Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM

72 posts, read 142,056 times

Advertisements

Is it biker friendly there? Where can I go to hear classic rock bands? Is there a town that has a main strip with biker bars or that plays 60's, 70's, 80's southern/classic rock? What genre dominates the area? What towns/areas can I find this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
Myrtle Beach is first and foremost a tourist town, gradually mutating into a retirement community. Bikers make up a small but significant portion of the tourists, with 3 bike rallies every year. Unfortunately, a noisy segment of the retirees have mounted campaigns against bikers and bike activities, presumably because it interferes with their 8pm bed times. As a result, the City of Myrtle Beach has enacted punitive measures against bikers, including a helmet law that was eventually overturned by state courts. Fortunately, the actual city of MB makes up only a small portion of the overall MB area. Bikers still enjoy this area, they just avoid visiting and spending their money within city limits.

There are quite a few biker bars spread around the area. One hot spot is on the South end, around Murrells Inlet, near the Inlet Square Mall. A few that come to mind are SBB, Beaver Bar and Broken Spoke. There are a couple others around there also. HB Spokes is a big one on the north end of the area, and I'm sure there are others spread out around and about the area.

At one time, the music genre down here was beach music, but now most of the residents and tourists have no clue what beach music is. Today, the genre is whatever the tourists want to hear, ranging from rock to country to Buffett to Rocky Top. Most of the biker bars will have live music during the tourist season and during the rallies. DeadDog Saloon in Murrells Inlet is very touristy but also popular with bikers. They probably schedule as many classic rock bands as anybody, but it varies every nite.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM

253 posts, read 470,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
At one time, the music genre down here was beach music, but now most of the residents and tourists have no clue what beach music is.
Say it ain't so, PawleysDude

No shaggin' to beach music?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Say it ain't so, PawleysDude...
Oh Shabby, it's worse than you can imagine. NMB is keepin' the faith, with Ducks, Fat Harolds and the rest of 'em going strong. Other 'n that, it's just sad. Studebakers closed several years ago in MB, and with the Pavilion long gone, it's a different world. You go to a bar, and all the requests are for Neil Diamond, Springsteen, Celine Dion ..... Been a long long time since I've heard anybody request a song by the Tams, General Johnson, the Embers....

On the positive side, the junior shaggers have been holdin' court all week in NMB. We didn't drive up, but we saw some clips of good dancin' by those who will keep the legend alive.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
OD in the 60's shagging. Before I retired and was still working I attended SOS at NMB and couldn't go to work the following week due to blisters on my much older feet.

I have been to the Biker bars SBB, Broken Spoke and HB Spokes ... but no beach music there. Actually SBB was so loud, blasting their music above the noise of the burnout pit all I recall was ZZ Top. My motorcycle is put up since my knee surgery and shagging has stopped with bad knees too.

But .... Beach Music Will Never Die!

Carolina Girls General Johnson and the Chairman of the Board - YouTube

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Is the Bowery still there?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
MB is a wantabee biker town. Already in May( best time for people wanting to visit BEFORE the school kiddies arrive ) every year the entire area is turned over to the motorbike crowd for what seems like a month.If you want more bikes than this you need to join a biker gang. If you want to wait untill the millions of school kids go back to school before you come down guess what? You will face another round of bikers in the fall.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Is the Bowery still there?
Still going strong, but I haven't been there in a long time. They threw a big shindig for Alabama a few months ago, when they were in town for a concert. Alabama was the house band there in their early days. That place brings back some stories, but I won't go there...

Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
...That place brings back some stories, but I won't go there...
ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area