Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 AM

274 posts, read 998,701 times

Advertisements

I'm officially a Tennesseean now. Just changed my tags, sent a request to get a new title for TN, and changed my driver's license over to TN (after a 3 hr wait).

What's around the Green Hills area, aside from the "upscale" mall? I think later today, I'll drive around Cool Springs Blvd. to see what's all there.

Another question - I'm starting to learn the local roads without taking the freeway and it seems straight forward. I keep getting confused when it comes on driving on the interstates though... especially since you have I-24, I-440, and I-65. Is there a quick way of remembering which roads leads to certain places/cities without a GPS? There are so many signs that say "Int'l Airport" and "Nashville" that I'm not sure if I get off the exit, I'll get to the right place without a GPS. I'm guessing it'll take time for me to adjust. The only major interstate we really had in Michigan was I-94 and it just went west to east and vice versa so it was not hard to navigate by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM

597 posts, read 2,109,655 times
I have a GPS, but haven't used it...just keep it with me on trips in case I do. Acclimating yourself to a new area on a screen the size of a note card won't help much. I have a better idea (and I never get lost). : )

My suggestion would be to stop at a market and get a large Metro Nashville map, spread it out on the table or floor, place an "I AM HERE" x on your residence and just study where your in relation to everything else. Pay attention to NESW directions and what roads go where (and back). Check to see what crosses what which interstates go where. It's fun and being a rather directionally challenged native Nashvillian, the map will be your best friend. After a while, you'll know where to go. If you get stuck, get out the GPS.

Another advantage of the map is just being able to realize how big this area is and just how many discoveries you ahead of you.

Welcome new neighbor, real happy to have you.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,476,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
I'm officially a Tennesseean now. Just changed my tags, sent a request to get a new title for TN, and changed my driver's license over to TN (after a 3 hr wait).
Welcome, officially!

Quote:
What's around the Green Hills area, aside from the "upscale" mall? I think later today, I'll drive around Cool Springs Blvd. to see what's all there.
It's mostly residential...some very nice upscale homes. Lipscomb University is in the area too. But aside from the mall and all the commercial mayhem that surrounds it (and the very cool Hill Center), there's not a lot of "stuff" to see and do. Businesses, doctor's offices, YMCA, etc...but not any fun touristy type stuff that I can think of. Now...get on Hillsboro Road and head towards downtown (drive on the bridge going across 440) and you are in the Hillsboro Village area. Several cool shops and restaurants/bars down there. And you're just minutes from Vanderbilt University, Belmont University, West End, Music Row...all that.

When you go to Cool Springs, be sure to drive over to the other side of I-65, (Cross over Cool Springs Blvd or Bakers Bridge Rd from the mall to Carothers Pkwy.) You'll find it's less congested and there are several commercial centers over there too. There's a Noshville Deli there too (a local favorite). There are also several large office buildings that are home to many companies. Nissan North America's national HQ is just down the road, too.

Quote:
Another question - I'm starting to learn the local roads without taking the freeway and it seems straight forward. I keep getting confused when it comes on driving on the interstates though... especially since you have I-24, I-440, and I-65. Is there a quick way of remembering which roads leads to certain places/cities without a GPS? There are so many signs that say "Int'l Airport" and "Nashville" that I'm not sure if I get off the exit, I'll get to the right place without a GPS. I'm guessing it'll take time for me to adjust. The only major interstate we really had in Michigan was I-94 and it just went west to east and vice versa so it was not hard to navigate by any means.
I'd agree with IngleDave that getting a city map is a good idea. I really don't think it's hard compared to other cities like Atlanta or Charlotte. Basically there are 3 interstates: I 65 running north/south, I 40 running east/west and I 24 running southeast/northwest. Downtown Nashville is a loop. At some point 24 and 65 become one big merge, and at another 24 splits off but then 65 merges again with 40. So basically, if you miss your exit, don't freak out...just keep driving around and you'll come back around to it eventually. Although it may take you 15 minutes or so.

As for the other major secondaries...440 is a south of town loop. Connecting at I 40 and I 24 eastbound near the airport, I 65 south of town near Brentwood/100 Oaks, and I 40 again out by West End. The other major secondary is Briley Parkway. It's more of a north loop. Starting around the airport at I 40 east, running out towards Opry Mills/Opryland Hotel, then bisecting I 65 north of town and heading westward through west Nashville to I 40 west.

But beware of Briley...it does change names a couple of times. It becomes White Bridge Road after intersecting with 40 west, then Woodmont Blvd, then Thompson Lane, then it becomes Briley Parkway again. Same goes for Old Hickory Boulevard. You'll see it pop up throughout town...but it should NOT be considered a "loop" road. It changes names, forks without notice, becomes rural, then a 6 lane highway, then rural again at the drop of a hat. It is hard to explain, but get yourself a map and you'll see. Those 2 thoroughfares are the 2 that I hear newbies complain the most about. And it's understandable.

Good luck and welcome again.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM

597 posts, read 2,109,655 times
This is why I think of you as Don-WIKI-Corleone. lol

Old 07-09-2010, 12:38 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,476,232 times
To quote The Big Lebowski: "He's a good man. And thorough."

Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post

Here's a lengthy but easy way to learn the Nashville highway and road systems...

Think of the Nashville interstate system as a rather crude, giant, six-point spoke with mini-circles and mini-spokes. I-65 gets your north to south. I-24 gets you northwest to southeast. I-40 gets you northeast to southwest. They all converge on a giant loop around downtown (plus some inner-urban neighborhoods like the Gulch, Germantown and Salemtown).

I-440 makes just about a half-loop around the southern portion of Davidson County about a couple of miles out from the inner most loop around downtown. 440 begins on I-40 on in W. Nashville and takes you all the way to I-24 in southeast Nashville. I-65 also hits 440. You'll probably find 440 to be extremely beneficial for getting around town since you live closest to 65.

Briley Parkway wraps around Davidson County a couple of miles further out than 440. Technically, Briley only goes about 2/3rd of the way around the northern most portion of Nashville. However, it runs directly into White Bridge Pike which turns into Woodmont Boulevard which turns into Thompson Lane and then back into Briley Parkway. Thus, Briley/White Bridge/Woodmont/Thompson essentially form another complete loop around Davidson County. Remembering this can be very helpful if you get lost or stuck in nightmarish traffic. Almost all the major "pikes" in Nashville (which are generally all named after Nashville suburban towns) are like mini-spokes and will likely hit either Briley Parkway, White Bridge, Woodmont or Thompson. Just find your way back to one of these four and keep going straight until you get back to 65 and you'll make it home in peace.

Old Hickory Boulevard makes nearly a full loop around Nashville about 7-8 miles out. It doesn't connect neatly so you'd likely be better off using one of the pikes to find you way back to an interstate than, say, relying on Old Hickory to get you from north to south.

Last edited by ariesjow; 07-09-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,500 times
As others have said beware of Old Hickory Blvd. If you're trying to find a business with an address on this street, get DETAILED directions and don't just assume you can keep driving to find it.

Learn where the nearest towns are....Murfreesboro, Gallatin, Franklin, Lebanon, Ashland City, Charlotte, and Springfield all have roads in Nashville leading to them and go by those names. Gallatin is NE of Nashville so Gallatin Rd runs from Nashville to the northeast. Charlotte is west of town so Charlotte Pk runs to the west.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Welcome, officially!

It's mostly residential...some very nice upscale homes. Lipscomb University is in the area too. But aside from the mall and all the commercial mayhem that surrounds it (and the very cool Hill Center), there's not a lot of "stuff" to see and do. Businesses, doctor's offices, YMCA, etc...but not any fun touristy type stuff that I can think of. Now...get on Hillsboro Road and head towards downtown (drive on the bridge going across 440) and you are in the Hillsboro Village area. Several cool shops and restaurants/bars down there. And you're just minutes from Vanderbilt University, Belmont University, West End, Music Row...all that.

When you go to Cool Springs, be sure to drive over to the other side of I-65, (Cross over Cool Springs Blvd or Bakers Bridge Rd from the mall to Carothers Pkwy.) You'll find it's less congested and there are several commercial centers over there too. There's a Noshville Deli there too (a local favorite). There are also several large office buildings that are home to many companies. Nissan North America's national HQ is just down the road, too.

I'd agree with IngleDave that getting a city map is a good idea. I really don't think it's hard compared to other cities like Atlanta or Charlotte. Basically there are 3 interstates: I 65 running north/south, I 40 running east/west and I 24 running southeast/northwest. Downtown Nashville is a loop. At some point 24 and 65 become one big merge, and at another 24 splits off but then 65 merges again with 40. So basically, if you miss your exit, don't freak out...just keep driving around and you'll come back around to it eventually. Although it may take you 15 minutes or so.

As for the other major secondaries...440 is a south of town loop. Connecting at I 40 and I 24 eastbound near the airport, I 65 south of town near Brentwood/100 Oaks, and I 40 again out by West End. The other major secondary is Briley Parkway. It's more of a north loop. Starting around the airport at I 40 east, running out towards Opry Mills/Opryland Hotel, then bisecting I 65 north of town and heading westward through west Nashville to I 40 west.

But beware of Briley...it does change names a couple of times. It becomes White Bridge Road after intersecting with 40 west, then Woodmont Blvd, then Thompson Lane, then it becomes Briley Parkway again. Same goes for Old Hickory Boulevard. You'll see it pop up throughout town...but it should NOT be considered a "loop" road. It changes names, forks without notice, becomes rural, then a 6 lane highway, then rural again at the drop of a hat. It is hard to explain, but get yourself a map and you'll see. Those 2 thoroughfares are the 2 that I hear newbies complain the most about. And it's understandable.

Good luck and welcome again.
I wish I would have read the entire thread before typing out a lengthy post. I would have noticed you explained the same exact thing. I will say that the Briley/White Bridge/Woodmont/Thompson loop can be a huge benefit once you can digest the name changes.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 AM

274 posts, read 998,701 times
Thanks guys! I'll have to get myself a map to see where everything is. I did fall into the trap about "Old Hickory Blvd" as there are many of them around and thought that if I just followed the road down, it'd take me to places that I was familiar with... WRONG lol. I guess it's the same as when I was in Chicago and Michigan with the infinite number of streets named "Michigan Ave".

I found the Starbucks on Cool Springs Blvd and might check that out. I'm liking the variety of restaurants too... they're not all chain restaurants like your typical Applebees and TGI Fridays, although they're there too.

What areas do you guys frequent or enjoy going to around these areas?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
For Old Hickory addresses, I always check the zip code.
37027- Brentwood
37211- South Nashville
37013- Antioch
Those are the 3 closest to your apartment.

Any other OHB zips usually mean the address is noth of Nashville, Hermitage or Bellevue.

In Cool Springs for non-chain restuarants, we like Chef Paul's (cajun influence), Cool Springs Brewery (micro brewery with pizza/italian), J. Christophers (breakfast/brunch/lunch), Sperry's (steaks).
If you like Greek food- Kalamata's in Brentwood is great. And for a good Southern meat & 3- Vittles in Brentwood. We eat there a couple times a month and it's not unusual to see a celebrity there.

You should also check out the Farmer's Market downtown. You can get anything you want to eat for lunch there and shop for fresh food at the same time.

Frothy Monkey is a good local coffee shop in 12 South area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville