Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,543 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm just testing the waters and posting for advice on finding cheap apartments or rooms for rent in East Nashville. Please don't flag me . I'm an actor and creative type who works two jobs. I want to be there because I'm still young at 26 and I really want to be part of the scene so I can meet interesting people and be inspired. I really don't care about crime, although I'm not looking for trouble. It's been so hard finding any available rooming, which is why I'm posting on here. If anybody can directly or indirectly lead me to a good roommate situation where the financial burden is shared and lessened, please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
Hey MichaelSpartan,

I would join East Nashville Google Groups and post on there. You would probably have better luck. I would also advise to stay away from the larger complexes in East Nashville, they can still be pretty rough. You might want to check out Howe Garden Apts in Eastwood Neighbors though. Rumor has it they have a new owner and there seems to be a lot of younger professional and artistic types moving in there (check it out first though). Good location too and probably still relatively cheap. Also, East Nashville is a pretty large area with a lot of different neighborhoods. Some really nice and very low crime and others more up and coming and transitional. Some are really close to amentities and very walkable, others not as much. I would do some research on here, other websites and definitly check out the area in person first to see what you think . If you find a place, ask on East Nashville Google Groups what people think of the area. Good luck on your move.

Last edited by yank283; 05-22-2013 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 AM

49 posts, read 86,017 times
You're going to care about crime if you become a victim of it, be careful. Apartments complexes in East Nashville are still pretty dicey.

I personally would recommend finding roommates and renting a small 2/3 bedroom house in the Rosebank neighborhood. I believe costs are cheaper, it's safer, and obviously within close proximity of the artsy, trendy neighborhoods of East Nashville.

Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,967 times
I lived in the best house on the worst block in east nash (on the wrong side of gallatin pike, 5th street) it was close to all major interstates which was a plus. With all new appliances and floors, jetted shower, and an alarm system I didn't care how dicey the area seemed. I made friends with some of my near-by neighbors too in hopes we could look out for each other. None of these out weighed the 2 drive-by shootings (on my street and in my back alley) and several break-ins in the area within 6 months. It all seems like people are misjudging the area until something like that happens. If you can handle this you can find some pretty sweet digs on the cheap and plenty of other artists willing to split the cost of living. Just be sure not to underestimate the area's reputation.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triamelie View Post
I lived in the best house on the worst block in east nash (on the wrong side of gallatin pike, 5th street) it was close to all major interstates which was a plus. With all new appliances and floors, jetted shower, and an alarm system I didn't care how dicey the area seemed. I made friends with some of my near-by neighbors too in hopes we could look out for each other. None of these out weighed the 2 drive-by shootings (on my street and in my back alley) and several break-ins in the area within 6 months. It all seems like people are misjudging the area until something like that happens. If you can handle this you can find some pretty sweet digs on the cheap and plenty of other artists willing to split the cost of living. Just be sure not to underestimate the area's reputation.
Yep, good advice. I could have told you that you were in for some quality of life issues at that location. I probably wouldn't recommend renting there (unless you got big break on rent and could handle it) but if you were buying, wanting to do some urban pioneering, and willing to stay for a bit, I would say all in.... It's funny, when I moved to East Nashville 7 years ago, the same thing could be said for the area around West Eastland and McFerrin, now that area has been blowing up and is becoming a really nice area. I also remember moving my friend into a house on Benjamin Street (Eastwood Neighbors) about 10 years ago and when I looked at the neighbors and the surroundings, I questioned her sanity. That was when everything directly north of Eastland Ave was pretty rough. Now it's it's one of the best neighborhoods around.

The thing that gets most of us eastsiders is how everyone lumps East Nashville into one big neighborhood. It doesn't happen anywhere else in Nashville to the extent it does in East Nashville. If a driveby happens in Cayce or on...5th Street (sorry triamelie), it might as well happened in the middle of Lockeland Springs to a lot of people. When I was living in Sylvan Park, it's reputation and image was pretty protected from any sullying from the massive drug dealing and crime going on in The Nations (directly across Charlotte Pike) and Sylvan Heights (directly accross a railroad track and a hill) at the time and there was plenty of crime in Sylvan Park going on as well....What's the difference?

East Nashville has historically been Nashville's dumping ground for societal ills probably for the last 70+ years...70+ years folks...were not on a level playing field here...It's astounding what has happened (especially the last 15 years) to make it one of the best and unique places to live in Nashville (I think, the best) and we've only just gotten started over here...It's not like moving to the suburbs (which are fine communities)...you can't ho hum your way in...you need to be passionate...

Last edited by yank283; 05-22-2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys. As it stands, I'm still looking for lodging, but had a close call with a decent roommate situation. I guess I'll keep trying harder. Howe Gardens is booked solid, so I was thinking about the Place at Five Points. It's not an ideal situation at all, what with rent and the reputation of the place. Are there any other complexes to look into? It sucks not knowing anybody.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Hey if it's the apartment complex off Litton Ave I would avoid. They recently changed their name to cash in on the popularity of Five Points and the place is not near Five Points. The place, like most large complexes has a sketchy past. It might be a little better now but there is no where to go but up. Glad you want to live on the eastside, but you want to have a good experience. Maybe rent somewhere like Donelson for a little bit while you get to know the city and meet possible future roommates? Just a thought...

Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM

49 posts, read 86,017 times
Agreed with yank.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Totally agree, don't go to the Place at 5 Points. It's not close to 5 points at all.

Horrible reputation.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Check. I found a house off (gasp!) Douglas Ave, the bad end. It's a short-term lease replacement but location-wise it's what I'm looking for. I have to cross Lishcey (sp.?) but other than that the crime report wasn't dreadful on nearby streets. I appreciate the advice. I've been in and out of Nashville for 3 years, so I have a little knowledge, am naturally on-guard, and pretty sick of living in the parts with small town vibes, nothing too personal against them. I'm happy with the price and the roommates so if nothing better surfaces I'll probably move in next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville