Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Opry Mills turn into another Hickory Hollow?
Opry Mills won't become the next Hickory Hollow 23 82.14%
Opry Mills will become the next Hickory Hollow 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times

Advertisements

Opry Mills | Simon Malls

Looking forward to it opening again. A lot of nice stores have signed on already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times
It felt like I was walking through the set of a gangta-rap video the last time it was fully open. All the sagging, etc. Do you think it was turn into another "Hickory Hollow" at some point?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM

150 posts, read 619,933 times
Default umm...no

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
It felt like I was walking through the set of a gangta-rap video the last time it was fully open. All the sagging, etc. Do you think it was turn into another "Hickory Hollow" at some point?
My family regularly went here for years and I never saw anything remotely resembling a gangsta rap video. It was usually hordes of families like ours with small kids / strollers wandering around. I didn't get there much at night, but on the rare occasions I did, we never had any trouble or saw anything questionable.

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think so.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM

58 posts, read 202,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
I always enjoyed going to Opry Mills, but yes, it definitely turned ghetto around night time, especially around the theater on a Saturday night. I don't feel like it used to be this way, but it started around the time of Hickory Hollow's decline.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I also heard that it was becoming a little rough when the sun went down...probably more like Rivergate than Hickory Hollow, though. I think that image culminated in the news that the young woman who killed Steve McNair and herself purchased the gun in the parking lot outside Dave & Busters. Obviously, that could have happened anywhere in town, but I remember hearing people talk about how ghetto Opry Mills was and pointing a finger at that incident as proof.

Still, I suspect that when they reopen that will be something they will address very early on and will use the flood as way to reboot their image a little bit. Or at the very least, keep a tighter rein on thuggy activity. I never felt unsafe there, but I was never there at night. Malls have always attracted young people in the evenings...I don't see that changing.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
I feel that if any of you who are not intouch with the younger generation, not familiar with the various styles, etc, the so called "ganstas, thugs, rappers, ghetto people, etc." should just not come to the mall at night if you feel your life is in danger...There are many of other malls and theaters you can go to and feel more at home and safe..." Teens hanging out there has nothing to do with the decline of Hickory Hollow... Opry Mills is pretty much centrally located so it is easy to get to from most parts of town. Hickory Hollow only had those crowds because the store Phat Kap, who has since moved out of the mall, would actually hold rap concerts in the mall's center court and often times have titans players signing autographs. That attracted teens from all over Nashville the short time they were open, however the store never controlled the crowd, nor took responsibility for anything that happen during their events. But again, teens just having out at Opry Mills simply because of the centralized location, and were going while Hickory Hollow was still in its prime...So therefore nothing can be blamed on Hickory Hollow or Rivergate at that matter, other than the central location.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I feel that if any of you who are not intouch with the younger generation, not familiar with the various styles, etc, the so called "ganstas, thugs, rappers, ghetto people, etc." should just not come to the mall at night if you feel your life is in danger...There are many of other malls and theaters you can go to and feel more at home and safe..."
I think you hit the nail on the head...people that feel unsafe or uncomfortable aren't going to shop there. So if you're a mall operator, you're going to want to discourage activity that causes people to stay away from your mall at certain parts of the day. It's only good business. It may not be popular for young people, but I imagine a mall operator trying to create a regional shopping destination would rather alienate local youths than adults with families driving in from outside the immediate Donelson/Hermitage/Madison area.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they really try to make the "new" Opry Mills appear safer...more guards...less loitering, etc. I don't know how (or if) they'll do that exactly, but my point is this is a new start for them and since they'd earned a reputation as a mall on the decline, if I were mall management I'd want to make sure that the mall didn't "re-earn" that reputation again. Not that the old mall was really "unsafe" in reality, but it is a case of perception being more important than reality.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 AM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times
I doubt the retailers moving into the new Opry Mills want to hear "let the adults with the money stay away so the gangsta wannabes can hang out every night." That has to be the exact opposite of what they want. If they want to stay in business that is...and for the shopping center to not die a slow death like Hickory Hollow.

Last edited by JMT; 01-24-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comments

Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
Honestly, I've missed Opry Mills less than I thought I would mainly because the mall doesn't contain very many stores unique to the area. I'd like to see Simon take this as an opportunity to bring more new stores to the mix that would fit the demographics of such as a H&M or a Puma store. They seem to have deeper pockets and do a better job with their malls than CBL. I'd like to see them do a little bit more with Opry Mills.

The only Opry Mills store I am really excited about reopening is the Saks outlet. I've been waiting for it to reopen so I can buy new jeans for months now. You can't beat Sevens and True Religions for 70% off. I refuse to pay full price at Green Hills when I can get last season's for significantly less and even the most ardent fashion snob can't really tell the difference.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM

58 posts, read 202,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Honestly, I've missed Opry Mills less than I thought I would mainly because the mall doesn't contain very many stores unique to the area. I'd like to see Simon take this as an opportunity to bring more new stores to the mix that would fit the demographics of such as a H&M or a Puma store. They seem to have deeper pockets and do a better job with their malls than CBL. I'd like to see them do a little bit more with Opry Mills.

The only Opry Mills store I am really excited about reopening is the Saks outlet. I've been waiting for it to reopen so I can buy new jeans for months now. You can't beat Sevens and True Religions for 70% off. I refuse to pay full price at Green Hills when I can get last season's for significantly less and even the most ardent fashion snob can't really tell the difference.
I completely agree about Saks. I have purchased most of my business clothes/shoes from them and still wear them to this day. My wife recently told me a needed new dress shoes, but I told her I was patiently waiting for Saks to reopen. Can't beat their prices when you combine their clearance with coupons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville