Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:32 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,365 times

Advertisements

A few I've seen recently... may have a little sex/profanity, but very tasteful:

Elizabethtown
The Notebook
Mozart and the Whale

All very sensitive subjects... even some tear jerker parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,780 times
Default good movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My husband and I like to watch movies, but we really like to steer away from those with a lot of profanity, sex and violence. The profanity bothers me more than anything Does anyone have any recommendations, besides obviously those that are G-rated and marketed for children?? I don't care if it's current or old. Thanks for any suggestions.
HI, great question: I have 5 children and so the varied ages has created the same "creative energy". Here are some: 3 Amigos, Count of Monte Cristo ( new or old verson), Second Hand Lions, Because of Winn dixie, Rudy. Hope that helps. : )

Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,171 times
Paper chase with walyter Mathou, its an old wone but boy did it make me crack up he is so mean, oh and of course grumpy old men, Happy feet, the origanl cheeper by the dozen, bad new bears,2010,contact, oh best of show

sorry a bit to tired

Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times
You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle i love....and Field of Dreams...and what's that one where the kid inherits the major league team?? shoot....Little Big League! (thank you google!)

Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 PM

930 posts, read 717,982 times
What about Bob? The Holiday, Real Genius, The Illusionist, The Prestige, Zathura, What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Immidiate Family, Employee of the Month, Bringing Down the House, The Last Holiday, Just Married,
Uptown Girls, My Life, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Cinderella man, Castaway, The Terminal

Just to name a few of my favorites!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Paper chase with walyter Mathou, its an old wone but boy did it make me crack up he is so mean, oh and of course grumpy old men, Happy feet, the origanl cheeper by the dozen, bad new bears,2010,contact, oh best of show

sorry a bit to tired
Paper Chase with Walter Matthau Aren't you referring to The First Monday in October? Paper Chase had John Houseman. Both films are very good btw.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecomeYourself View Post
HI, great question: I have 5 children and so the varied ages has created the same "creative energy". Here are some: 3 Amigos, Count of Monte Cristo ( new or old verson), Second Hand Lions, Because of Winn dixie, Rudy. Hope that helps. : )
Well, I was going to mention "Because of Winn Dixie" because I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but here it is. I'll second it, though.

Another one along the same lines is "Ociee Nash."
One of my other favorites is "Radio."
Here are a few others: Midway, Flight of the Phoenix (original version),The Alamo (John Wayne's version), Ben Hur, The Grapes of Wrath, The High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, Island at the Top of the World, 20000 Leauges Under the Sea, and Forever Young.

I like a lot of westerns, and many of the older ones don't have the rough language of the newer ones, but they have gunfights, fistfights, and that type of thing. I like most of John Wayne's westerns, due to the fact that there is very little profanity in them. Like most other westerns, though, there are shootouts and fistfights in them, too. As you would probably expect, these are conflicts between the good guys and the bad guys in these movies.

I really like "McClintock," which is one of the John Wayne movies telling the basic story of "The Taming of the Shrew." The other one is "The Quiet Man," which isn't exactly a western, since it's set in Ireland, but it's otherwise very similar to "McClintock."

Another western that is a favorite of mine is "Quigley Down Under" with Tom Selleck. It does have a few scenes that are slightly graphic, but they set the stage for the story, so are necessary to illustrate the events going on.

There are also the obvious children's movies that are generally pretty clean. The "Chronicles of Narnia" is one of my kids' favorites, along with the "Lord of the Rings" series. Of course there are also the animated ones, including some of my favorites, Spirit, Cars, The Incredibles, Toy Story, The Lion King, and Shrek.

There is another group of movies that might be worth mentioning, too. Those are the movies with a Christian theme, often with a strong Christian message. If you like that sort of movie, there are a couple that come to mind that I thought were very good. They are "Flywheel," "Joshua," and "Facing the Giants." Along the same lines are "The Omega Code" and the "Left Behind" series of movies.

That will probably give you even more options on movies to watch. I hope some of my choices meet with your approval.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 14,990 times
You should definitely check out "The Climb," a small little gem released in 1999. It stars John Hurt, David Strathairn, and a young Gregory Smith (pre-TV's "Everwood" fame -- he's just adorable!) .

Some pics

It's got everything you could want from a great movie -- it's heartwarming, touching, funny, nostalgic, dramatic, and exciting! It's the rare movie that doesn't insult anyone's intelligence and has something for everyone. It asks the question of what defines courage for each person.

You've got to see it! Great performances from a stellar cast and funny, action scenes for the kids. Highly recommended!

You can watch clips at the The Climb Official Site

It's written by the same person who wrote "Fly Away Home" (starring Anna Paquin), another great family movie I love.

Another family movie I adore is "A Little Princess." It was just magical and had a story for adults and children.

Last edited by MoveE; 05-07-2007 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 PM

930 posts, read 717,982 times
overboard -goldie hawn & Kurt russell

school of life -ryan reynolds

the goonies -sean astin, martha plimpton, corey feldman

the cure -brad renfro

Renaissance Man
matilda -danny davito

Empire of the sun - christian bale

weekend at bernies -andrew mccarthy

waterworld
dragonfly -kevin costner

titanic -leonardo dicaprio & kate winslet

shallow hal -jason alexander & Jack black

she's the man -amanda bynes & channing tatum
Step up -channing tatum

just one of the guys -no one too popular-1985 version of she's the man

war games
biloxi blues -mathew broderick

the cable guy -mathew broderick & Jim Carry
ace ventura -jim carry

mr. holland's opus -richard dreyfuss

beetlejuice -michael keaton

mermaids -winona ryder, cher, christina ricci

now and then -christina ricci, thora birch, rosie odonnel, demi moore

dirty rotten scoundrels
seargent bilko -steve martin

I dreamed of africa -kim basinger

the others -kim basinger

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Default Here's another one

The Straight Story ... I couldn't believe David Lynch directed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies