Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,305,454 times

Advertisements

I've watched this a few times and I love it!

Lange and Barrymore are superb in their roles, and, having watched some of the Maysle's original documentary, I was amazed at how accurately they portrayed the Beales. Drew definitely deserved her Golden Globe in my opinion, and Jessica Lange her Emmy.

Even my husband enjoyed the movie, much to my surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
I thought it was Drew Barrymore's best work. She obviously studied Little Edie and all her mannerisms and speech patterns because she nailed it. Watch the documentary the the film is based on and you'll really see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HThPv...EE12F1&index=1

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,305,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I thought it was Drew Barrymore's best work. She obviously studied Little Edie and all her mannerisms and speech patterns because she nailed it. Watch the documentary the the film is based on and you'll really see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HThPv...EE12F1&index=1

Agreed - I watched some of the original documentary after I watched the movie and I was amazed at how Barrymore "became" Little Edie.

As someone on IMDB commented, she didn't just act the part, she channeled Little Edie.

Definitely Drew Barrymore at her best.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
I thought the movie was very good and that Barrymore did a great job.

I should point out that I lived in East Hampton at the time of the real events and remember quite well how the locals were up in arms about just how junkie the house had become (and just how many cats they had). I remember riding by the house on my bike. The grass was soooooo tall and the place was a true dump. A few years back we returned to East Hampton and drove past the house. What an incredible improvement.

Ken

Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
I had seen the original documentary way back in the 70's, and had put off seeing this new film until recently. What a great job everyone did, Jessica Lange as well as Barrymore. What a strange, bittersweet, crazy-cat-lady story. Loved the music.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:21 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,687,081 times
Now that I have become a fan of "Hoarders", I understand this movie more.
BTW Drew is most underrated, she was great!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM

426 posts, read 1,283,471 times
Default Grew

I don't get the critisism that Drew gets I thought she was excellent in this. I would like to see her do more serious roles like this, instead of the light comedies. I do like her in those also though. I just don't think they show her as capable as she can be. I would also like to see her do more directing.
I think she would be a real fun person to hang out with, seems to have a real friendly outgoing down to earth personality.
She gets a lot of undeserved bashing on the imdb boards.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I don't get the critisism that Drew gets I thought she was excellent in this. I would like to see her do more serious roles like this, instead of the light comedies. I do like her in those also though. I just don't think they show her as capable as she can be. I would also like to see her do more directing.
I think she would be a real fun person to hang out with, seems to have a real friendly outgoing down to earth personality.
She gets a lot of undeserved bashing on the imdb boards.
Yeah, I saw that bashing, too. Sometimes viewers begin to think they "own" a character and it almost becomes a cult. When remakes happen, people have their indignation and hyper-criticism ready. It becomes even worse when an actor receives an award. I wish I could think of a ready example, but there are several performers out there that people love to hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies