Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,095,911 times

Advertisements

Nena . . Keep in mind that a lot of the Nashville homes have HOAs . . . homeowner organizations. With some restrictions and some fees attached. It's hard to find a stand alone unaffiliated house in Franklin. Not sure about Spring Hill, Hendersonville . . . Ours run about $70 a month. Pays for upkeep of common areas (walking trails, parks, landscaping) and the pools. Some areas of Fieldstone are higher and some are lower. But whatEVER house you look at be sure to ask. Utilities are cheaper here than in CT. Not sure about coming from TX if they will increase or decrease for you? Seems like a good time to move, with your kids being so young. AND Nashville is up and coming. I think . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
That budget really is too low for Nolensville as well.

Your best bet for a single family home w/ 4 bedrooms will be Spring Hill; I just hate to send you there.

It is not ideal with the number of kids you have, but you could get a condo in your budget in Williamson County. The number of bedrooms is difficult, so you would end up trading what would be bonus space for that 4th bedroom.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 PM

After I graduated from college I went to visit a fellow student who lived on a farm in Minnesota (this was the late 70's). The family lived in a farmhouse with fields of corn, pigs, a silo, etc. The house had 3 bedrooms. One for the parents, 2 for the kids. Two girls in one bedroom and FOUR BOYS in the other. Two sets of bunkbeds! And ONE BATHROOM in the whole house. And he turned out fine. Has a million dollar house in FL now. So as much as we are geared to each kid having their own room, I think the Real Estate mantra is "Location, location, location" rather than "Bedrooms, bedrooms, bedrooms!" I'm just sayin' . . . .

I would double up on the bedrooms and make the bonus room a kids playroom. You can always turn it back into a bedroom if an older child needs their 'space'.

I read that HighClare Castle, the castle used in the hugely popular "Downton Abbey" on PBS has 50 BEDROOMS!!!! Can you imagine? Who needs 50 bedrooms? I bet some Motel 6's don't even have that many!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM

63 posts, read 170,801 times
At some point the size of a residence is bigger than a family's ability to maintain it and keep it clean!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,734,486 times
One thing to keep in mind is that property taxes are much, much less here than in TX. Not sure if you are figuring that into your budget, but it may give you some wiggle room.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM

86 posts, read 210,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
The house had 3 bedrooms. One for the parents, 2 for the kids. Two girls in one bedroom and FOUR BOYS in the other. Two sets of bunkbeds! And ONE BATHROOM in the whole house.
That's funny, this setup is exactly how I grew up. My three brothers and I in one room, my two sisters in another, my parents in theirs, and one bathroom for all of us. The house is mostly empty now, with all but one of us in college/on our own.
Right now I live in the north part of Nashville, in one of the better areas in western Madison. It's a great place to live, but the school system is not a concern for us, and it is zoned as part of Davidson county. I can definitely vouch for Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet, as I know people who live there and love it. Also keep in mind the Sumner County side of Goodlettsville. There are some beautiful places in there too that would be within your budget.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Our little 1550 sq ft Franklin house (4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms and a bonus or 2 bedrooms a guest room and playroom) is $1350 in property taxes. Are they high in TX???

Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM

940 posts, read 1,903,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that property taxes are much, much less here than in TX. Not sure if you are figuring that into your budget, but it may give you some wiggle room.
Not sure about this. Would it be fair to say that sales taxes are "much much" less here than in TN, rate-wise and none on food? Or that state income taxes are "much much" less here than in TN? TX does not tax investment income like TN, so in reality zero really IS "much much" less. And wealthy Californians are choosing to move to TX in greater numbers (per capita) than TN maybe for this reason among others.

You guys have to realize because of TennCare generosity, and resultant TennCare fraud (200,000 out-of-staters helping themselves to your tax revenue*) your taxes are higher than in TX. We somewhat reduce the difference by medically treating and incarcerating more illegals than you do up there, per capita.

*last time I saw a story on this, when Bredesen was in office.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,882,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Our little 1550 sq ft Franklin house (4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms and a bonus or 2 bedrooms a guest room and playroom) is $1350 in property taxes. Are they high in TX???
Uhm... yeah, property taxes are high! Play around on Realtor.com and look at the property taxes stated for your house "equivalent"; you're in for a shock. Depending on where in Texas, figure on spending 5K at the very least. My friend moved to Austin and wanted me to check out the area... I was fine with the idea of moving to Texas until I saw the property taxes. My heart just sunk through the floor because here in Seattle DH and I thought property taxes were too high. One Texan said the high property taxes are deterrent to home ownership.

Property taxes in TN is extremely low/affordable in comparison.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 02-20-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Oh, you're right! Over 3X what they are here . . . ! Some cool looking houses though. Austin is very spread out isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville