Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM

133 posts, read 230,816 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Nashville when my current lease ends in December. I would make the move in late November or eary December. I currently work as a healthcare finance consultant. I travel quite a bit but also work from home a few weeks out of the month as well. I currently live in Farmington Hills, Michigan which is 20 min from downtown Detroit. I have been here since last Dec. I was born and raised in Ohio. I am looking to move because I don't like the cold and want to live in a city with more excitment.

A few reasons why I am interested in Nashville, is because of the the entertainment seem for a someone like myself (Mid 20s. young professional) and Nashville has a lot of opportunity for someone with an MBA in Healthcare Administration. I do not like the travel my job involves and would look for a job in the area.

My questions are what areas should I look into for apartments?

What are the average costs for a 1-2 bedroom apartments in a safe walkable area?

Any tips on looking for healthcare administration jobs?

My salary is in the upper $50s- low $60s range.

Any other tips would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,432,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post

What are the average costs for a 1-2 bedroom apartments in a safe walkable area?

Nashville is a bit on the underbuilt side when it comes to multifamily housing in the city...but there has been a lot of construction in the past 10 years, and there continues to be today (probably at least a dozen small to large scale apartment or condo developments are under construction right now).

Safety is relative to what you are used to...and even in good areas there can be a crime element (property crime, theft, burglaries, etc.). If you are used to living in an urban environment, though, most of that shouldn't be too alarming.

If you are looking for apartment rentals in walkable locations, I would check out Midtown, West End, The Gulch, and Germantown. There are some apartments in East Nashville that may be worth a look, but from my perspective, a lot of the desirable areas that are safe are primarily made up of single family houses -- Victorian, bungalows, foursquares, Queen Annes, Tudors, etc. -- historic houses.

Downtown is relatively safe, so I wouldn't rule it out either. Church Street is the hub of downtown's residential activity. SoBro and Rutledge Hill/Rolling Mill Hill is a work in progress as a urban living center.

There are a number of apartments/lofts either proposed or being built around the 12th South and Belmont areas as well...

Hillsboro Village and the Vanderbilt area have a ton of apartments -- and it's walkable -- but you might find it to be a little too much of the college vibe. Still, not a bad place for a young professional.

Most of the rental units that are newer are going to run in the $900 to around $2,000 range for 1-2 bedrooms, depending on how nice they are. I would typically avoid the bargain places that are in the $600-700 range, because they're likely either older, ratholes, or in questionable areas.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,144,700 times
There are SO many posts about apartments on this board . . with no thread open, look at the upper right hand corner along the bar for the words SEARCH THIS FORUM. They type in apartments . . . and read away! It sort of depends on where you find work unless you don't care about the commute?

Very few walkable areas in Nashville . . . unless you want to walk along very busy streets or pay gobs of money. I think low end for a nice place would be $800 which $1000 being average. Can go cheaper but in not so great parts of town.

Healthcare is big business here. Best to use Google as this isn't really a job board.

In the 90's for a while now. Soon you will realize you miss the cold! (just kidding) Honestly, look up all the threads on apartments and read them and THEN come back and let the boardies fine tune your search.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM

813 posts, read 2,044,657 times
Quote:
I am considering a move to Nashville when my current lease ends in December. I would make the move in late November or eary December. I currently work as a healthcare finance consultant. I travel quite a bit but also work from home a few weeks out of the month as well. I currently live in Farmington Hills, Michigan which is 20 min from downtown Detroit. I have been here since last Dec. I was born and raised in Ohio. I am looking to move because I don't like the cold and want to live in a city with more excitment.

A few reasons why I am interested in Nashville, is because of the the entertainment seem for a someone like myself (Mid 20s. young professional) and Nashville has a lot of opportunity for someone with an MBA in Healthcare Administration. I do not like the travel my job involves and would look for a job in the area.

Are you looking for something similar to Royal Oak or Ferndale? If so, comparable areas in Nashville will be much closer to the heart of the city than in metro Detroit. Prices will be similar to the popular metro Detroit neighborhoods if not a little more. Walkable neighborhoods close to entertainment are limited and prized here. You will probably want to be within or immediately around I-440 and Briley Parkway here in Nashville to get that sort of vibe. This is going to seem like a relatively small walkable area to you coming from Detroit, but there are plenty of distinct areas to choose from. The popular ones are Midtown/West End, Hillsboro Village, the Gulch, 12South, Melrose, East Nashville (5 Points/East End, Historic Edgefield, Eastwood, Lockeland Springs, etc.), Germantown/Salemtown, and Sylvan Park/Sylvan Heights. You should turn up a lot of info on these areas with a search.

For health care admin jobs, I would check with Vanderbilt, HCA and St. Thomas/Baptist which are all located in Nashville with multiple hospitals in the metro. Community Health Systems is based in Franklin, but their facilities are primarily in smaller communities outside the Nashville metro. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by ariesjow; 06-23-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 AM

What web sites would you suggest to look for apartments?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 AM

16,185 posts, read 32,706,944 times
Quote:

Healthcare jobs? Atlanta is a better choice. You are going to be disappointed with salaries in Nashville. You will probably not be able to find your salary here, at least at first. I do wish you the best and hope you find the dream job.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 AM

813 posts, read 2,044,657 times
For the larger apartment complexes, you can google "Nashville apartments" and get sites like the Apartment Guide and Apartments.com. These apartment complexes are all over the place around the metro, but mostly in areas with a more suburban feel like Hermitage, Bellevue, Antioch, Nipper's Corner/South Nashville, Madison and Hendersonville.

There are some complexes in the more urban neighborhoods I mentioned in my earlier post, but those will generally be smaller and more expensive. With this in mind, you may want to check out Craigslist (watch for scammers) and google Nashville property management companies to find smaller apartment buildings, townhomes and single-family homes. If you're comfortable with a budget around $1,000/mo, then you should be able to find something in or around one of the popular neighborhoods. Just keep in mind that apartment hunting in Nashville has become a more competitive process in recent years.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,144,700 times
Realtracs.com has a rental option but it depends on your price range. I really like Padmapper.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

But it's a big area . . have you narrowed down where you want to live? I mean downtown, in the burbs . . honestly, the walkability scores around here are pretty low.

Franklin/Cool Springs has a lot of amenities. The Y's, restaurants, shopping, relatively safe. But really, look at APARTMENTS in the search . . a half an hour there will give you a lot of really helpful info. This question "Where should I live" gets asked at least once a week. Do a little research and then fine tune your questions and we'd be more able to help.

You DO realize we are a bunch of strangers, right? Some of us more strange than others . . .
:coo l:

(just kidding!)

Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM

East Nashville looks interesting to me. I have heard East Nashville use to be considered the bad part of Nashville. Is that still true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville