ahead and built it first.

Anyway, I hope Nashville still gets their store. I'm sure IKEA won't just bypass them.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, I get that, but wouldn't they have been able to fill a giant hole in the mid south if going to Nashville first too?
I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the Nashville market is not only larger than the Memphis market, but the households in Nashville have higher disposable income overall, and more households overall, in general. I'm wondering if they just got a good land deal in Memphis they couldn't pass up, and just went ahead and built it first.

Anyway, I hope Nashville still gets their store. I'm sure IKEA won't just bypass them.
I don't think per capita income was their only deciding factor. How many ikea's are within 5 hrs of Memphis? How many are within 5 hrs of Nashville? Look at the demographic of those people and what portion would be likely Ikea shoppers. Memphis lacks retail except Walmart.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:29 AM

13,370 posts, read 40,071,909 times
Quote:

Not only did IKEA find cheap land in Memphis, IKEA chose Memphis because desperate Memphis gleefully gave IKEA millions of dollars.

What It Really Cost to Bring IKEA to Memphis - Memphis magazine

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-26-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not only did IKEA find cheap land in Memphis, IKEA chose Memphis because desperate Memphis gleefully gave IKEA millions of dollars.

Ahh. That sheds some light-thanks. They were clamoring for that store (what city wouldn't)--and almost blew it with the pricing of the land incorrectly.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Cities pay to be cool. Nashville may not be doing this to get ikea but it does pay a lot to be an it city.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't think per capita income was their only deciding factor. How many ikea's are within 5 hrs of Memphis? How many are within 5 hrs of Nashville? Look at the demographic of those people and what portion would be likely Ikea shoppers. Memphis lacks retail except Walmart.
I'm not saying it was the only deciding factor, but it definitely is one of them.

There aren't many IKEA stores in general in the US. So for one to locate in Memphis is big--and before Nashville--even bigger.
For example, there are no IKEAs in Nashville of course, New Orleans, Birmingham, Louisville, Oklahoma City, San Antonio (one is planned there), Raleigh/Durham (one was just scrapped), Rochester, NY, Providence, etc, or in other words, similar-sized Memphis cities.

So Memphis really landed a prize here and that's a great thing.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 05-26-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying it was the only deciding factor, but it definitely is one of them.

There aren't many IKEA stores in general in the US. So for one to locate in Memphis is big--and before Nashville--even bigger.
For example, there are no IKEAs in Nashville of course, New Orleans, Birmingham, Louisville, Oklahoma City, San Antonio (one is planned there), Raleigh/Durham (one was just scrapped), Rochester, NY, Providence, etc, or in other words, similar-sized Memphis cities.

So Memphis really landed a prize here and that's a great thing.
This was a big one. TBH, I live 1.5 miles from an ikea and bought shower curtains and a cheap pot and pans set. The pot and pan set fell apart within a month. I am not as big of a fan as I thought I would be. I see it as a paradise for recreational shoppers and college students with good food options. I personally wouldnt purchase anything else from that store.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:32 PM

9,711 posts, read 9,466,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This was a big one. TBH, I live 1.5 miles from an ikea and bought shower curtains and a cheap pot and pans set. The pot and pan set fell apart within a month. I am not as big of a fan as I thought I would be. I see it as a paradise for recreational shoppers and college students with good food options. I personally wouldnt purchase anything else from that store.
I agree with you. The furniture is low on quality and terribly over priced. It is mostly for modernists or college types. Nashville has plenty of both which is why it will do well here when/if it comes. As to It being a regional draw, I think it will pull at a lot away from the Memphis store and some from the Atlanta and Cincinnati stores. I am still not sure if the state can/will support two stores.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,293,191 times
I like their accessories but hate putting things together so any big ticket item like furniture is a no go with me. And yes, it is cheaply made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville