Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 AM

13 posts, read 51,357 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]We are an African American family of 6 strongly considering a move to the greater Nashville area from Delaware. Can you tell me what city you live in and 10 things you like about it. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,224,034 times
I'll throw out one, although not related to a specific city. One of the reason I like living in Tennessee is the natural beauty of the area. I love the rolling hills (and mountain in East Tennessee), the hardwood forests, the rivers and lakes, the change of seasons in the spring and fall.

Okay, I'll throw out one more. I like the fact that politeness and respect for others is still considered a desirable quality here. There's always a debate about just how friendly Nashville is; some say it's one of the most friendly cities in the country, others say it's not nearly as friendly as the smaller towns. I tend to agree that Nashville is not quite as friendly as some other towns; to me, I care less whether it's overly friendly, than that a certain courtesy is shown to others, whether they live here or are just visiting (and we get a lot of visitors). I think this is one of the reasons people from the northeast sometimes have a harder time fitting in here. For example, I think many New Yorkers are quite proud of being loud and their "in your face" attitude, and that fine . . . in New York--it's doesn't fly as well here.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 AM

21 posts, read 49,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I'll throw out one, although not related to a specific city. One of the reason I like living in Tennessee is the natural beauty of the area. I love the rolling hills (and mountain in East Tennessee), the hardwood forests, the rivers and lakes, the change of seasons in the spring and fall.

Okay, I'll throw out one more. I like the fact that politeness and respect for others is still considered a desirable quality here. There's always a debate about just how friendly Nashville is; some say it's one of the most friendly cities in the country, others say it's not nearly as friendly as the smaller towns. I tend to agree that Nashville is not quite as friendly as some other towns; to me, I care less whether it's overly friendly, than that a certain courtesy is shown to others, whether they live here or are just visiting (and we get a lot of visitors). I think this is one of the reasons people from the northeast sometimes have a harder time fitting in here. For example, I think many New Yorkers are quite proud of being loud and their "in your face" attitude, and that fine . . . in New York--it's doesn't fly as well here.
It shouldn't fly anywhere. Anyone who is "proud" of being a jerk, is just plain out of their minds. (Allow me to clarify, I'm not calling all NY'ers jerks...) Especially if they promote that attitude in their children...teaching anyone to be anything but nice to others is just plain crappy. It's the same way here in West Palm Beach, FL. People seem to enjoy being able to get over on others. Why is it so hard anymore for people to be nice?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,556 times
Nashville
1. Maget School system.
2. Quality of music programs for kids (and I am not talking country music).
3. Park System - Percy Warner, Shelby Bottoms, just to name 2
4. Level of giving within Community Foundations
5. Radnor Lake
6. Symphony
7. 4th of July Fireworks show
8. Diversity of race and religion (we have lived near a Hindu Temple and a Mosque)
9. Nice country drives are just a hop, skip, and jump away
10. My neighbors

Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM

256 posts, read 605,870 times
I think Nashville has character, which alot of cities lack.

Only wish alot of the shopping and dining weren't so middle-of-the-road and generic. It takes away from the city's uniqueness and soul.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 51,357 times
[SIZE=3]Wow thank you guys for your responses. Based on what you’ve said I think we’ll fix in well and enjoy it. We are Christians and we try to live by the WORD of GOD as best as we can. A big part of that is of course treating others as you want to be treated. Are there any particular area’s that you can suggest we look in? [/SIZE]

Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,158,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NailsOfTheCross View Post
[SIZE=3]Wow thank you guys for your responses. Based on what you’ve said I think we’ll fix in well and enjoy it. We are Christians and we try to live by the WORD of GOD as best as we can. A big part of that is of course treating others as you want to be treated. Are there any particular area’s that you can suggest we look in? [/SIZE]
What price range house are you looking for? What house and community amenities are you looking for? How important is driving time to work and what area will you be working in? Are you interested in public or private schools? How old are your children?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
MTbound, you bring up a point of interest to me. Can you or anyone else elaborate a little about the school music programs for kids? Thanks.

"For example, I think many New Yorkers are quite proud of being loud and their "in your face" attitude, and that fine . . . in New York--it's doesn't fly as well here. "-Sounds like someone has been watching too many Al Pacino movies and NYPD Blues reruns. Rudeness is universal. That behavior doesn't fly anywhere and I can't think of anyone who would be proud of it.

Good luck Nails with your research and your decision.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
"For example, I think many New Yorkers are quite proud of being loud and their "in your face" attitude, and that's fine . . . in New York--it's doesn't fly as well here. "-Sounds like someone has been watching too many Al Pacino movies and NYPD Blues reruns.
LOL. You could be right. I never watched NYPD Blues much, but I did see The Godfather! Oh, and a few Robert De Niro movies too. ;-)

Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
MTbound, you bring up a point of interest to me. Can you or anyone else elaborate a little about the school music programs for kids? Thanks.
I can't tell you much about it (not having children myself), but the W.O. Smith / Nashville Community Music School is one for lower income families. You can find more information here: W. O. Smith Nashville Community Music School (http://www.wosmith.org/profile.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: