Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 06:56 AM

11 posts, read 34,504 times

Advertisements

Hi:
We are considering a move from Franklin to M'boro before school starts. Yes, I know....not much time. I have 5 children...2 start kindergarten next year, one will be in 8th grade, and 2 are in high school. What schools do you recommend? My two youngest are adopted from Guatemala so diversity is important. I love Franklin, but the housing has gone up sooo much!

Also, are there many adoptive families in M'boro?

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can give me!.........Renee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:40 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,989,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmomto5 View Post
Hi:
We are considering a move from Franklin to M'boro before school starts. Yes, I know....not much time. I have 5 children...2 start kindergarten next year, one will be in 8th grade, and 2 are in high school. What schools do you recommend? My two youngest are adopted from Guatemala so diversity is important. I love Franklin, but the housing has gone up sooo much!

I'm an education major at MTSU so I've spent a good amount of time at most of the schools in some for another, but haven't worked in them for experienced periods of time.

I'm sure a lot depends on what kind of place you can afford. If you are coming from Franklin, I doubt price is a big issue.

Conventional wisdom would suggest the Siegel schools (Elem., MS, and HS), but I don't think they are any better than many of the other schools.

Living in the Blackman area and have your kids attend Blackman Elementary, Middle, and High school would be a great option as well.

Moving to south side of town in the Barfield Elementary, Christian Middle, and Riverdale High zone would be a great choice as well.

My personal opinion is that the best schools in town are Bellwood Elementary (magnet school), Christiana Middle, and will soon be Oakland for high school. They have a new principal at Oakland, Butch Vaughn, who is a world-class administrator who has already had a great impact. He is about to have the school have state's sixth IB program, which is an excellent program to have; despite the school have a large portion of it's student body on the free/reduced lunch program. However, those schools are all in different zones.

If you could get your Elementary kids on a waiting list at Campus School, Bellwood, or McFadden it might not be a bad idea either.

I honestly can't tell you anything about the local adoption community.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Mike,
Thanks for all your information! My two little one's are in pre-school here in Franklin ( Williamson County Schools). They were tested, and considered to be at risk due to the fact that they were born in a foreign country. We were told that their IEP could be used even if we moved to another county. Since you are an education major....do you happen to know anything about Rutherford county pre-school through the school system?

Thanks in advance,

Renee

Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,989,269 times
Renee,

I'm sorry, but I have no knowledge of anything Pre-K related with the city and county schools here. My licensure will be K-12 so I've only spent time in the Elementary and Secondary schoools.

I did look at the city and county websites, and the only thing I could find Pre-K related was a Pre-K program at Bellwood.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 PM

66 posts, read 369,593 times
Scales Elementary is great. Cason Elementary and Blackmon schools are good too. I live on the west side of town so these are my options. I don't know much about the others schools in the area, but I do know that they are pretty good. At least this is what I have been told.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:14 AM

Thanks for your help...I appreciate it!!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,041,730 times
I would suggest sending your kids to Scales Elementary. They take the some of the best field trips, and the teachers always conduct themselves with the utmost professionalism.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 AM

225 posts, read 1,145,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmomto5 View Post
Hi:

Hi Renee,

Murfreesboro is a very diverse community with excellent schools. The cost of homes in this area is significantly lower than Franklin. I have four children who have attended, or still attend the public schools here in Murfreesboro. We have been very pleased and my son is at MTSU on scholarship after graduating from Oakland. My two youngest attend Siegel which is awesome. You have so many choices in this area in housing and schools. There is also the option of attending the choice or magnet schools such as Campus, Bellwood, and McFadden. I don't think you could find a better schools anywhere. We currently do not have a magnet high school but they are considering turning Central Middle into a K-12 magnet in the near future. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me or send me a PM. I'd be happy to help you any way I can. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville