Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 30,102 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently living in NYC (I can't stand it), and looking to possibly relocate to Nashville. I just have some questions, so if anyone wouldn't mind answering them that would be good!

Questions:

What areas of Nashville should I look to move to, if I am looking for an area that is both quiet (no hearing planes, traffic, people, & commotion from inside my place), and public transportation accessable (walking distance to buses)? (I know that almost sounds like a contradiction hehe, l but I am hoping that I can find something along those lines!)

Can I find a decent 1 bedroom apt / studio / house etc., in a safe, quiet and public transportation friendly area for about $500 a month??? If so, what areas should I look in?

What is the public transportation system like (buses) in general? Can someone be completely dependent on it for getting to and from places like the bank, grocery store, work, etc?

Job market: my work experience is clerical / office work, is it tough to find/keep a job in that field there, considering the economy?

What is the Nashville "vibe" like in general? (as in like the atmosphere, what people do, value, what people are like)

What is the Nashville "vibe" like for people around my age (I'm 29). What do people around my age usually do there on the regular?

I'm an aspiring singer & musician (punkish alternative/rock genre); and am interested in possibly playing some open mic nights... however... I know that Nashville is a music "hub" and I'm somewhat intimidated at the idea that most everyone who goes to an open mic may already be a skilled and "seasoned performer". (I'm just starting out, though I have some songs and have been taking some vocal lessons). Just want to make sure I don't make a mis-step... if anyone has been to open mics around the Nashville area, (based on the level of what you've seen), can you please tell me if it would be best to stay away from an open mic night in the area unless I'm singing/playing at a near flawless professional level? .... Does anyone know of any place with open mic nights that I could start at, based on the music genere I sing and my skill level?

Thanks a million for your responses in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:32 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,014,023 times
Hi Sunset,

I saw that you posted the same question on the Sarasota board...it might be more helpful for you to list the cities you're considering and your needs. You're going to get lots of feedback (positive and negative) about all these places, and you'd be surprised how many of us have lived in several of the spots you might be considering. Just a search tactic you might want to consider.

Check out the general info for each state/city.... it will give you lots of information regarding public transportation and relative costs of housing. I'd also recommend starting with a big generic search engine for jobs like careerbuilder just to get an idea of the number of postings in each town that you might qualify for. Then, once you're armed with that information, you can target your questions a bit more directly - like what kind of "vibe" a city has, etc. I know it's not helpful for me to tell you to look at the other threads.... but look at sites like rent.com, etc for general ideas about what you might be able to afford.

When you've narrowed down your search, post with the cities you're considering all in one post, and your requirements. I think it will get you more helpful information.

To get you started... if you are 29 and single, I definitely recommend Nashville over Sarasota. Sarasota is very much a retired town. You won't find a lot of rentals for $500 either. There's a lot more going on in Nashville - even though you say you hate NYC, it would be a huge shock to come to Sarasota. I live in SW Florida and work a bit in Sarasota... time slows here. A lot.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM

Arrow Re:

Hi & thank you for the advice.

I've actually done a lot of internet searches on both places; but now I just want to hear from locals who actually live in each place. I feel it's good to get a first-hand account in addition to the research I've done.

I know what you mean about SW Florida being slow, as I grew up there (but in a county other than Sarasota). I have a relative that lives in Sarasota that I've visited a couple of times, so I've been to that area, however I know that visiting a place can be a very different experience than actually living there on a day to day basis.

Hopefully, I can get some more info for the specific questions I've asked from locals with first hand authentic experiences of each place. This way I can get a clearer sense of a next possible step to take.

Thanks again for your advice!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,072,745 times
Nashville, like most cities, has different vibes depending on what area you're in.

Downtown is a government/finance hub at day and a hybrid of touristy country music stuff and sports and concert crowds by night.

Midtown and west end are more of a buisness and college area. Lots of bars and resturants as well Hillsboro village, a small but really charming (and somewhat "hip") area.

Green Hills is more upscale urban and has a lot of compact but nice and historic neighborhoods. -I would reccomend this area for quitness and access to the bus system. Outside of living downtown or midtown/west end, it would probably give you the least amount of culture shock coming from NYC.

East Nashville is considered the hood with the exception of the woodland st/S 11th st area, also known as five points. Five points area is actually really really nice and walkable with quick access to the bus routes. -this would be a close second for reccomendations to relocate.

Pretty much all of the suburbs (except Murfreesboro which is a college town) have the same vibe. Franklin has more of a suburban buisness and shopping vibe than the others. Stay away from the suburbs if you want halfway usable public transit though.

The Nashville MTA is making steps in the right direction with a new downtown hub, hybrid buses, and a commuter train but don't expect anything like NYC, Chicago, or Boston (even if you took away the subways in those respective systems). Bus coverage is only good downtown and midtown/west end and decent in the imediate neighborhoods (inside the 440 loop). Nashville has only recently started talking about serious public transit with BRT and LRT in the city and surrounding 'burbs.

I don't live in Nashville anymore so I can't attest to the economy there but I know that you shouldn't have nearly as much competetion getting an office job there as in NYC.

Nashville is chock full of musicians and is a really good place for fostering the creative spirit (I write music myself). There is no shortage of venues to get booked at but yes, there is a lot of competition for musicians in Nashville. I heard quite a few indy bands there where I was like "how are these people not signed to a major lable yet?" It's really awesome.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Wow, thanks Adric for all the really great thorough info!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM

160 posts, read 503,501 times
What areas of Nashville should I look to move to, if I am looking for an area that is both quiet (no hearing planes, traffic, people, & commotion from inside my place), and public transportation accessable (walking distance to buses)? (I know that almost sounds like a contradiction hehe, l but I am hoping that I can find something along those lines!)
Unfortunately, if you want frequent bus service in Nashville you're going to have to live in the city (downtown, West End, East Nashville) or along a major artery (Murfreesboro Rd, Lebanon Rd, Nolensville Rd, ect). This will pretty much mean you'll be in a noisier part of town. It won't be loud like a major downtown of say New York or Chicago, but it also won't be quiet all the time. I know one guy who was from a small town and wanted the peace in quiet in Nashville until he realized that the clubs and bars where he could get regular playing time were all in the city. He left his apartment in the south side of Nashville and now happily lives in a germantown apartment.

Can I find a decent 1 bedroom apt / studio / house etc., in a safe, quiet and public transportation friendly area for about $500 a month??? If so, what areas should I look in?
Your best bet might be a sublet from craigslist. I've had friends starting off in the music buisness that have had great luck with this. If you're trying to break into the music buisness, it's best to stay close to the city to have easy access to the majority of places to play. Germantown and East Nashville are your most affordable options, but also the noisiest and seediest-not bad by any means, but it ain't suburbia.

What is the public transportation system like (buses) in general? Can someone be completely dependent on it for getting to and from places like the bank, grocery store, work, etc?
If you live near downtown or inside the I-440 loop it is possible-but it will make it harder to get around if you are trying to break into the music buisness. My buddy in Germantown is doing it, so it can be done.

Job market: my work experience is clerical / office work, is it tough to find/keep a job in that field there, considering the economy? Right now it's tough, but it is everywhere!

What is the Nashville "vibe" like in general? (as in like the atmosphere, what people do, value, what people are like) The city is surprisingly multicultural and liberal. Cross over the Davidson county line in any direction and it is a hot bed for radical Republican conservatism.

What is the Nashville "vibe" like for people around my age (I'm 29). What do people around my age usually do there on the regular? I'm married with kids so I can't help you there!

(I'm just starting out, though I have some songs and have been taking some vocal lessons). Just want to make sure I don't make a mis-step... if anyone has been to open mics around the Nashville area, (based on the level of what you've seen), can you please tell me if it would be best to stay away from an open mic night in the area unless I'm singing/playing at a near flawless professional level? .... Does anyone know of any place with open mic nights that I could start at, based on the music genere I sing and my skill level? Check out the local papers for open mic nights, hit a few and see what they're like. Don't be scared, pretty much everyone started off by building their cred at open mic nights. And I'm sure a lot of them screwed up. If you're afraid of failure, you're not going to make it.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 AM

933 posts, read 2,745,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

...East Nashville is considered the hood with the exception of the woodland st/S 11th st area, also known as five points. Five points area is actually really really nice and walkable with quick access to the bus routes. -this would be a close second for reccomendations to relocate...
Well not sure when your last visit to East Nashville was, but there are plenty of other neighborhoods in East Nashville that are considered safe besides those houses right near Five Points. Eastwood Neighbors is bordered by Gallatin Road to the west, Eastland Ave to the south (butt's up next to Lockeland Springs), Porter Rd to the east, and Douglas Ave to the north. This neighborhood is very similiar to Lockeland Springs (lot's of old victorians, craftsman, and bungalows) as many of the houses have been rehabbed and young professionals/artists/musician live in them. Like Lockeland Springs, the bus runs through Eastwood Neighbors. (I have attorney friends that ride the bus to work everyday). Parts of Inglewood (area closer to the river, mostly Tudor and elaborate ranch style houses) that were never considered the hood and have been pretty nice despite the rush to the suburbs over the decades, thanks to some dedicated homeowners. Also, there are pretty nice neighborhoods in the Rosebank area out past Shelby Park (ranch style houses, not sure about the bus routes in this area). Anyway, I would do a search on here for more pro and cons regarding East Nashville/Inglewood. Stay away from any apartment complexes on the eastside. You might want to look on the East Nashville Google Groups for rentals and also getting a sense of what the neighborhoods are like. Oh yeah, there are ton's of musicians that live over here, to name a few, a couple of the Racontuers, Ben Folds, members of Old Crow Medicine Show, Todd Snider...anyway goodluck wherever you choose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville