Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,756,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnonnac View Post
Sorry it's been forever since I've checked the site, but thank you for your input on all of the above things I posted. I am really excited to move to Nashville and will definitely take your advice on things to check out.

Some other questions I have (sorry):

1. Is there Wells Fargo Bank out there?
2. What can I expect in fees for transferring my CA plates to TN license plates on my car?
3. What is typical car insurance cost like out there?

Thanks again you guys. So nice of you to offer such great advice.

You'll find car insurance cheaper here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM

32 posts, read 73,224 times
Excellent, thanks!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM

24 posts, read 50,098 times
I've been in nashville for a year now...I moved from memphis...I love nashville. I find that the people are nicer and there is a lot less crime than in memphis!. I've been out with people from work and east nashville and downtown is where we go. Try 3rd and Lindsley or 12th in porter... you can usual catch a good local singer or band performing there. Church street is where the hottest gay bars are and suzy wongs house of yum..which is good sushi and such...everyones welcome! I don't find the peoplpe here clickish except for parts of the gay community...I can say this as a gay man in my 30s. I'm not big into the gay scene here but have made some gay friends as well as straight friends... there are a lot of people in my age bracket where I live in south nashville near nippers corner...I'm closer to the brentwood side though. There are many affordable apartments in the edmondson pike/nippers corner area. I don't really recommend antioch...I hope this helps! Privavte message me if you have any more questions

Old 01-01-2012, 09:23 PM

I also have another question that is pretty much holding me back from moving at this point. Now, I have read all of the posts on this topic already but I'm just so nervous about this so bear with me. I'm from CA....we don't have bugs here (I know southern people laugh at this because they think it's trivial, but really, if you didn't grow up around them, you'd be scared of them too). I'm really scared of them. My friend in TN just sent me a video of the Cicada infestation and it completely freaked me out. I know that's only every however many years, but besides that, not sure if I could handle the bugs I've heard about there. I lived in FL for 2 years and had a heart attack almost everyday since I saw roaches EVERY day. Mosquito's don't scare me, but spiders, snakes, cockroaches, and all these other weird bugs I keep hearing of ?(walking stick....what the hell are those??.....chiggers....what are those??) and many others. Please give me an honest answer. I don't think I'll ever "get used" to them, but need to know what to expect. I'd hate for that reason to be holding me back from moving.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,117,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnonnac View Post
I also have another question that is pretty much holding me back from moving at this point. Now, I have read all of the posts on this topic already but I'm just so nervous about this so bear with me. I'm from CA....we don't have bugs here (I know southern people laugh at this because they think it's trivial, but really, if you didn't grow up around them, you'd be scared of them too). I'm really scared of them. My friend in TN just sent me a video of the Cicada infestation and it completely freaked me out. I know that's only every however many years, but besides that, not sure if I could handle the bugs I've heard about there. I lived in FL for 2 years and had a heart attack almost everyday since I saw roaches EVERY day. Mosquito's don't scare me, but spiders, snakes, cockroaches, and all these other weird bugs I keep hearing of ?(walking stick....what the hell are those??.....chiggers....what are those??) and many others. Please give me an honest answer. I don't think I'll ever "get used" to them, but need to know what to expect. I'd hate for that reason to be holding me back from moving.
I appreciate that this is a problem for you. But I honestly don't know what to say. I mean, we have bugs here. I can't say you'll never see them. Well, you'll never see chiggers. You only feel their work a day or two later around your waistband.

I think that if you never go outside and especially never go hiking or camping, you'll be totally fine. If you live in a newer, super clean apartment and drive a car with the windows up and head in to an indoor, air-conditioned job, you will hardly ever encounter any bugs. If you rent an older house situated in a low-lying area, you probably will see stink bugs and cave crickets. Cave crickets will send anyone over the edge.

The thing about bugs is you can't tell when you'll run across one. Only you will know if something like this will be a deal breaker. Have you visited here for an extended period?

They say the Nashville area will get a million more people over the next two decades. So it can't be THAT big a problem.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Thank you for the honest write up on the bugs. That really helped me realize that I probably couldn't live there. I don't want to be confined to my home or staying indoors as I love to be outdoors. I do find it funny that I lived (and survived) in Florida of all places! I didn't see as many bugs when I lived there, lol.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,107,649 times
I have been here 18 months. We have a small newish house and I do a lot of gardening, um, well, not a LOT but I dig around in the dirt. I have only been bothered by one spider near the water spigot that a friend squished for me. The cicadas were not around here although they were in Green Hills and you would have to leave for a month every 13 years but HONESTLY I have only seen the one spider EVER. No cockroaches. No bugs at the mall or ANYWHERE.

I lived in Australia for a few years with tarantulas and red back spiders and I hate bugs too.

Really, I can't imagine not moving here because of the bugs ALTHOUGH I wouldn't move to Hawaii for the same reason. But seriously, I haven't seen ANY except for the spider and some ants. People DO get their homes sprayed for bugs - you could do that. Sign up with a service. I SHOULD for termites but I haven't yet.

But if they bother that much just call one of the bug places. They come out every month or two and spray for you . . . .

Just my 2 cents.

This is the only bug I see on a regular basis . . .

Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM

You know, I did think about that. I thought that if I could live in FL...I could probably live in TN and be fine...I just need to be prepared. I can only hope that I would in fact get used to them here and there, but I really would have to leave for a month during the cicada thing. I heard it's every 6 years and every 13....not sure which one is correct. I've only been to Nashville for a week in April and I'm coming back in May and driving up to Kentucky for the Derby after that trip. Maybe May will be a good time closer to summer to see whats lurking around. Haha

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

228 posts, read 529,391 times
You'll never believe it now, but you get over them. Not the cicadas - those are disgusting - but the others. It's not that you hang out, share a drink, and become friends. It's just that you adjust and don't find yourself in situations where you'll be surrounded by bugs. You'll look back on this post and probably laugh at yourself a little. Maybe a lot. Course, you'll still have to deal with all of the nice people... they grow those here. A lot of them. Nice people who can't (as a populace) drive all that well ;-)

Ask a born and bred local to explain what "vittles" are... try all the biscuits and gravy, fried something or other, dumplings, and sweat tea at least once. Some of it's great, some is terrible, but the people are pretty much amazing. That's what you'll remember. The bugs? Their seasonal.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

216 posts, read 347,366 times
I can appreciate a healthy dose of phobia, but you may be over thinking it a wee bit. Florida is way worse for bugs. California? Those potatoe bugs that come up out of the sand at night to get to the warmth when you have a bonfire going? My god those things freak the crap outta me. The bugs can't be that bad in a place where it gets below freezing for any amount of time during the winter when compared to a climate like Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville