Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 AM

166 posts, read 322,352 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for your answers.

My nephew, 29 is thinking on a move to Nashville. Currently living in Pigeon Forge.

He is being told the area has become trendy and progressive...any truth??

Its been 5 years since I spent any time in Nashville.....What i remember is some great suburban neighborhoods.....traffic....and a very touristy downtown bar scene.

I guess he is looking for more of a single, professional and active city.

He is a sales professional...work shouldnt be a problem.

He could live anywhere.......why Nashville??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
Well, it's really up to your nephew to answer "Why Nashville?", not us.

I think Nashville has gotten some really good press lately and seems to be a city on the move. We have the beautiful new Music City Center and the downtown area is very vibrant. Yes, tourists go there but the music scene is authentic. Rental units are going fast, lots of building going on in the burbs. Not sure it's "trendy" but it's a popular place to move. Certainly a bigger city than Pigeon Forge!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 AM

914 posts, read 1,986,900 times
If you mean trendy in a good way, then yes. Sometimes trendy has a negative connotation and I would disagree with that. Generally, Nashville is very well thought of and there is lot of excitement and investment in the city. The region has long been an area of growth, but over the last 5-10 years the city itself has become really hot. The city itself, as opposed to the suburbs for the previous 25 years, are now the hottest areas. Companies have now started returning to core in larger numbers, and the most in-demand areas are now urban neighborhoods. That's not to say the suburbs are dying....they are very much alive and well, but the focus has shifted recently. The mixture of entrepreneurialism and corporate ties (especially healthcare management) with music and the arts seems to provide a wonderful environment for innovation and new ideas. Nashville is now a place that gets cutting edge ideas like Lyft and UberX quickly and before many larger metro areas. It has become a foodie destination with celebrity chefs choosing Nashville as the place to open their businesses and local chefs receiving numerous national accolades for their food. I could go on and on, but in general it is a great place to live.

Last edited by Hey_Hey; 12-23-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 03:41 PM

166 posts, read 322,352 times
why Nashville, i ask?

Thats what i asked him? Couldnt really tell me other than the city is growing. In my mind, not a reason to move to any particular city.

YES...I meant trendy in a positive way!

Nice to see the city on the right path!!

But...for a single 29 year old...Thats not into the arts or country music, I just dont see the draw.

Seems like a great city for a young family to take root.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
That's like saying, "The only reason people would move to Pigeon Forge is because they LOVE Dollywood."

If you have not been to Nashville in the past 5 years, or even the past 3 years, you probably would be surprised at how many young, single people are here.

People don't have to like country music to live here.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
He's 29 years old. He's moving 200 miles away. Good for him!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM

46 posts, read 91,906 times
Omgoodness, there is so much more to Nashville than the arts and country music. This is a great place for a single 29 year old to move. Nashville has the energy of a city that is growing and developing. Unless you've spent time in a city like it it is very hard to explain the hum (no music pun intended;-)). It sounds like your nephew is making a positive move and you'll still be close enough to visit :-)

Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,340,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjames14 View Post
Thanks in advance for your answers.

My nephew, 29 is thinking on a move to Nashville. Currently living in Pigeon Forge.

He is being told the area has become trendy and progressive...any truth??

Its been 5 years since I spent any time in Nashville.....What i remember is some great suburban neighborhoods.....traffic....and a very touristy downtown bar scene.

I guess he is looking for more of a single, professional and active city.

He is a sales professional...work shouldnt be a problem.

He could live anywhere.......why Nashville??
Good choice. He may enjoy working in Green Hills, with some trendy, progressive, upscale retailers.
Dillards Macy Nordstrom Container store Apple store & others appear to be doing fine. Cool springs is the next large retail area. Opry Mills may have recovered from the floods.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,351,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjames14 View Post
why Nashville, i ask?

Thats what i asked him? Couldnt really tell me other than the city is growing. In my mind, not a reason to move to any particular city.

YES...I meant trendy in a positive way!

Nice to see the city on the right path!!

But...for a single 29 year old...Thats not into the arts or country music, I just dont see the draw.

Seems like a great city for a young family to take root.
Well...are you 29? Maybe that's why you don't see the draw.

I'm a 28 year old male. Perhaps I could provide some perspective. Now I am a native, so perhaps I am a little biased, but there is a lot to like here for a young professional, whether single or married.

I wouldn't underestimate the draw of a growing city for a young person. A growing city means and active city, and Nashville is certainly very active. Things are always changing. It's not stagnant. There is a certain excitement that looms with a city where things are always changing.

While Nashville is by no means perfect, or any sort of paradise, it is a city on the rise...and that is something that young people want to be a part of. The urban core is seeing a renaissance like we haven't seen before. Inner city neighborhoods are rapidly changing -- for the better. The suburbs continue to provide a great environment to raise kids. The job market is strong.

Also, not to knock Pigeon Forge here, but the difference between Nashville and Pigeon Forge can be measured in light years. Pigeon Forge is a tourist trap if there has ever been one. It's a great place to take the kids. It's not a great place for those old enough to drive, but don't have kids themselves. Nashville has much, much, much more to do for someone in their 20s-30s. Aside from the Country scene (which is mainly visited by tourists), there are active music scenes of many other genres, there are college and pro sports, lots of restaurants and bars, and plenty of recreation activities and groups for young people. And Nashville provides all of this with a relatively low cost of living compared to most major cities.

So my question would be...why not Nashville? Has your nephew lived in a large city before? Nashville may not be his final stop. He might be wanting to get his feet wet before he explores elsewhere. Nashville would be a good starting point for any young professional in the region who hasn't lived in a large city previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville