Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Note: Auto-tune. A lot of commercial music from the last few years was plagued by auto-tune, making most of the music from this period irrelevant.
So true! 20 years from now, people are going to look back at the over-use of Auto-tune the same way people today look at the ridiculous hair styles those 80's glam metal bands wore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,335,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Note: Auto-tune. A lot of commercial music from the last few years was plagued by auto-tune, making most of the music from this period irrelevent.
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Auto Tune is the Heil Talk Box of the current generation. Like the Talk Box, Auto Tune will never go away, but it will be cemented to the current acts that overuse it, just as the Talk Box is cemented to Peter Frampton and many of his '70s guitar contemporaries.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Auto Tune is the Heil Talk Box of the current generation. Like the Talk Box, Auto Tune will never go away, but it will be cemented to the current acts that overuse it, just as the Talk Box is cemented to Peter Frampton and many of his '70s guitar contemporaries.
As much as I dislike Peter Frampton, at least he and the other guys who used the talk box could actually play their instruments decently!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM

503 posts, read 711,297 times
auto tune is bull crap. I just watched a special on jennifer hudson the other day, and i wa slike damn she has some pipes. why isn't she ever on the radio? but stupid,no talent, kesha is.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,269,853 times
There is so many examples from different decades to use but this one really hits home. Two songs from 1982 and both were popular in 1982. Today Modern English will damn near make any serious music lover erp!LMAO........ While George is still very-very popular! See what I mean?

YouTube - I Melt with You - Modern English (1982)

YouTube - George Thorogood - Bad to The Bone

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
To me classic is stuff that stood the test of time. While "dated" could refer to gimmicky genres of music (such as disco, hair metal, or nu metal) that were simply favors of the month and completely overblown during their time.
You got it! That's it right there...it doesn't matter how old someone is, but somewhere in their life they've heard a particular song. That is timeless music that stands the test of time and crosses the generations. That's what makes a classic!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,801,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I've always wondered how some songs that were popular in their time are now seen as sounding "dated" while other are upheld as "classic." What, in your opinion, is the criteria that should be used to distinguish between songs that will stand the test of time vs. songs that will be seen as representative of their time and nothing more than that?
well, it is definitely a matter of opinion

to me, if it was popular at the time, and it sucks now, it was a fad that is "dated". Usually this is a "new sound", that winds up being annoying. Generally speaking, this type of music is easily replicated. Any jackass can come along and start a "disco band", any jackass can come along and sound like Nickelback.

to be a classic, it doesn't matter if it was popular then, what matters is that it was good then, and it is still good now. Miles Davis, for example, is not easily replicated.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM

I had to revive this thread. I had a discussion last night with a music colleague, and we were talking about outdated music production techniques like the boomy drum reverb that was so popular in the 1980's. What are some other music production techniques that haven't stood the test of time? I think we've already mentioned Auto Tune, which is likely to go down as one of the most dated-sounding gimmicks around. Ke$ha and T-Pain don't stand a chance at being "classic" in the future.

Last edited by passionatearts; 04-05-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,461,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I had to revive this thread. I had a discussion last night with a music colleague, and we were talking about outdated music production techniques like the boomy drum reverb that was so popular in the 1980's. What are some other music production techniques that haven't stood the test of time? I think we've already mentioned Auto Tune, which is likely to go down as one of the most dated-sounding gimmicks around. Ke$ha and T-Pain don't stand a chance at being "classic" in the future.
Auto-Tune is current so thus it is not dated. As if it stands time, we will have to wait and see. Auto-Tune didn't start becoming a "gimmick" since a couple years back when people started copying T-Pain.

Unfortunetly for you though, T-Pain has won 2 Grammys and has been performing for almost 10 years. Far from just a gimmick (for him). Music containing him will be played for years on Hip Hop stations. Guaranteed.

As for Ke$ha, she has one album out plus a recent EP. She only has been out since last January. We wont know how "classic" or not classic she will be until years from now.

Classic to me equates to longivity and how popular you were during that time. Did the artist have success enough to keep a long career? Is it music I remember and can listen to years from now?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Auto-Tune is current so thus it is not dated. As if it stands time, we will have to wait and see. Auto-Tune didn't start becoming a "gimmick" since a couple years back when people started copying T-Pain.

Unfortunetly for you though, T-Pain has won 2 Grammys and has been performing for almost 10 years. Far from just a gimmick (for him). Music containing him will be played for years on Hip Hop stations. Guaranteed.
Just because T-Pain has won some Grammys and popular acclaim doesn't mean that his music's production style won't sound really dated in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music