Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,480 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband just git a job offer in Nashville and we are relocating our family of four (2 young kids under 5) from the great Brooklyn NY. I am looking for info on where to live that still fills urban and hip, but family friendly, with great nursery schools and great elementary (public or private). We are used to a hectic active creative lifestyle with lots of friends and outdoor activity and would hate to lose that - please help me with advice - very anxious about all this.....

Thanks,

Keren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,251 times
Do you have a price range in mind yet? Are you coming down to explore the area before your move? Based on your post, I think Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village, East Nashville (which includes a number of distinct neighborhoods like Edgefield, Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors, East End, Inglewood, etc.), Germantown/Salemtown, and 12South are all worth checking out. You may like some others like Cherokee Park or Richland as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Budget is a big, big consideration.

There aren't going to be any areas of Nashville that resemble Brooklyn-like urbanity and density, but there are a few urban enclaves worth looking at. And in general, the urban areas of Nashville are more centered around singles and young professionals than families, although there are some family friendly areas. I would check out the west and southwest sides of town first, and see if that is to your liking. Primarily the Vanderbilt area (West End, Hillsboro Village), Hillsboro West End, Belmont, 12th South.

Sylvan Park, Germantown, and East Nashville (specifically around Lockeland Springs and Eastwood) might also work.

The Gulch is a new urban neighborhood that is rising out of the brownfields, but it strikes me as very much a younger crowd without a lot of kids.

Most of the in town neighborhoods that are "urban" are a mix of historic single family homes with apartments mixed in. Some areas are in varying stages of gentrification.

There are a number of good sized parks that help you fulfill your outdoor activities, most notably Shelby Park (East Nashville) and Centennial Park (West End) as well as a number of smaller parks.

Aside from budget, some things to consider will be that you will likely need a car to travel to most places around town. Public transportation is OK close to town, but I wouldn't recommend it for activities like shopping. It *might* work OK to try it with Green Hills.

I'll defer the schools question to someone else, but my initial thought is that at the elementary level, most people don't have a big issue with Nashville's public schools. Beyond that, depending on where you are, you might want to look into a private school. On top of that, most private schools have a religious affiliation. Some don't. Depending on your preference, this might factor in.

All in all, you're going to have to make some compromises when it comes to leaving urban Brooklyn to coming to urban Nashville. They are simply worlds apart in that category.

An important question would be where your husband's job will be located. Is he working close to the city, or out in the suburbs (we get a lot of people that want to live in an urban environment, yet their jobs take them to the suburbs, which can sometimes make things difficult).

Depending on the sort of creative lifestyle you are looking for, arguably East Nashville would be considered the center of the artsy/creative community. There are certainly other options, but I think the biggest concentration can be found there.

If you don't mind, Keren, please tell us a few more specifics about you and your family so we try to point you in the right direction. If you don't feel comfortable answering all the questions, that's OK. Just omit them. I'm not trying to pry, but answering some of these questions will help us determine what might be suitable (or unsuitable) locations for you.

-Budget (and more specifically, house or apartment/condo? Rent or own?)

-Do you own a car? What about two cars? (If your husband has to drive to work, and you don't have a car yourself, you might find it difficult to get around town)

-What is more important -- access to shopping or access to a large public park?

-Do you primarily shop at chains or name brand locations, or do you prefer local businesses?

-Would it bother you if your children go to a school with religious affiliation?

-How important is it that your neighborhood is ethnically or racially diverse?

-While no area is perfectly "safe," what level of safety do you and your family need to be comfortable?

Answering these questions will help. Also feel free to add any more questions you have for us. We can also help dig up some helpful links, data, and maps to share with you to help you make your decision.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Do you have a price range in mind yet? Are you coming down to explore the area before your move? Based on your post, I think Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village, East Nashville (which includes a number of distinct neighborhoods like Edgefield, Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors, East End, Inglewood, etc.), Germantown/Salemtown, and 12South are all worth checking out. You may like some others like Cherokee Park or Richland as well.
Darn you! It took me a while longer to type out my post...but you and I pretty much have the same neighborhoods in mind.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM

372 posts, read 593,167 times
If you can afford private, and are interested in non-sectarian education, I'd find a k-8 like Abintra Montessori or a k-12 like the University School of Nasvhille. Otherwise, there is a mecca of private schools to choose from. There is so much here for families and to keep you active and busy. Many families rely on their church for their social life, but that wasn't an option for us. Coming from the Bay Area, CA, then Cleveland, OH...Nasvhille was a bit of a shock, but given time, a nice little life can be built for your family down here.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
From what I understand you will have the same issues with schools in Nashville as you would in Brooklyn. Nashville metro schools have similar issues and the mixed type of environments as with NYC DOE schools. Both have magnet schools with similar entrance/admittance issues. Parents in both cities often opt for private schools as an alternative, some secular, some nonsectarian, for the same old reasons.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skowp View Post
You might want to take a look at Brentwood. That is Williamson County school system and they are the best in the State. This community is very kid/family oriented.
Quote:
I am looking for info on where to live that still fills urban and hip, but family friendly
Re: bold

Two words that have never been used to describe Brentwood.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 AM

372 posts, read 593,167 times
^^^^ lol! I agree. Brentwood is neither urban nor hip.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Darn you! It took me a while longer to type out my post...but you and I pretty much have the same neighborhoods in mind.
Ha! Yours was way more informative than mine. I love your posts!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,774 times
You should check out some East Nashville neighborhoods including Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors and Inglewood. They all have very active Mom's Clubs with a lot of young families. There are a lot of Northeast transplants that live in East Nashville. In fact a couple of our friends graduated from NYU and another Mom (that my wife went to a club brunch this morning to) and her husband moved here from Brooklyn. There are a bunch of cool restaurants and shops around the neighborhoods and it seems like more pop up everyday. I would do a search on here for the pro's and cons of
East Nashville. When I have a little more time I will post something with a more detail about East Nashville. Granted it's not without it's faults, but it is probably one of the most misunderstood areas in Nashville (although there are some fine posters on this site that "get it"). Especially, strangely enough, by locals who have lived here most of their life. Oh yeah, nothing against the poster who mentioned Brentwood, but given your criteria, I would avoid it like the plague unless good schools are your only and top priority. It's a really nice suburb with great schools, almost zero crime, McMansions, plethra of chain restaurants and stores, and an overwhelmingly base of very conservative residents (not saying this is bad, just giving the facts). Anyway good luck on the move wherever you choose.

Last edited by yank283; 11-14-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville