Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 92,034 times

Advertisements

We would sure appreciate any comments regarding areas where senior retirees would be welcome. We have two medium well-behaved dogs. We did our careers in California, but love the south. Have lived in coastal Alabama most of our retired years. We would love an area with a community pool, but that has some older folks (in years only). We checked out Del Webb at Lake Providence and did not like it at all - too plastic and contrived looking. One poster on here referenced Stepford Wives' living at Del Webb and I can sort of see that. Would love a community feeling. Have always ooohed and ahhhhed driving through Franklin. Husband loves Civil War history and such.

Thanks for any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
There is a section of Fieldstone Farms that is for over 55 and you have access to two pools (summer only). Lots of walking trails and within walking distance of a Publix and a Walgreens PLUS the Franklin Trolley stops there that will take you to downtown Franklin or the mall and the Williamson Medical Center (although I think it only goes once an hour). Some of the residents recently formed an "Older Kids of Franklin Farms" group that does walks twice a week, started a book club, and a creative writing class. All new within the last 6 months. There are no 'services' though. Here's the website but I think you have to be a resident to access a lot of it.

Fieldstone Farms HOA - Welcome to Your Community Online

Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Condos with Pool for older folks?

Thanks so much for the helpful reply. I'll check it out. Started thinking that maybe condos/townhomes might be the way to go - although really don't want stairs. The pool is more for socialization potential - not really into swimming - just a place to take a book or perhaps chat with others.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,815 times
you might look at westhaven. Westhaven : New Homes : Available Homes : Nashville, Brentwood, Franklin, Tn it has a very active over 55 set although housing isn't restricted. They have been building townhomes that have been very popular with empty nesters. There are a lot of amentities including an adult only pool in addition to a restort style pool.

Another option is Willowsprings. Again, not a retirement community, but popular with empty nesters. One of the amentities included in Willowsprings HOA dues is law care, even for the single family homes.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Wow! Both beautiful homes in the two suggested developments.

We are hoping for a smaller home, or one-story condo with community pool for approx 300-400k. Fieldstone Farms is older than we'd like. I suppose I sound fussy at this point, but would like a modern one story, 1800-2000 sq ft and small area for dogs in back (can be very small) so I'm checking on some newer condos and hoping.........

Thanks for the input. I wish I'd checked a bit more on city-data before the long drive to Juliet the other day. Del Webb's community reminded me of The Villages in Florida.

One huge draw is Vanderbilt Medical Center. I am a RN and the medical care where we live is marginal. So proximity to Vanderbilt is important.

Is there a Tyson poultry processing plant nearby Tyson??

Last edited by donjackw; 10-22-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
No, there is no Tyson plant nearby. It is in Shelbyville, about 45 minutes away.

Williamson County has not been the best market for retirees so far because the land is too expensive for developers to put one-story residences. The emphasis has been on family-oriented subdivisions with large yards, multiple stories, etc.

The previous suggestions really are the best in the area.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:30 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjackw View Post
Wow! Both beautiful homes in the two suggested developments.

We are hoping for a smaller home, or one-story condo with community pool for approx 300-400k. Fieldstone Farms is older than we'd like. I suppose I sound fussy at this point, but would like a modern one story, 1800-2000 sq ft and small area for dogs in back (can be very small) so I'm checking on some newer condos and hoping.........

Thanks for the input. I wish I'd checked a bit more on city-data before the long drive to Juliet the other day. Del Webb's community reminded me of The Villages in Florida.

One huge draw is Vanderbilt Medical Center. I am a RN and the medical care where we live is marginal. So proximity to Vanderbilt is important.

Is there a Tyson poultry processing plant nearby Tyson??
There are few 1 story cottages in Westhaven but they tend to go quickly when listed. Most of the homes have 1st floor master suites which are great for aging in place or if you are prone to breaking leg bones (I am).

Old 10-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Thanks so much you all. I'm finding all of your comments spot on. We are quite a bit older and young at heart, but stairs NOT. And we need to feel we are near some others with similar interests and issues. Such a nice area and yes too expensive for one story - hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense. I wish there were more active retirement communities in the south, but they were slowly coming before the economy tanked. The Del Webb was a disappointment in that the homes seemed so plastic somehow and we prefer a more solid look. Seems most areas go from normal family homes to assisted living and we are not at the latter yet.

Thanks for the help - we'll keep looking. So much good advice and honesty here.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
You can look for one story houses on RealTracs:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Just put your budget parameters (no commas) and then for stories put "1" in both boxes. Not ALL of the ones that show up are true one story homes, but it's better than nothing! There's certainly new construction here and maybe you can have something built to YOUR specifications for that amount of money.

I live in Fieldstone Farms and the downstairs master was a MUST. My RE agent found me probably 60 homes with downstairs masters. You can decorate upstairs for guests and just never go up there!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM

228 posts, read 528,723 times
If you get a chance, you might also look into the New Neighbors League Club of Nashville. They actually have had events at residents homes in these neighborhoods (mentioned above) and a bunch more. Also, another community that offers single level living, amenities, and maintains your yard as apart of the HOA is Chestnut Springs in Brentwood. Pretty affordable too at $263,000-350,000 compared to Brentwood's median of $517,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville