Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 28,942 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from Columbus, OH and moved to Johnson City, TN a year ago....this region is absolutely gorgeous but we are in our early 30's with no kids and are very bored living in such a small town. We just found out that we will be relocating to Nashville, where he will be working for Vanderbilt Hospital. We are very excited about the move. One of the biggest problems here is, we love live music and have to travel to Charlotte or Atlanta to catch some of the big-name acts. Is there a place in Nashville that can host 30,000+ concert-goers? Also, I know there's all types of genres of music there, but what about bluegrass and jam bands? That's one of the best things about living in the mountains here is that on any given day, you can find a bluegrass show somewhere and I hope we can continue to enjoy live bluegrass in the big city.
Oh yeah, one more thing. What side of town is Vanderbilt on? Is it a good area in which to live...stuff to do?

Thanks to all who respond....I'm so excited about seeing you all soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
The Arena (where the Predators play) can hold 20K for a concert and the stadium (Titans) can hold 30k+. There used to be a large amphitheater here (Starwood), but it closed last year; there is some talk about building a new one downtown (but don't hold your breath). I'm not sure how many the Municipal Auditorium can hold; quite a few but it's getting old and is only used for second tier performances now. Also, some bands play Vandy Stadium (but not as many after the Stones made so much noise the neighbors complained).

There are lots of small clubs (the Bluebird), honky tonks (Tootsie's), and other places for music (the Wildhorse Saloon, the Ryman). There is some bluegrass around, led by Alison Krass, Rhonda Vincent, Ricky Scaggs, and others.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkinnaman71 View Post
My husband and I are originally from Columbus, OH and moved to Johnson City, TN a year ago....this region is absolutely gorgeous but we are in our early 30's with no kids and are very bored living in such a small town. We just found out that we will be relocating to Nashville, where he will be working for Vanderbilt Hospital. We are very excited about the move. One of the biggest problems here is, we love live music and have to travel to Charlotte or Atlanta to catch some of the big-name acts. Is there a place in Nashville that can host 30,000+ concert-goers? Also, I know there's all types of genres of music there, but what about bluegrass and jam bands? That's one of the best things about living in the mountains here is that on any given day, you can find a bluegrass show somewhere and I hope we can continue to enjoy live bluegrass in the big city.
Oh yeah, one more thing. What side of town is Vanderbilt on? Is it a good area in which to live...stuff to do?

Thanks to all who respond....I'm so excited about seeing you all soon!
I absolutely love Nashville. As alleycat said, there is no shortage of live music in Nashville of all genres. You shouldn't have any problems.

Vanderbilt is located just west of downtown. The neighborhoods around Vandy are hip and very popular with young families and singles. If you live near Hillsboro Village (21st Ave) you can easily walk to VUMC as well as any number of restaurants, coffee shops, banks, the post office, and a very nice Harris Teeter grocery store. If I had a job at VUMC I would not hesitate to look for a home in the Hillsboro Village area before looking anywhere else.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM

32 posts, read 133,385 times
If your a music fan, you will love Nashville. We do lack a large venue, but I think you will be pleasantly suprised at the number of quality shows we get. It's fun to see a show with thousands of fans, but it's even more special to see them in a very intimate setting like the Ryman (best venue in america per pollstar).

If you like bluegrass check out Station Inn and Blueglass nights at the Ryman. We get plenty of jam bands. I know Panic has booked three nights at the Ryman this fall.

Keep an eye on the Nashville Scene, Nashville Rage, and Pollstar to keep up with the concerts here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: