Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 PM

201 posts, read 320,303 times

Advertisements

I'm a sports diehard and just wondering if anybody from the board here attends games at Vandy (or Belmont or Fisk or Lipscomb or Tennessee State or even out to Middle Tennessee State or any that I missed)?

We found a place in Nolensville and will get there just before December hits. Looking forward to all the new stuff that awaits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids78 View Post
I'm a sports diehard and just wondering if anybody from the board here attends games at Vandy (or Belmont or Fisk or Lipscomb or Tennessee State or even out to Middle Tennessee State or any that I missed)?

We found a place in Nolensville and will get there just before December hits. Looking forward to all the new stuff that awaits!
You'll find that the University of Tennessee dominates the state sports scene, at least in football. However, basketball is huge at Vanderbilt, and going to a game at Memorial Gym is an awesome experience. Its 14,316 seats are routinely sold out, and the acoustics of the place make for a rowdy, noisy time. There are a lot of people in the area who are die-hard University of Tennessee football fans but love Vandy basketball.

Belmont and Lipscomb have much smaller basketball arenas, but their fans are just as devoted. And when Belmont and Lipscomb play each other, it's a big event.

Vanderbilt football can be fun, too, although it generally pales in comparison to going to a football game in Knoxville (40,000 vs. 103,000). TSU plays its football games at LP Field which, to me, isn't very exciting since LP Field accommodates 67,000 but TSU has only a few thousand at their games. Likewise, MTSU doesn't have very big crowds and rarely plays big-time schools on their home field in Murfreesboro.

While my blood bleeds Tennessee orange, if I were living in Nashville I would definitely go to Vandy games. Being in the SEC, going to Vandy games means you'll see a lot of great athletes from some of the country's most prestigious college athletic programs.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
TSU plays its football games at LP Field which, to me, isn't very exciting since LP Field accommodates 67,000 but TSU has only a few thousand at their games. Likewise, MTSU doesn't have very big crowds and rarely plays big-time schools on their home field in Murfreesboro.
This is the situation that I'm leaving behind (U of Calgary tops out at 5,000 a game in a 35,000 seat stadium - this weekends chilly temps will make for a small crowd at a National Semi-Final game between the two best schools in the country). I've been down for a Vandy football game already, caught women's basketball in Memorial and even went to a Vandy women's lacrosse game when I was down there one spring.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM

369 posts, read 943,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are a lot of people in the area who are die-hard University of Tennessee football fans but love Vandy basketball.
i've never seen this.

vandy is the red headed step brother of the state university.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
i've never seen this.

vandy is the red headed step brother of the state university.
Oh I know quite a few people in Nashville who wear orange during football season but black & gold during basketball season. And actually there are a lot of UT fans from Nashville who are also Vandy fans except for when Vandy plays UT. For that matter, I know a lot of people here in Knoxville who also root for Vanderbilt except when Vandy plays UT.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 PM

367 posts, read 586,528 times
I go to a lot of MT football and basketball games. Football has been down this year, but basketball has started out good so far. The men are 3-0 after blowing out UCLA by 20 the other night.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 PM

How about high school sports? What's the pulse of Nashville area for that?

I'm keeping my company going but it'll be operating in Canada for the most part so I can just enjoy the high school sports.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:51 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,479,129 times
I'm a Vandy fan through and through and definitely have seen the fairweather UT Football/Vandy Basketball fans out there. I think it was much more common in the 90s when UT Football was consistantly ranked in the top 10 and UT Basketball stunk, while Vandy Football has always been lackluster but Vandy Basketball has been very competitive. But now UT Basketball is better (or was during Bruce Pearl's run) I don't see as much of that flip-flopping as I used to.

Right now Vandy's fan base is really excited about the new coach James Franklin. He's dynamic, exciting, and has them on the verge of going to a bowl game for just the third time in my 33 year lifetime. This weekend's game against Tennessee will be HUGE. Probably bigger for Vandy than UT, but UT needs to win in order to have a shot at a bowl game too. But if the Commodores can pull off the win in Knoxville, Franklin will exorcise 2 demons right off the bat in his tenure: the bowl drought, and the UT drought. Now, admittedly, Vandy has beaten UT recently (2007?) and been to a bowl game recently (2009?) but look at the history...it has been a one-sided rivalry for the last 30+ years.

All that to say, yes, you'll find lots of Vandy fans here in Nashville. Probably more UT fans than Vandy fans (and I mean no disrespect here) but right now I see more vocal Vandy fans than UT fans because it has been a tough couple of years for the Volunteers. But when UT football is on a roll, you see LOTS of orange around here.

As far as high school sports, right now the state football playoffs are going on and its a big deal. HS Football is pretty big here, not as big as Friday Night Lights in Texas, but pretty big nonetheless. The other sports aren't as big and usually don't attract as much attention as football does. For example, you will see a lot of people go to HS football games even if they didn't go to the school or don't have kids going there if it is a competitive game...but not as much of that goes on for basketball.

Hope that helps...enjoy the new locale!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Are the State football championships always held in Cookeville?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,479,129 times
They are now. A few years ago they were held in Nashville...then in Murfresboro...now in Cookeville. The playoffs occur at the higher ranked school's home field, but once they get to the playoffs, they're on a neutral field.

The games will also be televised...usually on WUPN/channel 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville