Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 PM

16 posts, read 40,860 times

Advertisements

This topic may have been brought up before, but I just wanted to say:

Now that it's been over a decade since the closing of our Opryland Theme Park, and the opening of "Opry Mills gigantic Mall", I wonder if our chamber of commerce is happy?

I wonder if they are making what they had hoped, and if it was worth it? I know I don't shop there unless I have some distant relative visiting and I need some place to take them that they haven't already seen. I don't spend money there, except to get a Cinnabon. They have nothing that Cool Springs and Green Hills doesn't offer a better quality version of. Unless you want to try out a "Snuggie" without ordering it on TV....*rollseyes*

There is a certain walkway from the mall parking lot to the hotel where you can see part of the Old Grizzly River Rampage......it feels like I'm walking through a graveyard of my memories. So sad.

So many wonderful summer spent there, I would give up TWO malls to get it back. PLEASE Nashville, correct this mistake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 18,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala27poodles View Post
This topic may have been brought up before, but I just wanted to say:

Now that it's been over a decade since the closing of our Opryland Theme Park, and the opening of "Opry Mills gigantic Mall", I wonder if our chamber of commerce is happy?

I wonder if they are making what they had hoped, and if it was worth it? I know I don't shop there unless I have some distant relative visiting and I need some place to take them that they haven't already seen. I don't spend money there, except to get a Cinnabon. They have nothing that Cool Springs and Green Hills doesn't offer a better quality version of. Unless you want to try out a "Snuggie" without ordering it on TV....*rollseyes*

There is a certain walkway from the mall parking lot to the hotel where you can see part of the Old Grizzly River Rampage......it feels like I'm walking through a graveyard of my memories. So sad.

So many wonderful summer spent there, I would give up TWO malls to get it back. PLEASE Nashville, correct this mistake!

Yeah, Nashville really needs a theme park. It is very sad. As far as dangerous, I would not go that far.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 AM

16 posts, read 40,860 times
Evidently there has been a huge rise in crime over in that area.

People are getting mugged, car jacked, and what not.

Sounds to me like a future Fountain Square. Started out nice, ended up bad.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,352,132 times
We haven't lived here long and never saw the theme park; but, we mention it all the time when we are out that way. "They tore down a theme park for this?" That mall is a dump.

Opryland is a nice tourist attraction...but doesn't have much to offer kids or teens. I'd think Nashville would want something for that demographic. Parents spend a ton of money to keep their kids happy/quiet on vacations...not to mention the locals. Was the theme park nice? Why did they get rid of it? Was it starting to turn into a hangout for gangs and the like? Malls do that too...

Old 10-20-2009, 06:07 AM

597 posts, read 2,117,397 times
When Opryland opened, in '71 or '72 or so, it was everything a theme park should be. I was just out of high school and during that first summer, a season pass could be had for 9 bucks. I went 57 times. It was extraordinarily clean, wholesome entertainment (like us). It was everything to us for years afterward. When they closed it, I hadn't been in a decade or more, but in the years since my first visits, generations behind me share the same memories. No, it wasn't bad. It never approached bad anything. The tearing down of the park was a profit scheme from people I'm happy to say are no longer involved in such decisions for our city. The present Gaylord folks, for the most part, weren't around during that decision making. In fact, Gaylords owns nothing of the Opry Mills mall. They even sold the land.

Sure, you feel like your memories are being torn down. But get used to it; there will be a string of them in your life, sadly. I agree we need something for the kids. Nowadays, is that even possible? The Unrulies always take over, no matter what. I'd as soon keep my kids bored, and my money in my pocket than expose them to much of what's out there. (easy to say for me since I have none).

Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 AM

427 posts, read 1,313,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala27poodles View Post
They have nothing that Cool Springs and Green Hills doesn't offer a better quality version of.
I've heard of more crime at Green Hills than at Shopryland.

In the past several months there's been a murder at the pizza place, an older man beaten with a baseball bat at the parking garage, and a young man mugged and put into his car trunk.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,861,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I've heard of more crime at Green Hills than at Shopryland.

In the past several months there's been a murder at the pizza place, an older man beaten with a baseball bat at the parking garage, and a young man mugged and put into his car trunk.
yes malls are centers for crime no matter where they are located.

I miss Opryland but Nashvillians didn't attend in great enough numbers for the park to remain viable. Also, there was no room to expand.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 AM

627 posts, read 1,855,320 times
I agree with France.

I'm here less than two years, and all I hear from the locals is "woe is me, no theme park." The fact is there were 1M people in the surrounding area that wouldn't give it enough support.

I guarantee that Nashville/Davidson county is making substantially more tax revenue from the Mall than the theme park was generating.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM

933 posts, read 2,754,816 times
It's really a shame that they tore down the theme park. Funny thing, just a little over ten years since Shopryland was built it is already so outdated. As far as being danderous, well if getting hit by a car is the criteria, sure. There's bare landscaping, no sidewalks coming in from the parking area (huge sea of concrete) or the hotel. The outdated building is so indicitive of it's era, no planning, sprawlish, and no heart or enduring qualities and built soley to make a buck...oh yeah, while were at it...THAT adjacent building is NOT the Opry, it's is and always will be The Ryman...

Last edited by yank283; 10-20-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM

7,578 posts, read 17,373,771 times
I've wondered for a while why Nashville doesn't try to attract or build (not sure how they're done) a Six Flags or a developer to build a similar theme or amusement park. There's a big population there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville