Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:09 PM

63 posts, read 327,059 times

Advertisements

what's "bible park"? maybe if i knew that, i'd get the joke too (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
There's a group that wants to build a non-denominational Bible-themed park in Murfreesboro's once rural Blackman community. The community is probably overwelhmingly against it, but it looks as though the plans will go through and be approved by the rubber stamp planning commision..

Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Here's some Bible Park background:

The developer seems to have a good track record, the builders are known and respected, and the concept has been successful in other areas on a smaller scale. The State legislature appears to be supportive. Certainly the 'rubber stamps' in the County are supportive.

The developer seems to have reassured many of the neighbors concerned about noise and traffic, and some of the remaining opposition appears to be anti-Christian. I can understand people who'd rather keep the area un / under developed.

Quote:
Sponsors have an option and contract on a farm and other homes on Blackman Road where they hope to develop the 200-acre park with an investment between $150 million and $200 million. They await a bill before the Tennessee Legislature to allow Rutherford County to establish an entertainment zone with tax incremental financing....The park would hire 200 to 300 fulltime employees and 500 to 1,000 seasonal employees, Bar-Tur told area governmental and business leaders in an April meeting. The park expects 800,000 to one million visitors annually.
Bible park developer shares his vision on The Murfreesboro Post

Quote:
A tourism-development zone is a way to establish tax-increment financing, and this means the Rutherford County Commission could negotiate how sales and real estate taxes collected in the proposed theme park can be used to help retire the debt for its development. This could mean paying for roads, sewer, utilities and other needs, Sears said.
Murfreesboro and Rutherford County news from The Daily News Journal - www.dnj.com - Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Quote:
STOP THE BIBLE THEME PARK
Say No to the Proposed Theme Park in Rutherford County | Murfreesboro, TN (broken link)

Mike - I'll have to wander over that way to check out the overwhelmingly-ness of the opposition - the media is a starting point but it's fun to talk to real people... Note that I highly respect your input

Old 01-30-2008, 04:49 PM

IIRC the proposed location is around Manson Pike and 840 (Southwest corner of I24 and 840). Seems like as unobtrusive a place as possible - pretty much flanked by highways on two sides...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM

63 posts, read 327,059 times
i'm having a hard time envisioning "bible park". i'm envisioning my 4 year old getting measured to make sure she's tall enough to go through the parting of the red sea (:

i've been looking on realtor.com at houses in the area and the vast majority are new builds w/o a tree on the property. we're really looking for a lush, green place with tons of trees. is that m'boro or a nearby town?

(:
amy

Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Mike in TN - OK, you are so right. There is a very visible opposition to the Bible Park in that area.

But, IMO, 'something' is going to be built there, the land itself doesn't seem 'special' or critical for preservation, and it could be worse (manufacturing or distribution center - no offense).

Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
But, IMO, 'something' is going to be built there, the land itself doesn't seem 'special' or critical for preservation, and it could be worse (manufacturing or distribution center - no offense).
I really don't have a problem with it. The community up in arms about it is funny to me because they probably wouldn't care, so long as it's not in their backyard.

You're right in that it could be much worse. In fact, it would probably be better for this park to be built than some massive subdivision.

I'm not a business man, but to be honest, I see this a failing venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
IIRC the proposed location is around Manson Pike and 840 (Southwest corner of I24 and 840).
I think you're right.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wainwrights View Post
i've been looking on realtor.com at houses in the area and the vast majority are new builds w/o a tree on the property. we're really looking for a lush, green place with tons of trees. is that m'boro or a nearby town?

(:
amy
I'd take a closer look at Franklin. Murfreesboro is suffering from over-development and lack of infrastructure to support it. You might also look at some of the smaller towns where the explosive growth has not yet occurred.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM

100 posts, read 352,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

I'm not a business man, but to be honest, I see this a failing venture.
When they built Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Georgia alot of the same concerns were raised. It was once farmland in a very quiet community right off the interstate. It has worked out well for that area. It brought in more jobs (even if they were low paying type) for the younger teen set, is family friendly thing to do, and brings in more money to the community.

I drove around in that area of Murfreesboro this week and there were a lot of protest signs up.

I think that the Nashville area does need some type of amusement park. It is sad that a city this size does not have something. Ask people who have lived here a long time and alot of the time they get misty over missing Opryland.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Is this the same company that built/runs a biblical themed park in Orlando? There is hearsay that the park there is failing. Not sure if it's the same company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville