Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 30,651 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I've been reading and reading and I feel the more I read, the more options I come across and confusion I feel!!

My husband and I are ready for a change. We are currently living in a suburb of Houston and we are looking for somewhere new. We stopped in Brentwood on a trip last year and we both thought it was absolutly beautiful! Hence us being drawn to Nashville.

Here is a bit about us... maybe this will help??

I'm 27, a high end photographer and stay at home mom, prepared to have to start my business over from scratch.

Husband is 32, an accountant about to finish his MBA.

We have three children (6, 3, 1) and another on the way. We pretty mainstream except when it comes to food and religion. (clean eating and non church going)

Schools are our number one priority. Followed closely by living in a safe area. We want to find some place that has a great sense of community, you know, where people come out to football games, have festivals etc. I don't want to live in just another sprawling city like we have here in Houston.

Our budget is around $215,000 and we need 4 bedrooms.

It looks like Williamson Co is the place to be for schools, but I'm not sure if we can find what we need there in our budget.

Please help!! I feel like I'm drowning in options!

Last edited by Nena2007; 02-16-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
Can you up your budget slightly? Have you looked in Spring Hill or Nolensville portions of Williamson County?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,398 times
I think Franklin sounds like what you're looking for as it definitely has more character and charm than typical suburban areas. If you're open to older homes you can find something there in your price range but you'll have limited options.

I find Spring Hill to be pretty bland suburbia and its a long commute to Nashville. Mount Juliet and Hendersonville are two other popular suburban options for Nashville and more budget friendly. The schools are good but Williamson is tops in the area.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
There are a couple houses in Fieldstone Farms which is pretty kid friendly that sort of have 4 bedrooms and are $219,000. I DM'd you a link. Franklin has a Farmers Market, and there is a much bigger one in downtown Nashville. AND non-church people are everywhere and I find that the friendliness of church going folks makes the whole area a better place to live. I think you'll find the area a nice change from Houston! Although our summers can get hot and sticky . . .

Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM

The problem is is that at least for a little while, I will be down to zero as far as income. I don't want to count on what I make now since I will have to rebuild my business in the area we move to. Make sense? I do not want to be house poor, with four kids, that sounds like disaster

This is also based on my husband's current income, once he finishes grad school we may have a bit more flexibility.

I haven't looked into those two areas, I will do that Thanks!!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
There are a couple houses in Fieldstone Farms which is pretty kid friendly that sort of have 4 bedrooms and are $219,000. I DM'd you a link. Franklin has a Farmers Market, and there is a much bigger one in downtown Nashville. AND non-church people are everywhere and I find that the friendliness of church going folks makes the whole area a better place to live. I think you'll find the area a nice change from Houston! Although our summers can get hot and sticky . . .
Thanks Country girl, I will check that out!

And have you been to Houston? LOL I think we went almost two months with temps over 100 this past summer with intensely high humidity I think we will be ok

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Yeah, you'll be used to the summers here, in fact they may be a slight break from what you're used to.

You've received lots of good suggestions so far...I'll second what vivelafrance suggested about looking at Hendersonville or Mt Juliet. You'll likely be able to find homes closer to your price range there and the schools are very good, but not quite with the same reputation as Williamson County.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
I have visited TX but never lived there. My sister has though. Opening the door to a WALL of heat & humidity was rough. And you never see anyone out walking or biking. It's like a ghost town in the summer. It's not THAT bad here and sometimes it's just a month. The first August I was here was bad, the 2nd we just had 90 degrees for about 3 months. And we've only had one snowfall this year that stuck but it was fun!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
You've received lots of good suggestions so far...I'll second what vivelafrance suggested about looking at Hendersonville or Mt Juliet. You'll likely be able to find homes closer to your price range there and the schools are very good, but not quite with the same reputation as Williamson County.
Right. The Brentwood/Franklin schools do cast a halo over the county as a whole. But (directed at the OP) if your housing budget seems to be steering you to Spring Hill or Nolensville, I think you'll find you're not really losing anything schools-wise by also looking in Hendersonville or Mt. Juliet, and you might get more house for the money while you're at it. That's not to say Williamson won't ultimately be the right choice for you, mind you. But if you look around a bit, you'll be surprised how many nice areas you could get into for $215k.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM

328 posts, read 568,691 times
"Although our summers can get hot and sticky . . . "
haha..Yes, you just described Texas
I have done a ton of research as well...currently in Texas, but agree that Franklin seems to be a big winner in recommendations for family friendly living with high quality schools..It is my first choice if I ever move out that way~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville