Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 20,586 times

Advertisements

Here we go again with typical Sun New Editorial Board commentary that scratches the surface just enough to stop with AB leadership being identified as the only problem facing the town. Let's get real. It was Senator Dick Elliott and Rep. Edge that gave the town a $250k grant from the state about six years ago. Your newspaper reported that the money was gone in six weeks and no one accounted for it. It was Greg Hembree who arrested Irene Armstrong and Marcia Conner, mayor and town manager who oversaw the disbursement of the money along with her brother, Jake Evans and Charlene Taylor, both council members. Don't play your reading public for fools. Who gave them the grant? Who did they kick the money back out to? Your newspaper endorsed Jake Evans for mayor and Charlene Taylor for council even when you knew they sat on council from 2005 to the present and did not get the audits done. You know as well as the rest of us that their job is to sit there on council and pretend to be stupid and launder money for big fish. AB is the easy target but you cowards don't have the guts to find out where the money really went. You can't call your family and friends names the way you do the people in AB who have been trying to get rid of Armstrong, Evans, Taylor and the like. It was Hembree who dropped the charges against them after three years. Who do you think doesn't understand the agreement with those low life town officials to use the town for the benefit of the white collar criminal class? Let's see law enforcement move Armstrong, Evans, Taylor, Pierce, Joe Montgomery, Booker and company and let's see if your story is about AB not being able to clean up. Your low friends n high places won't let you do that will they?
[LEFT]
Read more here: Editorial | Outside Help for Atlantic Beach | Editorials | MyrtleBeachOnline.com
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Feel better now? Take two aspirin and call us in the morning.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM

84 posts, read 393,319 times
Would someone care to take a few minutes and tell us what is going on with AB
I'm sure its a long local story, I've read posts here and there about it,
but can someone give us a basic history of the issues with AB.

Thanks

Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Although AB had an inspiring history, it has turned into a depressing situation, with an ever-lengthening list of issues. It started out back in the 30's as an African-American resort, and one of the very few places African-Americans were allowed on the beach in SC. It was a popular stopover for black musicians and other minority performers, as they traveled between NYC and Miami. The town was incorporated in the 60's, and has maintained a black-majority population. As a result of incompetence, mismanagement, and very likely corruption, it has fallen into an awe-inspiring mess.

Nobody is quite sure who is mayor. The previous mayor has been arrested numerous times for minor run-ins with the law. The candidate elected 1.5 (?) years ago has never been seated, due to a long string of appeals and election irregularities. A special election was ordered in late 2011, but never happened until the SC guvnah stepped in and ordered one earlier this year. Those results have also been appealed several times, with no final result. Numerous city managers have been fired or quit, leaving the town without administrative leadership. The town has not filed a financial audit with the state since 2006, in violation of state law that requires annual audits. As a result, the town has missed out on significant revenue sharing. The vast majority of town meetings are cancelled due to a lack of quorum. The local police force has been fired and/or quit many times, often because the town could not make payroll. Most of the town's recent financial resources were expended settling a lawsuit brought on by one of the town council members. There's much more, but that should paint an adequate picture.

For a long time, I pulled for 'em to find a way out of their mess, but finally became convinced the town's leadership was more interested in finger pointing and in-fighting than in doing the hard work necessary to recover. North Myrtle Beach has offered on several occasions to annex AB, providing them with fire and police services, as well as gradually upgrading their infrastructure. At this point, it would be the best solution to a very bad situation. AB has oceanfront properties that are deserted and overgrown, with very little value. Within a very short time after becoming part of NMB, these properties would be worth $million+. The town "leadership" refuses to even discuss the subject with NMB. A sad, sad story...

Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM

84 posts, read 393,319 times
Geez

What a waste, I had more to say but deleted it, what good would it do.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 20,586 times
The S.C. Supreme Court has refused to reconsider its ruling in a 2009 election dispute that kicked two women off the Atlantic Beach, S.C. council.
The ruling also ordered the women who finished first and second in the disputed election, Carolyn Cole and Windy Price, to take their positions on council immediately.
In a November 2009 election for two council seats, Cole and Price finished first and second.
The Atlantic Beach Election Commission certified Windy Price and Carolyn Cole as the winners.
With challenged votes counted, Windy Price ended up with 64 votes and Carolyn Cole with 52.
After a protest hearing claiming the two women were not residence the Atlantic Beach Election Commission ruled they were both ineligible and the two women were denied their seats on the council.
Price sued the election commission because her name was not on the ballot, even though she says she turned in the necessary paperwork on time. The commission also questioned her residency. Price ran as a write-in candidate.
Cole, formerly known as Atlantic Beach Town Manager Carolyn Montgomery, also ran as a write-in candidate. Folks had questioned her residency as well, as she was living in Florida.
Candidate’s qualifications for all offices, except SC Senate and SC House of Representatives, are determined at the time of the election and not at the time of filing or nomination. Qualifications for Senate and House are determined at the time of filing. For instance, for the office of town Council, the candidate must be 18 years of age, a resident of the county and/or district at the time of the election and a registered voter.
One is considered a resident of any place where he or she lives. Having a home in several states or locations only means that you have more than one residence. The real question is how one’s legal residence or domicile is determined, since you can have only one legal residence or domicile at any given time. Legal residence or domicile in South Carolina requires only one’s physical presence in South Carolina and a present intent to remain in South Carolina indefinitely. Because one’s present intent is such a subjective matter, evidence of one’s intent to acquire legal residence or domicile in South Carolina must be viewed under the totality of the circumstances. A change of legal residence may be documented by doing as many of the following actions as possible: (1) registering to vote in South Carolina, (2) changing vehicle registration and driver’s license(s) to South Carolina, (3) joining a Church in South Carolina, (4) buying real property and applying for the homestead exemption in South Carolina, (5) filing resident tax returns, (6) making a new will listing one’s domicile as South Carolina, (7) opening bank accounts and establishing business ties in South Carolina, (8) using one’s South Carolina address as the permanent address in all records and correspondence, and (9) selling one’s residence in the other state.
Known as The Black Pearl, Atlantic Beach is located in Horry County, S.C. about 13 miles northeast of Myrtle Beach. The 2000 census sets the population at approximately 351 people. African Americans accounts for 288 of that figure, thus making it a predominately black population.
Atlantic Beach started out in the 1930s as two tracts of oceanfront land bought by a black man named George Tyson, who invited other blacks working in Myrtle Beach to spend their days off at one of the few beaches in the Southeast not reserved for whites under Jim Crow laws.
Tyson eventually couldn’t afford the land, and sold it a decade later to a group of blacks in North and South Carolina who split the property into lots for hotels, nightclubs and summer homes. After World War II, many black doctors, lawyers and other professionals flocked to the beach, joined by former soldiers who had lived years earlier in temporary housing as they built an Air Force base.
There were bumper cars, a merry-go-round, a Ferris wheel and jukeboxes. Restaurants and stores lined the streets. “This was the destination for black people who sought a beach vacation.
When Jim Crow started dying in the 1960s, vacationers could stay at the bigger, more modern hotels and play at the amusement parks long closed to blacks. The luster of The Black Pearl began to fade.
Absentee landowners let their properties crumble, and corruption moved in. Vander Gore, a former town councilman and his two sons are spending life in federal prison for running a 20-year conspiracy in selling marijuana heroin and cocaine in the town.
On March 24, 2008 South Carolina law enforcement officials arrested Irene Armstrong the former mayor of Atlantic Beach, SC and Marcia Conner, the former town manager of the community, charging them with various felony and misdemeanor offenses.
Armstrong and Conner were briefly jailed at J. Reuben Long Detention Center in Conway before posting $15,000 bail each.
Gov. Mark Sanford of “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina†fame issued an order suspending Armstrong, one day after she was charged with three felony counts of bribery at elections and two misdemeanor counts of misconduct in office.
Conner is charged with two counts of misconduct in office and one count of violating an employer’s obligation to police retirement funds.â€
According to the Grand Jury indictment, Conner allegedly transferred money from the police retirement fund to the town’s General Fund. She also allegedly used seized drug trafficking money for General Fund expenses, as well.
In addition to being charged with collusion in the budgeting mess, former Mayor, Armstrong is charged with bribing two voters with a total of $30 to vote for her brother who was campaigning for a seat on the town council at the time.
Conner, 50, was City Manager in Durham, NC from 2001 until she was forced to resign in 2004. An independent audit of city contracts revealed that Conner had apparently approved more than $270,000 in contracts without following proper bid procedures. In August 2007, she was candidate for the City Manager’s post in Oberlin, OH, but withdrew herself from contention.
Armstrong lost the mayoral election to Retha Pierce by 13 votes out of 85 cast. That election, of course, took three tries over the course of 14 months to complete.
In the first election, then councilwoman Retha Pierce, defeated incumbent mayor Irene Armstrong in the November 2007 election by one vote, but was one vote shy of winning a majority of votes.
Pierce’s one-vote win over Armstrong was appealed to the state’s high court, and the justices ruled unanimously that a new election should be held. Pierce fell just a few votes short of the majority needed for an outright victory, so a runoff was scheduled Dec. 16. Mayor Pro-tem Charlene Taylor who has close ties with Armstrong mounted a write-in candidacy.
Out of the 374 registered voters in Atlantic Beach, 71 voters turned out to the polls, including nearly a dozen absentee ballots. Pierce prevailed.
Nine days after the first round of voting in that election, Pierce was arrested by Horry County police officer Robert Dale for reckless driving and failing to properly signal.
A Horry County jury could not reach a verdict in the case in October, with five jurors voting to convict, and one juror deciding Pierce was not guilty.
Then, less than a month into her term, Pierce was arrested for disorderly conduct after she took issue with not being able to access the mayor’s office inside the City Hall.
Pierce was also arrested and charged with one count of hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without insurance in April.
Pierce was scheduled for trial on 9/17/09 on the trespassing charge. The day before Pierce was arrested on a DUI charge in Marion County in a parking lot.
According to a close friend, Pierce who was running an errand for a friend began to feel sleepy and pulled over inside the parking lot to rest.
Former Gov. Mark Sanford suspended Pierce at the request of State Representative Tracy Edge (R-Horry County). Edge himself appears to have a dog in this fight as a result of an altercation between his wife and her lover which was caught on video.
Incumbent Councilwoman Charlene Taylor who had the second highest number of votes at 39 on election night, but ended up losing her seat in the November 2009 election. Her final vote count was 43.
Taylor who as Mayor Pro Tem was named as the acting Mayor as a result of Reitha Pierce suspension by Mark Don’t Cry For Me Argentina Sanford.
Pierce was recently reinstated as Mayor after the charges of hit and run and DUI were dropped.
Incumbents Taylor and Isom held on to the seats during the appeals which ended with a scathing opinion from Chief Justice Jean Toal. In her opinion, Chief Justice Toal stated the following: “We have grown weary of the shenanigans engaged in by all parties involved in the election process at Atlantic Beach, and will not hesitate to issue sanctions if the election laws of this State continue to be blatantly disregarded,â€
Lawyers for the town Election Commission and incumbent councilwomen Josephine Isom and Charlene Taylor asked the Supreme Court to rehear the case. In their motion, they pointed out the Elections Board first declared Cole and Price winners two days after the election and only overturned the results of the voting during a protest hearing a few weeks later.
They also defended unsuccessfully the actions of the town manager, who is the husband of one of the members of the Election Board, when he asked a utility to turn off power to an apartment Cole and Price planned to live in to establish residency. The board’s lawyers said the town manager did that with every derelict building to assure it passed an inspection before the power was turned back on.
In their ruling, the justices suggested it was part of a scheme to make sure Cole and Price couldn’t get on the ballot for the November election. The Election Board ruled against the women in part because they determined they were not residents of Atlantic Beach.
After Cole and Price were sworn in, interim town manager Benny Webb fired the entire police force of three. The Black Pearl is now being protected by Horry County police. See video below
On November 1, 2011 voting machines from Florida’s 2000 Presidential election was used in the mayoral election. this is raising a new set of problems for the Concerned Citizens of Atlantic Beach, S.C..
Take a listen to Carolyn Cole, Windy Price, Darnell Price and Nicole Kenion as that talk about being thankful for being triumphant over political corruption and their continued fight for democracy and justice for the citizens of Atlantic Beach, S.C.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM

32 posts, read 68,629 times
that is way too long for me to read, but people would always tell me to stay away from atlantic beach because of the drugs and criminal vibe. I heard you can't go down the street without people bombarding your car for drugs. All HS rumors I'm sure, but enough for me to stay away.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,731 times
I just left Atlantic Beach, SC--touring, gathering information, etc. After seeing the residents--especially in the apartment dwellings--I was saddened. Looking into the eyes of the tenants I saw hopelessness. Yes, infrastructures fail to meet my expectations, but I asked: Where are the developers? What about job creation? Economic development? Decent housing? Revenue? City, State, and Federal support? Can one imagine what these avenues if made available would mean to the Town of Atlantic Beach? Even large cities are declaring bankruptcy! Let us not be too quick to judge (actually misjudge) before we consider all the facts, as well as causes and effects.

In summation, Atlantic Beach should continue to hold on to its rich heritage, and seek ways to revitalize it instead of selling out to or being absorbed by NMB.

P.S. To the person commenting about drugs, etc., what city is free of drugs? Let me quickly say that I do not condone pushing or using illegal drugs, but I am aware that the real dealers--i.e. the ones at the top--are the ones who prey on inner cities and poor people. Also, as I drove through Atlantic Beach in my Benz, all I received from the residents was a hand wave. I had no fear of them because I understood their plight.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

For a long time, I pulled for 'em to find a way out of their mess, but finally became convinced the town's leadership was more interested in finger pointing and in-fighting than in doing the hard work necessary to recover. North Myrtle Beach has offered on several occasions to annex AB, providing them with fire and police services, as well as gradually upgrading their infrastructure. At this point, it would be the best solution to a very bad situation. AB has oceanfront properties that are deserted and overgrown, with very little value. Within a very short time after becoming part of NMB, these properties would be worth $million+. The town "leadership" refuses to even discuss the subject with NMB. A sad, sad story...
Is Atlantic Beach's roads still blocked/cut-off from Crescent Beach and Windy Hill?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM

Yep, still blocked, which is not only an economic disaster but a major safety issue since both fire and law enforcement is being provided by NMB.

A couple weeks ago, one of AB's council members, or maybe a former council member, made a comment at a non-govt meeting that AB was studying either a merger or a dissolution entirely. That set off the damnest firestorm they've had in awhile. The new mayor was quick to separate that from any official town position, but stopped short of completely denying it. The saga continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area