Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 5,193 times

Advertisements

My husband is working with a company in downtown nashville about a possible job opportunity. Currently, I work at home so we would we would be living off his income of around $70,000 annually for the time being.
We have two small kids, one in school so decent school systems and safe neighborhoods are preferable.
We have no family or contacts in Nashville, so relocating would be a huge step for us, but our Midwest Indiana town is completely void of opportunity and a change is needed regardless.
What areas are commutable to/from Nashville that would allow us to provide a safe environment for the kids? We would be looking at about 120k to 150k for a single family home, 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Preferably, I would love for it to be a little secluded, like an acre or so, but that might be out of our price range.
I can't even describe how nervous and excited I am about even the possibility of this prospect.
But I have no idea how to begin. I know I shouldn't worry about these things while the Job prospect is still at this stage of infancy but I like to plan way ahead.
Should we shoot for renting first then finding a home?

Sorry for the wall of text!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,226,937 times
What commute time would be acceptable to you?

There are a few places within Metro Nashville that might work for you, but with your budget you would probably find more of what you're looking for a little further out in one of the adjacent counties, although the commute could be longer.

Nashville schools can be problematic at the upper grades (there are some great schools and some terrible ones), but less so at the lower grades.

If I were moving someplace I wasn't familiar with, I would want to rent first and get to know the area before buying (what if you absolutely hate it here?), but that might be harder for you with the two kids unless you can stand living in a two bedroom apartment for six months (a three bedroom might be out of your budget for now since you will have other expenses related to the move).

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM

We are used to a commute, but I think keeping within an hour's distance would be preferable.
You bring up a good point about renting first.
Do you think there is a decent market availability for houses for rent in the area? I can't imagine going from a decent house to an apartment with the kids.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 PM

If an hour commute is acceptable to you, then you have more options.

I don't keep up with the rental market, but there should be a number of houses for rent in the general area.

I'll throw out one possibility for you, the Pleasant View area northwest of Nashville (my "pretend" daughter lives there). It's a fairly straight shot right in to downtown on I-24. There are any number of other reasonably nice areas within an hour drive.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 PM

Alleycat, thank you so very much! I truly appreciate all of your input.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM

If you do move I hope you enjoy it here. There are a lot of good things about the area, and a few we wish were better, but overall it's a nice place to live.

One suggestion, since your husband may be working downtown, shoot for an estimated commute time of 45 minutes or less. I used to work downtown; sometimes it can take 15 minutes just to get out of downtown and on your way. It can vary from day to day; some days he might be able to get on his way in no time and on other days it will seem like forever just getting out of downtown (all bets are off when there is a weekday Titans game or when the CMA festival is going on).

Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,478,547 times
I second alleycat's recommendation to rent first just to get the feel of the area if it is possible. That said, the standard response for best areas for schools are Williamson, Sumner, and Wilson Counties. Finding 1+ acreage in that price range in a good school district is going to be very difficult, if not impossible. The Pleasant View/Joelton area might be a good fit too, as alleycat said.

If you haven't already, check out www.realtracs.com to search real estate (and some rentals) listings in the area. It's a great resource.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM

3,064 posts, read 3,330,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvmfletch View Post
My husband is working with a company in downtown nashville about a possible job opportunity. Currently, I work at home so we would we would be living off his income of around $70,000 annually for the time being.
We have two small kids, one in school so decent school systems and safe neighborhoods are preferable.
We have no family or contacts in Nashville, so relocating would be a huge step for us, but our Midwest Indiana town is completely void of opportunity and a change is needed regardless.
What areas are commutable to/from Nashville that would allow us to provide a safe environment for the kids? We would be looking at about 120k to 150k for a single family home, 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Preferably, I would love for it to be a little secluded, like an acre or so, but that might be out of our price range.
I can't even describe how nervous and excited I am about even the possibility of this prospect.
But I have no idea how to begin. I know I shouldn't worry about these things while the Job prospect is still at this stage of infancy but I like to plan way ahead.
Should we shoot for renting first then finding a home?

Sorry for the wall of text!
With one car, it may be good to look in Bellevue & cut costs by using the #5 MTA bus to get to work. At $1.70/trip or $3.40/day may be affordable. Weekly/monthly bus cards are available. Good rush hour service + evenings & weekends.

With small kids, schools here are decent until they get into middle & high school. by then you may have income for other (private) choices.

There are a number of apartments with small children that do get picked up by the school bus every day.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Probably pretty tough to find a house close to downtown in the 120-150K range for the size that you want. Maybe Donelson (37214) would be a good option, though.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,747,214 times
check out Inglewood too. 37216
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: