Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 AM

438 posts, read 831,638 times

Advertisements

I find it amazing that compact discs have been around since 1983 and yet there are so many bands or albums which have never been re-issued on cd to this day. Do you know of any bands/albums that you like that are only on vinyl or cassette? Here a several that I know(mostly 80s new wave):

Tom Tom Club -"Close To The Bone"
The Payola$ -their complete discography (although they do have a greatest hits cd)
The Vels -"Velocity" & "House of Miracles"
Endgames - "Building Beauty"
Industry-"Stranger To Stranger"
I Level- S/T
The World - "Break The Silence"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:27 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Bloody Hell..You are kiddin???
There are 1000`s,,,,,,

Old 05-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Bloody Hell..You are kiddin???
There are 1000`s,,,,,,

I know..there are more but I just listed a few as an example. If I listed all that I know, it would take me along while to list them.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:59 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Don`t bother brother,,Enjoy the crackles,,

Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Sad to say but the ones that haven't made it yet probably won't make it to cd. Downloads maybe, but not cd's. But sometimes you do get surprised.

I've always had an affection for an album on Atlantic from a band called Black Pearl, from 1969, 1970 or so. Have three vinyl copies. Almost fell off the chair when I saw Wounded Bird reissued it on cd.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Hi XLI guy! I.m gonna have to put on my thunking cap on that one, but Lincolnshire is right, There are lots of music in all genres still not on CD yet but there are always surprises that come down the pike. One thing I appreciate is 2 labels that do a good job on the obscurities here stateside; Collectors Choice and Rhino. I may or may not put out one of my 20 line, rambling irrelevant posts BUT this is a GREAT thread for discussion!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:27 PM

OK, here goes- but I'll only go with one genre-Bluegrass music. IMHO, Bluegrass is still woefully short on reissuing back catalog. I don't know how many albums Flying Fish put out in its history but it's a bunch. Ridge Runner as well. I will say this; they are not in the same category as Sony, Capitol, Atlantic, etc., regarding money to work with, but one of the better bluegrass bands to record on that label was the New Grass Revival. Their CD output is - not a lot. They signed with Capitol in the mid-80's.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Another format that could stand some improvement is the Country Western field. On the "song you're listening to format" I listed a Bonnie Guitar song. I knew I was going to get a 'who is she response'. In her early years she was one of the very few, if possibly the only, woman session guitarist working out of the Los Angeles area. She started her own record label called Dolphin, which evolved into Dolton Records. Their two big stars at the time was the Fleetwoods and the Ventures. Original pressings of their first few LP's have a dolphin on them. Bonnie and her business partner sold the label to Liberty Records. Continuing her career, she put out close to 20 albums on Dot and ABC-Paramount, and a few more on her local label. AND HOW MUCH OF HER MATERIAL IS ON CD?? 3, maybe 4. And with this type of background, and she is not in the Country Music Hall of Fame? Hey Nashville, where did you guys go to college-at the university of DUHHH?? Just goes to show the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't have a monopoly on stupidity- the Country Hall of Fame has a few things they need to fix as well!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Hey Double H, I would have guessed that Bluegrass and Country Western are two genres that are really amiss when it comes to being on cd, as your posts illustrate quite well. I would also guess that alot of blues and rock from the 1950s are not on cd either. I am surprised a label like Collector's Choice has not picked up on the Bonnie Guitar discography? I am really suprised that she is not in the Country Hall of Fame. It is amazing what goes on in the music business!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Bonnie Guitar certainly had music cred and talent. But her overall impact on the country charts was minimal, only two top ten hits between 1957 and 1980. Remember too, in the years she was releasing albums, a huge seller in the country field was considered to be around thirty-thousand copies. Sales like that were usually reserved for someone like Ernest Tubb, Faron Young and so on. Most of those albums will never see cd release. Bonnie probably didn't sell five thousand copies of each album, if that. There might be a market for a best of but your sales would be a thousand or two-thousand copies max.

As for HOF entry, no, she didn't have that big of an impact on the genre. I'm sincerely speaking respectfully too. Call me fluent in "classic country" and a radio vet who hosted a country oldies show for ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music